Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please choose up to six

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clue (1985)

15 53.57%
  • The Sunshine Boys (1975)

2 7.14%
  • Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948 )

10 35.71%
  • I Love You, Man (2009)

4 14.29%
  • The Ref (1994)

7 25.00%
  • Election (1999)

4 14.29%
  • Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)

6 21.43%
  • The Trouble with Harry (1955)

7 25.00%
  • The Nutty Professor (1996)

5 17.86%
  • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

21 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group L

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just for that, more Gremlins 2 footage!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

This scene from Gremlins is funnier than the whole of Gremlins 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWJaHZBEw0
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Let's at least pull Election into a tie for sixth! I'm sure it can take out Gremlins 2 (ugh) in a tiebreaker:

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Gremlins 2 is awful. The original is leagues better.
    For the record, Election is 92% on RT.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

GLAD TO SEE A&C ARE GETTING SOME LOVE

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm shocked at how poorly some of the more recent comedies are doing in this tournament. I'm not sure if it's because they are newer and haven't paid their dues, or people just haven't seen them. Then again, maybe people just don't like them. I find it hard to believe that everybody dislikes most of the new comedies. I Love You, Man should have more than 2 votes. It's one of the better comedies of recent years.
    There are many recent movies which I haven't watched, but I have seen I Love You, Man and if it's true that it's one of the better comedies, then I'll probably continue to just take my time getting to all of the others.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I love the satirical aspect of I Love You, Man. Seeing the tropes and cliches of a romantic comedy: the meet cute, the awkwardness as they get to know each other, the changes it brings upon them, the new significant other meetings the friends, the fight that leads to the break up where they both discover truths about themselves and the romantic, over the top gesture brings them together at the end, yet it also contains all the tropes and cliches of a buddy comedy....and there is also Peter and Zoe going through some typical romantic comedy cliches...t's all there and it's so well done. The characters in the movie are all so well realized and well acted. There are some visual gags but for the most part the humour comes through the dialogue and the nuances.
    Lou
    Paul Rudd does awkward better than anyone, like this scene shows

It has a great ensemble cast: Paul Rudd, Jason Siegel, Rashida Jones, J.K. Simmons, Jane Curtain, Andy Samberg, Jaime Priessly, Jon Favreau, Lou Ferrigno...as far as I am concerned it's a modern comedy classic. I can only hope it attains cult status. Sometimes comedy is no ahead of its time (or behind its time) it takes awhile for it to catch on. In my personal life I don't know anyone who doesn't love I Love You, Man, or at the very least like it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really liked ILYM but Election is an undisputed classic. Just two more votes move it into sixth and into Round 2.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Please define "undisputed" sir.

And while we're at it, what is satire? I see what you're saying about the tropes and cliches of romantic comedy at play in I Love You, Man, Matt, but is the intent or effect to satirize movies of that genre? Or for some other purpose, might you say?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I need to watch I Love You Man. I hate not being able to partake in the discussion lol.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5248953.html
    In April 1999, when "Election" opened in limited release, moviegoers were only just getting to know Reese Witherspoon. "Man in the Moon," "Fear" and "Pleasantville" had provided glimpses of the actress, but it was in March of that year, when "Cruel Intentions" opened, that Witherspoon began to emerge as a household name. And then, along came Tracy Flick, the high-strung high schooler who would stop at nothing to be elected student body president. That character, and Witherspoon, became part of the pop culture lexicon -- despite originally hailing from a novel that almost didn't get published, a director whose first movie failed to gross $1 million at the box office and a marketing campaign that teetered somewhere between ineffective and disastrous.

In spite of all that, "Election" has prevailed as a defining film for millennials as well as major-studio projects that employ indie sensibilities (it was produced by MTV Films and distributed by Paramount). Perhaps it was thanks to Matthew Broderick, who received top billing as the well-liked teacher fed up with Tracy's manipulation and overzealousness. Maybe it was the modesty displayed by Chris Klein and Jessica Campbell, unknown actors cast to play the sibling duo that would challenge Tracy in the heated race. This is to say nothing of Witherspoon, whose manic performance etched itself among the greatest screen characters of the '90s, nor director Alexander Payne, who would soon become one of Hollywood's most respected auteurs. Whatever the concoction was, "Election" has become a modern cult classic.

Witherspoon earned a Golden Globe nomination, Payne and co-writer Jim Taylor grabbed an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay and the movie took home Best Film at the Independent Spirit Awards. It's proof that a film's longevity is not inherently tied to big budgets or massive box office receipts. Fifteen years later, and "Election" still ranks among the most memorable releases of the past two decades. HuffPost Entertainment caught up with many of the movie's major players for a look back at how it came together and why it remains a force in pop culture.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to mention one other aspect of I Love You, Man that I really appreciated that I don't see talked about much and that is the fact of your friends growing up and moving on with their lives. In I Love You, Man, all of Sydney's (Jason Segel) friends have moved on with their lives with families of their own and kind of left him behind. He's actually a really lonely guy.

Peter comes into his life at the perfect time.

John Hamburg knows how to write comedies. Meet the Parents is great, then again he also wrote the cinematic turd that is Meet the Fockers.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

And while we're at it, what is satire? I see what you're saying about the tropes and cliches of romantic comedy at play in I Love You, Man, Matt, but is the intent or effect to satirize movies of that genre? Or for some other purpose, might you say?
    I think it's satirising both the romantic comedy and the buddy movie by pushing them together. If the movie were just a buddy comedy and didn't have that level of picking apart a romantic comedy, it would still be funny but not as clever. While I Love You, Man isn't a straight up satire, it has a lot of satirical elements by both poking fun at all the tropes and cliches it's stacked one atop the other while equally embracing them which gives the movie a tremendous amount of heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant
    I wanted to mention one other aspect of I Love You, Man that I really appreciated that I don't see talked about much and that is the fact of your friends growing up and moving on with their lives. In I Love You, Man, all of Sydney's (Jason Segal) friends have moved on with their lives with families of their own and kind of left him behind. He's actually a really lonely guy.

Peter comes into his life at the perfect time.

John Hamburg knows how to write comedies. Meet the Parents is great, then again he also wrote the cinematic turd that is Meet the Fockers.
    That's an aspect about the movie I love is Jason Siegel's performance. He's a very realistic man child in the sense he rebelled against growing up as everyone in his life grew up. As Ebert's review began, "I would like to have a friend like Sydney Fife. I think a lot of guys would. Even though it's funny, charming and light-hearted, that may be the basic appeal of "I Love You, Man." Sydney represents the freedoms most men hesitate to give themselves, maybe through fear of ending up alone, arrested or locked inside behavior that looks fun when you're young but crazy when you're older. The great thing about Sydney is that he lives your fantasies so you don't have to yourself."

And he ends it with, "I Love You, Man" is, above all, just plain funny. It's funny with some dumb physical humor, yes, and some gross-out jokes apparently necessary to all buddy movies, but also funny in observations, dialogue, physical behavior and Sydney Fife's observations as a people-watcher. I heard a lot of real laughter from a preview audience, not the perfunctory laughter at manufactured payoffs. You feel good watching the movie. That's what comedies are for, right?"

And I agree with that last sentiment. I Love You, Man makes me feel good. It's one of the mandatory 'resetting' films I have to watch a couple times a year, because it always leaves me feeling levity by its end.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito
    I need to watch I Love You Man.
    Yes, you do

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gremlins is a horror film. Gremlins 2 is a comedy. As far as this tournament goes, neither film can be rated as being "better" than the other.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

...Ebert's review..."... You feel good watching the movie. That's what comedies are for, right?"
    This is why I didn't especially want to do a comedy tourney at all. It's too broad of a category, with too many definitions and potential simultaneous directions.
    I Love You, Man is a fair feel good movie.
    Election is a hard behavioral satire.
    Gremlins 2 is not a good film, but, actually, not such a bad comedy.

...an aspect about the movie I love is Jason Siegel's performance.
    That brings into focus for me the point about the better of recent comedy, as a matter of fact. Siegel is much more respectable than Seth Rogen. Franco should have tried to team with him instead after "Freaks and Geeks."

And I like Reese Witherspoon, too, generally speaking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5248953.html
    In April 1999, when "Election" opened in limited release, moviegoers were only just getting to know Reese Witherspoon. "Man in the Moon," "Fear" and "Pleasantville" had provided glimpses of the actress, but it was in March of that year, when "Cruel Intentions" opened, that Witherspoon began to emerge as a household name. And then, along came Tracy Flick, the high-strung high schooler who would stop at nothing to be elected student body president. That character, and Witherspoon, became part of the pop culture lexicon -- despite originally hailing from a novel that almost didn't get published, a director whose first movie failed to gross $1 million at the box office and a marketing campaign that teetered somewhere between ineffective and disastrous.

In spite of all that, "Election" has prevailed as a defining film for millennials as well as major-studio projects that employ indie sensibilities (it was produced by MTV Films and distributed by Paramount). Perhaps it was thanks to Matthew Broderick, who received top billing as the well-liked teacher fed up with Tracy's manipulation and overzealousness. Maybe it was the modesty displayed by Chris Klein and Jessica Campbell, unknown actors cast to play the sibling duo that would challenge Tracy in the heated race. This is to say nothing of Witherspoon, whose manic performance etched itself among the greatest screen characters of the '90s, nor director Alexander Payne, who would soon become one of Hollywood's most respected auteurs. Whatever the concoction was, "Election" has become a modern cult classic.

Witherspoon earned a Golden Globe nomination, Payne and co-writer Jim Taylor grabbed an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay and the movie took home Best Film at the Independent Spirit Awards. It's proof that a film's longevity is not inherently tied to big budgets or massive box office receipts. Fifteen years later, and "Election" still ranks among the most memorable releases of the past two decades. HuffPost Entertainment caught up with many of the movie's major players for a look back at how it came together and why it remains a force in pop culture.
    Ok, nice review, but none of that proves that everyone agrees, much less that everyone else has to like watching the movie. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/bandwagon

My point of view is, here are two 3-star films that never really clicked with me, a wicked puppet show hilarious to preteens, and a 4-star genuine classic (The Sunshine Boys) that's sadly unrecognized. That was the show that restored George Burns from obscurity for his whole latter career. It's so funny! *sigh*

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Gremlins is a horror film. Gremlins 2 is a comedy. As far as this tournament goes, neither film can be rated as being "better" than the other.
    They're both comedies, one just treads the line of comedy/horror more than the other one.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

...Ebert's review..."... You feel good watching the movie. That's what comedies are for, right?"
    This is why I didn't especially want to do a comedy tourney at all. It's too broad of a category, with too many definitions and potential simultaneous directions.
    I Love You, Man is a fair feel good movie.
    Election is a hard behavioral satire.
    Gremlins 2 is not a good film, but, actually, not such a bad comedy.
    I think we should be judging comedies based not just on how much they make us laugh, but also how good the rest of it is. Some comedies may not be as funny as other, but have better performances and a story. The key, I think, is to vote for that middle ground. What is funny about the film? Is it the sight gags and the parody? The character relationships? The satire? The dialogue? The story? I think the best comedies excel in most of these kind questions.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm really surprised we can't get at least one more vote for either I Love You, Man or Election to tie with Gremlins 2 for a tiebreaker. Or to pass it entirely.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just realised I haven't voted in this poll yet...

Voted for Clue, Gremlins 2: The New Batch and The Nutty Professor!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Need at least two more votes for Election

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

]Gremlins 2: The New Batch[/I] and The Nutty Professor!!!
    So...you think this is the end isn't funny due to some ejaculation jokes but you vote for Nutty Professor which is a barrage of fat and fart jokes. That, that makes a lot of sense lol.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, you guys convinced me there's enough respective merit to I Love You, Man and Election that I'd like to add a vote for each of them. I only used four of mine earlier. That's still legal, isn't it?

Country
    Country Flag

Certainly. Will keep in mind. But they need more if they're to move on

Country
    Country Flag

]Gremlins 2: The New Batch[/I] and The Nutty Professor!!!
    So...you think this is the end isn't funny due to some ejaculation jokes but you vote for Nutty Professor which is a barrage of fat and fart jokes. That, that makes a lot of sense lol.
    Comedy is all about the delivery and comic timing.

Eddie Murphy has the skill to actually make people laugh. Seth Rogan and Danny McBride are just a pair of twats.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, you guys convinced me there's enough respective merit to I Love You, Man and Election that I'd like to add a vote for each of them. I only used four of mine earlier. That's still legal, isn't it?
    What a surprise, you're trying to fuck about with the voting process again! Like WTF dude!!! Seriously???

You have cast your votes and you should stick to them. It's not fair to everyone else if you get to add films to those you have already selected. You chose to only vote for four films, knowing that you could actually vote for six if you wished. You chose to cast four and you should stick to those four.

If you do this, it will cause chaos to the whole voting system with people saying that they want to add films to their selection or complaining that a film has already been eliminated and they didn't know that they could add films at a later date etc...

Just leave the voting as it is! If you are unsure about how many votes to cast then don't jump in with voting straight away. It's as simple as that.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

What a surprise, you're trying to fuck about with the voting process again! Like WTF dude!!! Seriously???

You have cast your votes and you should stick to them. It's not fair to everyone else if you get to add films to those you have already selected. You chose to only vote for four films, knowing that you could actually vote for six if you wished. You chose to cast four and you should stick to those four.

If you do this, it will cause chaos to the whole voting system with people saying that they want to add films to their selection or complaining that a film has already been eliminated and they didn't know that they could add films at a later date etc...

Just leave the voting as it is! If you are unsure about how many votes to cast then don't jump in with voting straight away. It's as simple as that.
    The rules should be clear and consistent, that much is true. It's fair if everyone can do the same. People should be allowed to choose what they want. Being able to change your mind is a good thing. You have to learn to be mature.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast