Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Meet the Fockers (2004)

13 54.17%
  • This Is the End (2013)

11 45.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group E (Tiebreaker)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group E (Tiebreaker)

For the tiebreaker poll, please vote for one title to move on to the next round. The poll will be open for four days.

Meet the Fockers (2004)

Watch Trailer

This Is the End (2013)

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is surprisingly close so far and it shouldn't be. Watch that trailer again for TITE.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I will abstain, as I have not seen This is the End.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This Is The End FTW! Just brought it back to a tie!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm shocked there are 6 people on the planet that think Meet the Fockers was good. I'm going to justify it by saying 6 people thought they were voting for Meet the Parents. Judging by the success of the far inferior sequel, Meet the Parents is going to go a long way.

Exhibit A why Fockers should go. Just dreadful.

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was going to vote for Meet the Fockers just because of how little I liked This is the End but you have now convinced me neither deserves my vote.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't hate it totally, but I'm still not convinced I should try to see This Is the End.

Abstaining.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I know I've posted it before, but desperate times and all. If it pleases the court, I'd like to call my client to the stand:

Country
    Country Flag

This Is the End is hilarious throughout and insanely meta. It's awesome.

Gunslinger Apprentice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I vote for Meet the Fockers! Dustin Hoffman is my fav.
    Hyman Roth - Minister of Foreign Affairs of THE CRIMSON KING

Country
    Country Flag

Those voting against TITE, I would love to hear their view on why Fockers is better. I understand that humor is very subjective, but still. TITE is a much funnier and better made film. Fockers has a lowly 38% on RT, while TITE is a whopping 88%.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't see either one, so am not voting. But I must say, the trailers for Fockers looked so bad that I can't imagine having to sit through it. I though the first movie was passable at best.

This Is The End at least looked funny enough for me to put it in my Netflix queue.

Country
    Country Flag

You still have time to watch it and vote. The poll will close in three days.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mosheprigan View Post
    Streisand + Hoffman are pure magic!

sk

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mosheprigan View Post
    Streisand + Hoffman are pure magic!

sk
    Pure magic in Fockers? Wow.

It's easily one of Hoffman's worst performances of his career. Some truly cringe-worthy scenes.

I love Hoffman too, but this isn't Kramer vs. Kramer or Rain Man. You have to vote for the film, not the actor in the film. I could make the case that after Meet the Fockers, Hoffman stopped getting good movie roles.

By the logic you guys are using, you would consider Little Fockers a good film as well. If that's the case, I just don't know what to say.

EDIT: Then again it seems like I'm preaching to the choir since you have Streisand as your profile pic.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

FYI, preaching to the choir doesn't fit since you don't hold the same opinion. It would be more like preaching to an atheist.

Anyway, Fockers isn't good but neither is TITE. I had high expectations for TITE and was let down when I watched it. I was actually kind of disgusted by the movie.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

It's easily one of Hoffman's worst performances of his career. Some truly cringe-worthy scenes.

I love Hoffman too, but this isn't Kramer vs. Kramer or Rain Man. You have to vote for the film, not the actor in the film. I could make the case that after Meet the Fockers, Hoffman stopped getting good movie roles.
    Okay, let's analyse that....

First of all, Dustin Hoffman's role in Meet The Fockers won him the MTV Movie Award for Best Comedic Performance in 2005. So it's hardly one of the worst performances of his career.

Secondly, since the release of Meet The Fockers in December 2004, Dustin Hoffman has gained further critical acclaim with the following film roles:

2008 - Kung Fu Panda - won the Annie Award for Best Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production.

2009 - Last Chance Harvey - Nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy.

2010 - Barney's Version - won the Genie Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role. He also won the Vancouver Film Critics Circle Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Canadian Film.

It's therefore quite apparent that Dustin Hoffman is still getting good movie roles.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

First of all, Dustin Hoffman's role in Meet The Fockers won him the MTV Movie Award for Best Comedic Performance in 2005. So it's hardly one of the worst performances of his career.

