Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terry Pratchett

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Terry Pratchett

http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/terry...ead-at-66.html
    Author Terry Pratchett died Thursday after a long battle with early onset Alzheimer's, a disease he called an "embuggerance." He was 66. Born to a middle-class family outside London, Pratchett worked briefly as a journalist before publishing his first novel, The Carpet People, at age 23. The flat world of that book would later inspire the setting of his crowning literary achievement, the 40-book Discworld series, set in a fantasy world balanced on the back of a giant turtle. Fans were attracted by Pratchett's trademark blend of light satire and warm humor, and he was the U.K.'s best-selling author of the 1990s. He was knighted in 2009 for his "services to literature," an honor Pratchett said he was "flabberghasted" by. A year later, he gave a moving lecture about Alzheimer's, euthanasia, and death for The Guardian, concluding, "If I knew that I could die at any time I wanted, then suddenly every day would be as *precious as a million pounds. If I knew that I could die, I would live. My life, my death, my choice."
    I've read the first Discworld novel, The Colour of Magic, a long while ago. I loved it but never got back into the rest of the series. I really should get going. RIP, sir.

Gunslinger Apprentice mkb.redux will become famous soon enough mkb.redux will become famous soon enough mkb.redux's Avatar

RIP, indeed. A bright light.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Sad to hear this. He was one of my favorites.

John

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

sad news - always enjoyed Good omens and his work with Gaiman.
    Fair thee well...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not to turn the thread right to commerce after this tragic news, but as we are all book lovers here and some are book collectors, apparently in the UK they've been putting out the Discworld novels in new uniform hardovers, and they look fantastic:

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2013/10/an...ctors-library/
    This project, developed in consultation with Sir Terry Pratchett, will see the release of a beautiful, affordable new set of hardback editions of the Discworld novels, from The Colour of Magic to Jingo, for readers who love the Discworld and would like high quality editions to treasure.

Sir Terry Pratchett said: ‘The truth is that even big collections of ordinary books can distort space, as can readily be proved by anyone who has been around a really old-fashioned second-hand bookshop, so just think what a lovely big collection of Discworld novels like this might do’

Gollancz began publishing the Discworld novels, which have sold more than 85 million copies around the world, in hardback in 1987 and have worked with Sir Terry Pratchett ever since. He has become the most shop-lifted author in the UK, selling more than 2.5 million copies every year, and these will be the most desirable editions of his novels yet published.

The eye-catching covers are by Joe McLaren, and we’re sure you’ll agree they’re a bold but inspired new look for these much-loved books. The Discworld Collector’s Library will be published thematically, beginning in November 2013, as stunning B-format hardbacks at an affordable £9.99 – and that’s cutting our own throats!
    Sadly, it's only the first 21 (out of now 41) novels, it appears, though this may change in the future. But they sure look stunning. If we get confirmation that the entire series will be published in this series, I'll definitely go for it.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Those books look great. I never read anything by him, although I've heard the Discworld books are really funny. One of these days...Rest In Peace Mr. Pratchett.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Like I said, I only read the first one and it was great. Very funny. Would love to own the whole series is this edition.

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/...will-continue/
    We’re excited to announce that the Discworld Collector’s Library will continue!

By popular demand, this collection of beautiful but affordable hardback editions, currently available up to Jingo, will now expand to include all the adult Discworld novels. The first four new additions – The Last Continent, Carpe Jugulum, The Fifth Elephant and The Truth – are coming to a shelf near you in time for Hogswatch. And here is the exclusive first look at Joe McLaren’s stylish covers for them!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Did they not notice all those covers almost say Terry Pretchett?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

So I had a couple of Amazon gift cards laying around and so I splurged and ordered all 21 of these editions that have been released so far. I had a few in the older hardcover editions, but it'll be great having a uniform set. I do hope they do finish it off with the YA novels, too.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

RIP sir Pratchett you will be missed! A friend of mine has all 41 of the original collection and loaned me two,(which I loved) and now wish I had them all to do his master piece justice...

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I did know of his passing last year, but I missed seeing this thread. Thanks for posting again and bumping it. It's great that those new hardcovers are coming out.

They say you shouldn't live in the past, but reading through this thread put me in a nostalgic mood and I started reminiscing about the time I met Terry when he did a book signing at my store in South Africa. As I was thinking of those days, I found myself in my garage going through old boxes of photos and I thought I might share some of them.

This signing took place on November 30, 1993. That would put Terry at 45 years old. It was a terrific time, and Terry was very very patient. He signed for hours and hours as there was a line of people out the store and up the sidewalk. Terry you are missed.

Country
    Country Flag

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    That was a really good watch. Very interesting and enjoyable.

Country
    Country Flag

In addition to the "regular" hardcover library editions of the main Discworld novels, Doubleday is also coming out with gift editions of the five YA novels:

Country
    Country Flag

It looks like in October the next four Discworld Collector's Library hardcovers will be published: Thief of Time, Night Watch, Monstrous Regiment, and Going Postal. They're skipping The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky, as expected, and both were just published the the new gift editions. But they're also skipping The Last Hero and The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, which is strange and bothers my OCD being. There better be something. After this there are five main Discworld novels left: Thud!, Making Money, Unseen Academicals, Snuff, and Raising Steam. Plus there's also the short story collection A Blink of the Screen.

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I've never read anything by Pratchett but check this out....

Terry Pratchett's unfinished novels crushed by a steamroller

Country
    Country Flag

Traveler GTG will become famous soon enough GTG will become famous soon enough GTG's Avatar

Loved his books since I was a child. Must have most of the collection now and there are genuine LOL moments

Country
    Country Flag

Great news! The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents as well as the Tiffany Aching novels are being published as part of the Discworld Collector's Library hardcovers! At this point, the only main Discworld novel not published in this amazing edition is The Last Hero.

https://www.discworldemporium.com/21...ctor-s-library

+ Reply to Thread