• Brazil (1985)

7 25.00%
  • Mister Roberts (1955)

7 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group Q

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, all three are good (though I'm not sure a short like The Music Box is really appropriate among features, but I'm okay either way). I would like to avoid having to have tiebreakers for the last group, as that will prolong the first round by a week.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yesssssss

Now everyone that hasn't watched the brilliance that is Spinal Tap will now have an opportunity to do so.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm not sure a short like The Music Box is really appropriate among features
    I could have gone ahead and nominated The Flying Deuces and probably gotten another second. If we had ended up with a situation where every group in Round 1 had a Laurel and Hardy picture and a Danny Kaye picture, plus one of Bill Murray's roles, a Mel Brooks movie, a Zucker Bros., a Coen Bros., a Marx Bros., and a Kevin Smith movie, that might have been more fair than what we have now, where that's basically halfway true. Maybe not the best way to use the 200 openings assigned to begin with, but this is one of the biggest problems with these polls. Everybody has a different outlook and their own policy. If you associate related works to a given competitor, it creates an advantage over a film that stands alone... particularly if you choose to ignore the negative associations. Somebody could look at the whole Police Academy series and just say "That's a lot of laughs." To admit that there are also more scenes that are NOT funny in the whole set than there are in any one of the movies requires that they decide to look at it that way. Of course it is easier to write a short film like this one that keeps you laughing the whole way through than it is to do the same for two hours. But we probably should have dealt with this before now. It might not be right to just vote for something else and pretend that the same issue doesn't still exist in the way we are judging some but not all of the other comedians as if the full context of moviemaking around them was less important.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Meanwhile we're still tied here for sixth! Gotta break that tie!

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Major League (1989) 53.57%
    2. This Is Spinal Tap (1984) 42.86%
    3. See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) 35.71%
    4. Brazil (1985) 25.00%
    5. Mister Roberts (1955) 25.00%
    6. The Music Box (1932) 25.00%

And the following four titles have been eliminated:
    1. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) 21.43%
    2. Withnail and I (1987) 21.43%
    3. Meet the Feebles (1989) 17.86%
    4. In & Out (1997) 14.29%

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Royal Tenenbaums is gone....so is Withnail and I....I don't want to live in this world! lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I'm rather shocked that a lesser known film like Mister Roberts beat them out.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

So my favourite film of all time has been voted out already. Huh.

Excuse me one moment:

Spoiler:

Oh well.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, let's blame Mister Roberts after Major League somehow got like a thousand votes.

I guess that kind of thing is just not even news anymore. You simply get used to it eventually and try to work around uncritically, like bad weather or gun violence.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    So my favourite film of all time has been voted out already. Huh.

Excuse me one moment:

Spoiler:

Oh well.
    I'll get to Withnail and I eventually, don't you worry.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

This round was tough for me
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Major League getting first place makes no sense. But some here really like it for some reason.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Little known fact about Major League. The White Sox actually won the world series in that movie. It's not brought up until the sequel and it's kind of a throw-away line by Harry Doyle but it's there.

Since the White Sox are the "villian" team in the sequel he says something about how they beat the Indians in the championship series and then lucked out again in the World Series.

EDIT:

"Out to spoil the fun are those pale hosers from the windy city, who squeaked by the tribe a year ago in the playoffs and lucked out again in the world series."
    Last edited by Iwritecode; 03-17-2015 at 05:56 AM. Reason: found the quote
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL Mo on steriods and a great song!!! The greatest closer never to save an actual game!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Little known fact about Major League. The White Sox actually won the world series in that movie. It's not brought up until the sequel and it's kind of a throw-away line by Harry Doyle but it's there.

Since the White Sox are the "villian" team in the sequel he says something about how they beat the Indians in the championship series and then lucked out again in the World Series.

EDIT:

"Out to spoil the fun are those pale hosers from the windy city, who squeaked by the tribe a year ago in the playoffs and lucked out again in the world series."
    It took the White Sox a little longer to win their first championship since 1917 in real life, but the real life Indians still haven't won since 1948.

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

EDIT:

It took the White Sox a little longer to win their first championship since 1917 in real life, but the real life Indians still haven't won since 1948.

True, but they are still second on the list. There's another team that's been waiting since 1908.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

EDIT:

True, but they are still second on the list. There's another team that's been waiting since 1908.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3