Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Drunken Fireworks -- new short story (audio)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ke7285 View Post

This is what I submitted for contest, northern lights was active couple nights ago.
    Hope to be able to see some this summer in Iceland !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Citizen of Gilead Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to Amazon.de!

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Listened to it last night. Fun little story. Wasn't crazy about the narrator.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Still, as I found out last night; best to eat fireworks before they are lit than after!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    Less than a minute in, and frankly I find his voice annoying for trying to understand the story and what is happening... If someone, somehow found a transcript online...
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Life imitates art? Drunken Fireworks courtesy of the Bangor Daily News...

Calais man killed after igniting firework on his head

By Nick Sambides Jr., BDN Staff

CALAIS, Maine — A local man was killed instantly Saturday when he set off a fireworks mortar tube on his head, despite efforts his friends made to stop him, state police said Sunday.

Devon Staples, 22, of Calais was in a friend’s backyard on South Street with a group of others when the incident occurred at approximately 10 p.m. The explosion caused a fatal head injury, and Staples died instantly, said Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Staples had been drinking with his friends when the incident occurred, McCausland said.

“When he suggested he was going to do this, his friends gathered around him and they thought they had convinced him not to do it,” McCausland said Sunday.

But before they could react, Staples set off the explosive. McCausland described the firework as being within a reloadable mortar tube available in consumer fireworks stores around the state.

The fatality was the first reported since fireworks became legal in Maine in March 2012. Fireworks sales in the state through May 2015 totaled $20.3 million, officials have said.

The incident was among several Fourth of July fireworks mishaps reported. Other incidents occurred in Friendship, Jefferson, Lebanon and Woodstock and involved burns and eye injuries, McCausland said.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Less than a minute in, and frankly I find his voice annoying for trying to understand the story and what is happening... If someone, somehow found a transcript online...
    The "transcript" will be in Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

It gets better as it goes on. The 'accent' was way over the top though. Way over the top.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Yikes! I'll wait for The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

That's how that guy talks in real life?

Country
    Country Flag

The "transcript" will be in Bazaar of Bad Dreams.
    Nope, that will be the official text

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I listened to the free stream but yeah the reading wasn't the best. It does give the story color. But I hate audiobooks anyway, my mind always trails off, so I'll be reading the story as intended, in hardcover.

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate actual reading. Audio books have spoiled me on written words.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

I picked up my signed copy today (signed by Tim Sample, that is).
    I can understand what people are saying about his accent, and there are parts of Maine where the locals do still sound alot like that, but its more of a case of "thats what the rest of the world THINKS we sound like.". I can sound wicked Down East if i want to, but it isn't my normal accent.

Not every Californian sounds like Jeff Spicoli, but when you hear the character talk, you think California Surfer Dude.

Tim Sample has a very normal speaking voice, with a "normal" Maine accent, but he puts on the one you hear on the CD for his comedy routines. I don't know if there are audio files out there but Tims mentor, a storyteller named Marshall Dodge was just the same.

It does take a wee bit of getting used to, but really no more than any other sterotyped accent. Hell, i had been stationed in Texas for over a year before I had a clue what half the people were saying!
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

i actually liked the old timer Maine accent that Tim Sample read in. Matches the setting well i thought.
    JMO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3