Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Did you feel any sorry for Blaine?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I did a lot.

9 6.87%
  • Yes, I did a little.

47 35.88%
  • No, not at all.

75 57.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaine - and your feelings about it

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't believe I laughed at that, it was like one of my dad's jokes

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

My humor can be an aquired taste. I'm usually the only one rolling. I'm glad you liked it.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I voted I felt sorry for him a little bit. I'm very empathetic...

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

he was a bastard that fucked up his only friend and let her kill herself. theres no reason for me to feel sorry for him, he seemed content activating the ZZ top every once in a while and seemed even more content sitting where he was and watching what happened when he played the drums.

Blaine was probaly one of the greater characters King has created.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I feel sorry for him because he was a victim of mental disease... It's wasted emotion to hate someone who isn't sane...

And yes, he was one of the greatest characters ever!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Victim? How can a coke can be a victim?

Roland would have understood.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

But Letti, a coke can is not a good analogy because a coke can doesn't have artificial intelligence (AI), and understanding AI is the key to understanding Blaine (also Andy, Nigel, and Bill). AI elevates it from machine to something else. And where do we draw the line with intelligent machines? All of the mechanical beings in TDT certainly have self-awareness and, apparently, feelings. How much intelligence is enough to call it "living"?

Have you ever read any of the stories in Asimov's I, Robot? If not, I strongly urge it. I think it will help to understand quite a bit about the mechanical beings in TDT.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    But Letti, a coke can is not a good analogy because a coke can doesn't have artificial intelligence (AI), and understanding AI is the key to understanding Blaine (also Andy, Nigel, and Bill). AI elevates it from machine to something else. And where do we draw the line with intelligent machines? All of the mechanical beings in TDT certainly have self-awareness and, apparently, feelings. How much intelligence is enough to call it "living"?

Have you ever read any of the stories in Asimov's I, Robot? If not, I strongly urge it. I think it will help to understand quite a bit about the mechanical beings in TDT.
    don't asimov's robots, as a rule, never turn on their makers? i agree that blaine is more complex than a coke can, he's more like a coke machine.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Correct, but that's because of the Three Laws of Robotics. Just read TDT mechanical beings as like the robots in Asimov's work but without the failsafe.

ETA: Also, sometimes the robots in Asimov's stories could defy their masters by taking an order too literally. For example, there is one story where a robot is irritating a human worker and the worker tells him to get lost. The robot then hides in a shipment of identical robots, literally "getting lost" per his master's order.
    Last edited by Woofer; 02-26-2008 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Example.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Worried

Blaine kind of reminds me of Terminator. bash him in the head too many times and he'll revert between his new progamming and his old programming...

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I would think that if I was building a robot, that rule would be first on the list.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Worried

Absolutely!

Bad guy
    *bash*
    good guy
    *bash*
    Bad guy
    *bash*
    good guy
    *bash*
    Wait! how many times did I bash his head? Oh he's still trying to kill me.. I'll bash him over the head again!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked Blaine. I thought he was a great character.

I voted the middle one, (as in partly sorry). That is mainly the influence of 'little Blaine' who seemed to be Blaine's lost morality encapsulated in another personality.

As for whether or not Blaine is to,er, blame...!?!... that's difficult since he is insane. The fact that he became insane isn't his fault, but he could still choose whether or not to act, and for that he is to blame.

(By the way, if these trains consciousness are mainly in the computer systems of Ludd, would the destruction of the train reallly kill them?)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've often considered that last bit. The poison gas sure wouldn't have killed the main computer at Lud and if the train is just an extension of that...I would say no.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I've often considered that last bit. The poison gas sure wouldn't have killed the main computer at Lud and if the train is just an extension of that...I would say no.
    Agreed. Plus, remember, the computer Blaine was probably protected from any corrosive effects of the gas by the same super technology that built it.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Agreed. Plus, remember, the computer Blaine was probably protected from any corrosive effects of the gas by the same super technology that built it.
    yes, blaine the mono died, not blaine the computer brain controlling the mono

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, you don't think it was Blaine the computer brain that Eddie killed with his stupid humor?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Its an interesting question because Blaine's logic centers were under lud and if what Eddie did to them fried him back to his origin--that could have been the end.

So now I'm on the fence again.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

No, I think Blaine died from it. But I do think the aparatus wouldn't be effected by the lethal gas, thats all.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

No, I think Blaine died from it. But I do think the aparatus wouldn't be effected by the lethal gas, thats all.
    This is how I felt about it. The gas and the destruction of Lud did nothing to Blaine the Computer. Eddie killed the Computer with his silly questions which in turn caused the computer system to fry and the Mono to crash.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    This is how I felt about it. The gas and the destruction of Lud did nothing to Blaine the Computer. Eddie killed the Computer with his silly questions which in turn caused the computer system to fry and the Mono to crash.
    Word Up, homeslice.

Country
    Country Flag

For shizzle.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Seems like two different things to me though. If "blaine the computer at Lud" didn't die, only his train extension...that is one thing.

What was brought up is weather or not the logic problem fried him all the way back to the source, in that case the computer brain would be dead as well no?

Or perhaps it only fried the circuits that run Blaine, in that case I would consider him fully dead.

Country
    Country Flag

Blaine completely died. Eddie completely killed the computer in Lud, which made the mono crash. The mono wasn't really Blaine at all...only a train that he was sending to Topeka. That is how I see it.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Well there you go.

My first reaction was that it only killed the train, and not what was up the digital line. But it was so severe, it makes sense that it would have got the whole thing.

Although, its a fun idea that Blaine still lives in the forum of a dim light somewhere on a computer bank under Lud.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast