Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Did you feel any sorry for Blaine?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I did a lot.

9 6.87%
  • Yes, I did a little.

47 35.88%
  • No, not at all.

75 57.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Blaine - and your feelings about it

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Does any one else feel that Blaine is misrepresented by all the reprint covers of the book? The first time I ever saw Wastelands was the viking edition so in my mind I have this classic old coal engine with Rose eyes and a skull face in my mind every time I hear his name and then you learn he is a pink mono... it was a little of a let down for me with everywhere you look you always see a train. Not sure if this is due to the publishers laziness to create a cover that represents the story or if they were trying to give you a different mental image. My thoughts are just because it is a train doesn't mean just put a train.
    I never liked that image, it just doesnt fit the description of Blaine in the book - he's an ultra modern slick mono, not a steam billowing locomotive.

My favourite is this by Darek Kocurek - love this piece of art.

I have never seen this one before! I Love it. That should have been on the cover of the slipcase for Knowing Darkness rather than the Viking Locomotive..

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Blane was driven insane by loneliness. But the loopy bastard had to go!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Along the Path of the Beam SpyGuy will become famous soon enough SpyGuy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, speaking of Blaine the pain (and that is the truth!), I found this interesting tidbit over on Reddit. Want to fry your circuits a little? Try this theory: Blaine is the BLUE monorail.

(Original post from Reddit starts here)
    -----------------------
    r/FanTheories
    (The Dark Tower) Blaine was the blue train monorail.
    u/JamesRennerSep 13, 2013, 6:43 AM
    Remember the looooong wait between Dark Tower 3, The Waste Lands and Dark Tower 4, Wizard and Glass? Well I was a teenager at the time and while I waited I reread book 3 about a bazillion times and what I discovered was that the whole book is about riddles. The riddles they tell on the mono at the end, yes, but also all the conversations of riddles leading up to that moment: ie, Samson and the bees.

I think Stephen King intentionally hid a big riddle in the book which was never revealed. I think Blaine was the blue mono we see crashed into the River Send.

Roland and his friends enter the pink mono (by breaking the riddle of the train's door code) and Blaine's voice welcomes them. The voice is loud and booming, a man's voice. They see another monorail in the river below, a blue one and Blaine explains that it is Patricia and that she was a computer program, like him, who became depressed and jumped off her rail. Then, of course, Blaine begins driving through the Waste Lands as Roland and crew tell riddles in order to get off.

Along the way, another voice comes through the train's speakers to try to warn them about Blaine and help them escape. This one is described as timid and possible the voice of a young boy. I believe this voice is actually Patricia, herself. Think of all the voice talents on cartoons that do boy's voices. They are mostly women, right? Because if we only hear the voice a woman's voice can sound exactly like a boy's.

Then, Patricia would actually be the pink monorail and Blaine would be blue, as in the colors of their gender.

I think that scumbag Blaine was on a track that was failing and as he plummeted to the river bottom, he uploaded his personality into the pink monorail and basically took her over, pushing Patricia down to some sub-level inside herself.i

That is the true riddle of Blaine the mono.

-------------
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, seems like the REAL truth about Blaine.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the theory is hogwash. The theory doesn't even say what the riddle is. It just presents an incoherent babble.

Traveler TowerofRoses will become famous soon enough TowerofRoses will become famous soon enough TowerofRoses's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Blaine and now that i have read through the series again, i fell in love with that batshit crazy bastard of a Mono again. From his personality to his more than silly end, Blaine was one of the better characters King created. And yes, i felt sorry for him in the end

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved that book so much that I had some art commissioned and a case designed for my Dameron-remarqued copy some years back:

WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wow, this is absolutely fantastic!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

wow, this is absolutely fantastic!
    Thank you jean, I love it too. Needed a good home for that Dameron #XX Blaine remarque showing where Blaine makes the floor disappear and they see all the mutant creatures down in the canyon below.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6