Secondly, since the release of Meet The Fockers in December 2004, Dustin Hoffman has gained further critical acclaim with the following film roles:

2008 - Kung Fu Panda - won the Annie Award for Best Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production.

2009 - Last Chance Harvey - Nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy.

2010 - Barney's Version - won the Genie Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role. He also won the Vancouver Film Critics Circle Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Canadian Film.

It's therefore quite apparent that Dustin Hoffman is still getting good movie roles.
    I didn't know Hoffman did a voice in Kung Fu Panda. Never heard of those other two movies.

Never heard of the Annie or Genie awards either...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

I didn't know Hoffman did a voice in Kung Fu Panda. Never heard of those other two movies.

Never heard of the Annie or Genie awards either...
    You've never heard of those two films? Exactly.

The defense rests.

As for Kung Fu Panda, the success of that movie had nothing to do with Hoffman's performance. It's an animated film. Maybe I should have been more clear, Hoffman has failed to get larger roles in bigger films since Fockers. Hell, he had like 5 lines in the Indie film Chef this past year.

I have no idea how Hoffman got nominated for a Globe for Last Chance Harvey, the film opened on like 5 screens. Probably because it's in the category of Musical/Comedy and there's usually not a whole lot else to nominate. Barney's Version is another film without a wide release. All I'm saying is that he hasn't been in a ton of major films since Fockers. Maybe it's unfair to blame that on Fockers. This tends to happen to older actors. I'm sure some would blame I Heart Huckabees, which also came out the year he released Fockers.

Also, you didn't just seriously use a win for an MTV Movie Award to prove a point did you?

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For any fence sitters out there wondering which film to vote for, please read the following newspaper review for TITE...

300 F-words, zero laughs: Foul-mouthed, crude and conceited, Seth Rogen's latest attempt at comedy is a new low...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-2350175/This-Is-The-End-review-Seth-Rogens-latest-attempt-comedy-new-low.html

There is also a whole bunch of reviews for TITE that were posted on the IMDB website, with titles such as:

"This Is The End - THE END didn't come quick enough for me"

"This movie was awful, self indulgent and funny maybe twice in two hours."

"This is the End of me ever attending a Seth Rogen creation."

"So so so so very disappointed."

"This is a Big Let Down"

"Had potential but failed miserably"

"Just bad"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245492/reviews

Some real stellar reviews there!!!

Meet The Fockers may have some minor flaws, but next to TITE it's an absolute masterpiece!!!

I think TITE should be renamed as SHITE!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If you want to throw numbers out there then look no further than Rotten Tomatoes. Meet the Fockers has a 38% fresh rating and End has 83%. You can cherry pick all the bad reviews you want, but facts are facts. More critics enjoyed End over Fockers. Actually, End is higher rated among audiences as well.

There are 97 rotten reviews for Fockers, so I don't want to dig through them all to find the worst ones. Also, I'm not sure it makes sense to reference user reviews on IMDB. Have you been on an IMDB message board in the last 10 years? In order to take those reviews seriously, I would have to take into account how much the reviewers know about the actors in the movie. I have a friend that hated End too, but he had never heard of most of the actors in the film. I feel that it's the kind of movie you have to be in on the inside joke. You have to know the actors and the movie business. My friend knows neither and so he hated it. I'm sure you're down on all that stuff and still hated it, so I know that's possible too.

It doesn't matter what I say, Fockers is going to win. It will quickly get destroyed in the next round. I haven't seen every film in the tournament, but of the ones I have seen, Fockers is the worst.

Country
    Country Flag

Gotta get three more votes at least for This Is the End

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not gonna happen, Pablo. All we have is Barbara Streisand giving a massage to Robert DeNiro because that's just hilarious.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

T-Dogz_AK47's post inspired me. I voted for This Is the End, just on general principle. MTV awards? Really?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought I was fighting too hard for This is the End and was going to cost it votes, which I probably already did, at least we got one back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast