• Borat (2006)

13 41.94%
  • Scary Movie (2000)

11 35.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group B

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The weakest group of films so far, with no heavyweight comedies included. I really don't know what to vote for here...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bringing Up Baby is one of the best films ever made, not just comedy.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.threemoviebuffs.com/revie...d-the-pussycat

This is a comedy classic that too often gets overlooked. It is also a great time capsule, perfectly capturing the look and spirit of the late 60's and early 70's. While it's not Barbra's best comedy, that would be What's Up, Doc?, it is her best comedic performance.

I doubt many here have seen this little gem.
    I love it.

sk

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Bringing Up Baby is one of the best films ever made, not just comedy.

Directed by the great Howard Hawks who's credits are incredibly diverse, he also directed the original Scarface
    I really wish Katherine Hepburn had done more wacky screwball roles like this, she did do a lot more comedic work but never anything this silly again

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just need to get a couple more votes. Heather promised to watch it finally and hopefully that's one. Come on, people!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I've seen a few of the 1930s - 1940s screwball comedies, and none really do it for me. Just not my genre.
    That's fine, but for Last Action Hero to advance toward our comedy title instead is just mind boggling.
    I've always considered LAH more of a comedy than an action film, despite the title.

Even the action in the film is used as a platform allowing the satirical comedy to shine.

"Wait a minute... the bad puns, the hard rock... I'm in a movie!"

"I'm a good guy, I'm the sidekick, this has got to work! ... Oh shit, I'm the comic relief! This is not gonna wooooooooork!!"

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

More camp than satire. It's a companion piece to Arnold's other films, which usually contain a little comedy and lots of action, made the other way around. It is a comedy, but a comedy about action films. I just think it's weird because the only comedy tournament you'd expect it to win best comedy in would have to be voted by some group like actionmovieforums.com

Bringing Up Baby as best of all time is not unusual at all. It's just funny.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sorry guys. I watched Bringing Up Baby but was pretty bored by it

Country
    Country Flag

You have to be kidding

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If not Bringing Up Baby, I hope maybe After Hours can knock Last Action Hero out of sixth place yet. That's a great one as well.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If not Bringing Up Baby, I hope maybe After Hours can knock Last Action Hero out of sixth place yet. That's a great one as well.
    I always found After Hours more disturbing than funny. It's a great film, but I wouldn't say that it's a great comedy.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

You have to be kidding
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The whole storyline was just preposterous. I guess that was the point but I couldn't get over the fact that this guy was going to marry someone the very next day and he's out gallivanting around with some other women for the whole time.

Country
    Country Flag

The plot is really beside the point in a screwball comedy.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Office Space is the only homerun for me in this group, but I also voted for Stripes, Knocked Up and Borat.

Borat is the iffy-est one for me. I hated a large portion of the movie, but blew coke out of my nose a couple of time. Some lines were outright hilarious, while the movie in general is not one of my favorites. Overall, I had to go ahead and vote for it for the lines that got to me.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post

Borat is the iffy-est one for me. I hated a large portion of the movie, but blew coke out of my nose a couple of time. Some lines were outright hilarious, while the movie in general is not one of my favorites. Overall, I had to go ahead and vote for it for the lines that got to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Borat is a strange case. Parts of the movie actively pissed me off. Some of his scenarios were mean-spritied and unfair to the butt of the jokes. However, there are parts of Borat that had me laughing so hard I could not breathe. Gut busting, tears running down my face, laughter. Very few films have done that for me. So, even given my stated reservations, it certainly gets my vote.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm still in disbelief that Last Action Hero and Scary Movie will be moving on in place of After Hours and Bringing Up Baby. Does not compute...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Simple. They're funnier.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Office Space (1999) 70.97%
    2. Stripes (1981) 58.06%
    3. Borat (2006) 41.94%
    4. Knocked Up (2007) 35.48%
    5. Scary Movie (2000) 35.48%
    6. Last Action Hero (1993) 25.81%

And the following four titles have been eliminated:
    1. After Hours (1985) 19.35%
    2. Bringing Up Baby (1938) 16.13%
    3. Another Year (2010) 9.68%
    4. The Owl and the Pussycat (1970) 3.23%

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Last Action Hero (1993) 25.81%

Country
    Country Flag

It's a sad day indeed.

ye gods!

Country
    Country Flag

In my wildest nightmares I couldn't imagine Bringing Up Baby being eliminated in the first round. I was certain it would make it at least to the Finals.

In my wildest nightmares I couldn't imagine Bringing Up Baby being eliminated in the first round. I was certain it would make it at least to the Finals.
    same here

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, Pablo. I told you this might happen though. I remember watching Bringing Up Baby when I was a kid (it's my Mom's favorite movie), but a lot of people just haven't seen it.

The good news is that a lot of people are about to discover a classic. By the way, my Mom was equally horrified it got bounced first round when I told her.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast