Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please choose up to four

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ghostbusters (1984)

23 79.31%
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

20 68.97%
  • Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)

14 48.28%
  • Elf (2003)

12 41.38%
  • Kingpin (1996)

8 27.59%
  • Being John Malkovich (1999)

8 27.59%
  • Knocked Up (2007)

6 20.69%
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

4 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 2 - Group A

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see why groups can't just be 100% random. It's easier and leaves everything up to chance. All this system really does is guarantee, with a fairer certainty, that the lowest ranked films from round 1 will be eliminated in round 2. Looking at the above poll, this is quite clear. The results in this poll literally go from highest percentage of Rd 1 votes to lowest percentage of Rd 2 votes. It's fundamentally flawed in that respect.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I don't see why groups can't just be 100% random. It's easier and leaves everything up to chance. All this system really does is guarantee, with a fairer certainty, that the lowest ranked films from round 1 will be eliminated in round 2. Looking at the above poll, this is quite clear. The results in this poll literally go from highest percentage of Rd 1 votes to lowest percentage of Rd 2 votes. It's fundamentally flawed in that respect.
    I don’t think it’s flawed. It’s how most brackets are designed. The only difference is that in sports, you have an entire season to determine which teams are theoretically better. Then the better teams are matched up with the weaker teams in the first round and more often than not, the weaker teams are gone after the first round or two.

If there’s a movie that truly deserves to be “best”, it should move on no matter what it’s competition is.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I don’t think it’s flawed. It’s how most brackets are designed. The only difference is that in sports, you have an entire season to determine which teams are theoretically better. Then the better teams are matched up with the weaker teams in the first round and more often than not, the weaker teams are gone after the first round or two.

If there’s a movie that truly deserves to be “best”, it should move on no matter what it’s competition is.
    FWIW, that's not the only difference. Sports teams face each other in actual play; this is purely measured every time by popularity alone.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The difference is this is group play. Brackets are designed 1 vs 1. Brackets are divided by conference and conference's are divided by divisions. There are no divisions and there are no conferences. Every single movie in this tournament is on an equal playing field. The way these groups are set up isn't putting first seed against last seed, it's just taking one, skipping how many groups there are down the list, then taking another one. If were going by seeds and the first round seeded them, the top four films should face the bottom four films.

If it were random there would be more chances for weaker films to move on and more chances for stronger films to be eliminated. Unlike sports where there is a chance of a great team playing a bad game and losing, there are no variables except the grouping itself. Seeding the films based on one round how each film individually performs, when the group makeup itself often dictates how many votes it gets per group, doesn't make much sense to me. If a 1 seed team sweeps a playoff series, then wins the next series in 7 games, their seed doesn't go down. The problem with this system is it separates all the top films essentially from competing with each other. We may as well just give the top two films from each group in the first round a bye since they won't be eliminated anyways. If randomness puts five of the top 10 films into one group and only four can advance...one must go, and it's more exciting and unpredictable.

And brackets are specifically divided by divisions and are strict about what winners face what winners. If this was to be done like an actual bracket, films would be place in divisions and the winners from the divisions would battle each other.

I still want to volunteer for running the Drama Tournament when we get to it in the future. I only kind of half ran the original tournament because, well, like got in the way, so others took over. I'd like a chance to at raising my own baby

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following four titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Ghostbusters (1984) 79.31%
    2. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) 68.97%
    3. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) 48.28%
    4. Elf (2003) 41.38%

And the following four titles have been eliminated:
    1. Being John Malkovich (1999) 27.59%
    2. Kingpin (1996) 27.59%
    3. Knocked Up (2007) 20.69%
    4. Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) 13.79%

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Wow, Fantastic Mr. Fox in last place here makes me sad.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Seeing Ferris Bueller's Day Off doing so well makes me sad.
    I just never saw it as being that funny. Classic movie, sure. But one of the greatest comedies? Nah.
    Plus, Ferris Bueller is a dick. And a bad friend.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    haha, just watched a little bit of it with a friend who had never seen it and he said basically the same thing.Ferris thinks he is better than everyone else and that he can break the rules and get away with it. he HATED Ferris and didn't understand why the movie is so popular at all. Of course he is older and I think this film is definitely a generational thing.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Kingpin is in 5th place?

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    haha, just watched a little bit of it with a friend who had never seen it and he said basically the same thing.Ferris thinks he is better than everyone else and that he can break the rules and get away with it. he HATED Ferris and didn't understand why the movie is so popular at all. Of course he is older and I think this film is definitely a generational thing.
    I watched it growing up, but didn't realize what a jerk he was until I got older. Just the way that he treats Cameron is bad enough. Sure, he tries to pass it off as doing Cameron a favor for pushing him to the point of doing stuff outside of his comfort zone, or whatever. That doesn't justify him pressuring Cameron to steal his dad's car. He's just a jerk. I don't blame his sister for despising him.

Kingpin is in 5th place?

I really hated that Kingpin was eliminated. It's hilarious.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I've read on some websites and have kind of always thought that Cameron and Sloane should end up together and that maybe subconsciously, Ferris was trying to bring trouble to Cameron's doorstep because Ferris realizes that in the end he wouldn't wind up with Sloane but rather Cameron would and Ferris resents Cameron for this.

That's deep. And makes some sense.

Either way: Ferris Bueller = jerk

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Those four films that got eliminated....will the travesty ever end?
    This is me right now

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Kingpin is in 5th place?

I really hated that Kingpin was eliminated. It's hilarious.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    We've got two Will Ferrel movies here but I'm really surprised to see Elf doing so well. I was sure people would simply pick the better Ferrel.
    That would have been better.

... I don't blame (Ferris Bueller's) sister for despising him.
    She didn't do so for reasons as good as yours, though.
    I wouldn't call it classic, even, but it is iconic. It was crafted deliberately to make strong impressions. Slow motion imagery, quotable one-liners, etc. It's real art, but absolutely overrated. Thank you for recognizing that it's kind of hollow.

That's deep. And makes some sense.
    Probably deeper than the film deserves and what's up with the scene where Ferris comes across the two chics sunbathing at like 5 in the afternoon IN THE SHADE, on a day where Ferris is wearing a jacket? What kind of drugs where they on???

I never even thought about it, but you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    ... I don't blame (Ferris Bueller's) sister for despising him.
    She didn't do so for reasons as good as yours, though.
    I wouldn't call it classic, even, but it is iconic. It was crafted deliberately to make strong impressions. Slow motion imagery, quotable one-liners, etc. It's real art, but absolutely overrated. Thank you for recognizing that it's kind of hollow.
    It's funny how, growing up watching the movie, I always thought "Jeez, what's Ferris's sister's problem. She's such a bitch." Then, I grew up and watched the movie and totally saw things from her perspective- even though her reasons may be different than my own.
    To be honest, of all the films John Hughes did, it's gotta be my least favorite. The sad thing is, I recognize how iconic it is (which is a better word for it than "classic" ). I just can't get over my severe distaste for Ferris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2