Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Did you feel any sorry for Blaine?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I did a lot.

9 6.87%
  • Yes, I did a little.

47 35.88%
  • No, not at all.

75 57.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Blaine - and your feelings about it

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

At times Blaine bored me to tears...

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Making holographic entertainment for himself.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger1987 View Post
    When and how? His part wasn't so long.

Roland would have understood.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

That's an interesting outlook I never had myself. I found him quite entertaining.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Blain was very interesting to me, as well. Insane robots... they can always catch my attantion because they seem very dangerous.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I can't think of a boring scene with ol' Blaine either. Hmmm...no I really can't.

Traveler Fathers Face is on a distinguished road Fathers Face's Avatar

Blaine was a great Character A Super Computer loosing its mind due to the loneliness of the world and its people it once served having moved on also i believe Blaine said that parts of his system were malfunctioning
    " REPEATED DIAGNOSTIC CHECKS HAVE FAILED TO REVEAL THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM. I CAN ONLY CONCLUDE THAT THIS IS A SPIRITUAL MALAISE BEYOND MY ABILITY TO REPAIR"
    "SUCH MALFUNCTIONS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IMPOSSIBLE WITH SLOTRANS TECHNOLOGY, BUT OF COURSE THE WORLD HAS MOVED ON...HAS IT NOT, ROLAND OF GILEAD?"
    I also like that we see Blaine as mostly the pink mono train but were as his network stretches all the way to END WORLD and who knows were else.
    "YOU DON'T WANT TO GET THE IDEA THAT IM NOTHING BUT A TRAIN"

"It's not your bullets I fear, Roland. It's your idea of answers that scares me.

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Blaine gets his moment(s) of grace. Roland is able to reason with him. There's that. There's some things in the next book that provide, as well. I wonder if he's a mechanic of the brain, riddling, he "emancipated" Patricia, his only friend, by allowing her to die. Seems like the people of Lud were looking for death, lining up at the stamping press. I don't think there's a form at the hospital that says, KEEP ME ALIVE!...but there are forms for pulling the plug. There's that bit about Guyana, as well, Jim Jones. Like he said, he only provided what his servants wanted, made it easier for them,

John F. Kennedy Anastasia is on a distinguished road Anastasia's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I admit that the whole idea of Baine was interesting and the scenes ivolving him were entertaining at some point. But I didnt like him at all. All that robots with rudiments of intellect are just so not interesting...

Traveler mikatile is on a distinguished road mikatile's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think Blaine is representative of humanity's increasing dependence on technology, and where it could lead, he reminds me a little of hal 9000 from 2001.

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought that Blaine was a pretty cool character. A clever invention of King, I have to say. I didn't find him boring whatsoever, quite the contrary. I enjoyed his part in the book rather a lot.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaRiley View Post
    I thought that Blaine was a pretty cool character. A clever invention of King, I have to say. I didn't find him boring whatsoever, quite the contrary. I enjoyed his part in the book rather a lot.
    Right. I always loved trains but after I met Blaine... they became even more fascinating.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlishaRiley View Post
    Right. I always loved trains but after I met Blaine... they became even more fascinating.
    I think Blaine is one of Sai King's greatest achievements, and my favorite minor villain by far.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Here's what I got: Blaine is the extention of every King bully from Ace of "The Body" right on out. How he came to the hideous solutions to amuse himself until the arrival of Roland's ka-tet baffles me. I will never understand this cold brand of malice. Thus when Eddie blew terrific holes in the digital map, it was very cathartic for me.
    As for his true passing, it is not too clear to me if the computer in Lud was still functioning after the mono's departure. But then again this might be a metaphorical opportunity. Consider the mono as corporeal existance and the computer under the city as ethereal consciousness. If you dig the vibe I'm sending...help me clarify.

Traveler Chain BladeO9 is on a distinguished road Chain BladeO9's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

While I felt no sympathy for Blaine, he is still one of my favorite characters. I think I love him so much due to the combination of his riddles and his cruelnature..

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

The dude loved riddles...what's not to love about him????
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The dude loved riddles...what's not to love about him????
    *laughs*
    everything else

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Blaine the Mono

Maybe odd that I find this character amusing, but I do. I have just finished The Waste lands and I can now say thank God I did not read the series as it was published. My patience is nill and the way that one ended would have killed me to have to wait for the next. I am sure as I read on, I will learn more about the machines and how they fit, but so far Blaine has been my favorite non-ka-tet character. I know that tick tock man or others should stand out more, but so far this is where I am at. The kids have kept us very busy lately so I have had to resort to doing some of Waste Lands on audio. That could be an influence I guess. As for the group, I love em all, but I was very interested in Detta as I was married to a black woman and being around her family I heard many stories about the civil rights times. (12 years of being together you tend to learn alot)

I stick to my side of being glad I waited. When I see some of you talking about upccoming stories I can only imagine myself waiting to see how the train ride ended. A valium or two may hve been required for a day till it was released.

John F. Kennedy Crow is on a distinguished road Crow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I certainly felt bad for little Blaine. Saw him as a sort of alternate personality, a little brother if you will, to Big Blaine. Trapped in with and terrified of the dominant version.

And yeah, Blaine was not boring in the least. Completely lacking in compassion and totally insane, definitely. But not boring.

Country
    Country Flag

For me little Blaine and Blaine were always the same. I felt little Blaine was another way for Blaine to play with the ka-tet,

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    For me little Blaine and Blaine were always the same. I felt little Blaine was another way for Blaine to play with the ka-tet,
    Really? I never interpreted him that way. I thought Little Blaine was like the moral part of Blaine's personality, something that had become compartmenatlised, segregated from the main personality as he went insane.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I though of Little Blaine as separate as much as I thought Odetta and Detta were separate and for much the same reasons.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

I can understand where you are coming from. Maybe I am the minority with my thoughts about little Blaine.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I also saw little Blaine as a part that had segmented itself from the crazy Big Blaine part, like the tiny sane part of a brain that may metaphorically brick itself into a safe niche from the insanity raging through the rest of the brain.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Míchéal View Post
    this.

+ Reply to Thread