• The Producers (1967)

7 26.92%
  • Love Actually (2003)

2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group H

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Vote for Biloxi Blues!!!

Christopher Walken was absolutely fantastic in that film!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    So I guess you didn't like The Producers?
    It was okay. I watched it this weekend just for this tournament. I just found it more "mildly amusing" than laugh-out-loud funny. I think Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are inspired comedy genius, and Spaceballs hits almost as high. Even some of the "lesser" Brooks movies tickle me, so it's not a Brooks thing. The Producers just didn't have enough oomph to prompt a vote. Peter Sellers considered it one of the funniest films he had ever seen, and Sellers knows comedy. Maybe you had to be there.
    Maybe not Blazing Saddles/Young Frankenstein writing throughout, (although "Springtime for Hitler" is certainly inspired) but strong on concept and constantly engaging-- the extra oomph for me is in the acting, especially Zero Mostel.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Or even The Graduate??
    I like The Graduate. It's a great film. But somehow I don't see it as a "comedy." More of a coming of age social commentary. Sort of the same approach to Ed Wood. It was clever and fun but my recollection was being "amused" not really "oh, man, what a great comedy!"
    Pretty much every film source would disagree. It's a dark comedy or a dramedy or something but it's definitely a comedy. And it's funny. IMDB, RT, and Wikipedia, all list it as a comedy. And see the film's award nominations and later recognition here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graduate#Reception For the Golden Globes it was nominated in the "Motion Picture Musical or Comedy" categories and comes in at number 9 on the AFI's 100 Years...100 Laughs list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27...s...100_Laughs

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Or even The Graduate??
    I like The Graduate. It's a great film. But somehow I don't see it as a "comedy." More of a coming of age social commentary. Sort of the same approach to Ed Wood. It was clever and fun but my recollection was being "amused" not really "oh, man, what a great comedy!"
    Same here, I never even knew The Graduate was considered a comedy.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Even if we do choose to count it as part comedy doesn't mean we have to vote it best comedy for that part.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is one of the funniest scenes ever in any movie: http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2...lip-Hotel.html

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Good film but I don't see the humor in that clip. I suppose we have different funny bones.

This is one of the funniest scenes ever in any movie: http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2...lip-Hotel.html

Country
    Country Flag

I've noticed I often find funny things in things others don't find funny. But that whole hotel sequence is just hilarious to me.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following five titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Friday (1995) 42.31%
    2. Ed Wood (1994) 26.92%
    3. The Producers (1967) 26.92%
    4. The Graduate (1967) 23.08%
    5. Harold and Maude (1971) 19.23%

The following three titles will face off in a tiebreaker for the last spot:
    1. Biloxi Blues (1988) 15.38%
    2. Sullivan's Travels (1941) 15.38%
    3. The Court Jester (1955) 15.38%

And the following two titles have been eliminated:
    1. Love Actually (2003) 7.69%
    2. Swimming with Sharks (1994) 7.69%

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Based on the votes here I decided to see Friday. What a complete piece of shit.

Country
    Country Flag

You could've just watched the trailer in the first post.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Re: Friday

I have a Chris Tucker rule. If Chris Tucker is in the movie, it will be too painful to watch. For example, as much as I love Jackie Chan and at one point my life's goal was to watch all of Chan's movies, I've never been able to bring myself around to watching Rush Hour.

The only exception is Jackie Brown. And that's because Tucker gets shot full of holes in the trunk of a car. Oh, if that could only happen in every movie he is in. Preferably before the opening credits finish rolling.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Rush Hour 1 & 2 are great buddy cop comedies. Chan and Tucker have very strong chemistry. I can see why he would rub people the wrong way though.

The Fifth Element is also a favorite of mine. Tucker is over-the-top, but it works for the character.

This one is kind of unfair, but Tucker was in Silver Linings Playbook and that movie is fantastic.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Rush Hour 1 & 2 are great buddy cop comedies. Chan and Tucker have very strong chemistry. I can see why he would rub people the wrong way though.

The Fifth Element is also a favorite of mine. Tucker is over-the-top, but it works for the character.

This one is kind of unfair, but Tucker was in Silver Linings Playbook and that movie is fantastic.
    I liked The Fifth Element, until Tucker showed up. All of a sudden it was like JarJar Binks entering Star Wars. Took me right out of the movie and I'll never watch it again. And that's coming from a huge Bruce Willis fan and someone who generally appreciates Luc Besson. At least as a direction. Can't say much for his casting decisions LOL.

And I guess it is a testament to just how good Silver Linings Playbook is (a movie I loved), that I don't remember Tucker being in it. I must of blocked him out of my memory. Selective amnesia has its benefits.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Rush Hour films are awesome for the very same reason you'd suspect - the clash of two diametrically opposed cultures. You have the loud mouth, trash talking LAPD Detective Carter; and the reserved, honorable, ruthlessly efficient Detective inspector.

I can't say I'm a BIG Chris Tucker fan, not in the sense that I'll rush out to see a film he's starring in, but his abrasiveness is such a perfect foil for Chan's stoic determination. Add in the tongue in cheek play off of stereotypes, and the Rush Hour films deliver laughs per minute. I love that franchise.

I'm sad to see it not advancing but I can understand why it wouldn't.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, this is one of the fucking funniest things I've ever seen. I saw RH3 in theaters and I LOST.MY.SHIT @0:52

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Based on the votes here I decided to see Friday. What a complete piece of shit.
    I guess everyone has different tastes but "piece of shit?" (That was the sequels.) Oh well. It moved on while some "classics" got knocked the fuck out.

As for Chris Tucker, in some movies he annoys the hell out of me and in others he is great. I guess it is just the context of the movie that makes the difference.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Feev, you posted a video of the new Hitman film not Rush Hour 3. I do love the line at 52 seconds though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3