Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Slipcases & Traycases

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I like it!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

aaaand the last one is done.

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice Simon! They look delicious!! Amazing work.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

so folks, last chance to make suggestions, changes, etc. Everybody happy with size, alignment, placement? Don't worry about colours, these can be your own choice (limited to what Jeff can provide of course).

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Feel free to trash these comments. Just some minor observations.
    1. Looking at the picture of them all side by side, it looks like all of the horizontal lines are the same width. Do you think on the thicker books, they should be made longer so they extend more of the way across the spine? I can't really visualize how that would look.
    2. On 'Salem's, The Shining and The Stand, the book titles extend beyond "Stephen King" above each one. Take a look at Carrie. See how "Carrie" fits within "Stephen King" above it? I realize on the thicker books that's probably why you did it this way, but for consistency, do you think for the three that extend wider, the titles should be made smaller? Or maybe if you implement #1 above, this will be a moot point.

That's it. They look great.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Feel free to trash these comments. Just some minor observations.
    1. Looking at the picture of them all side by side, it looks like all of the horizontal lines are the same width. Do you think on the thicker books, they should be made longer so they extend more of the way across the spine? I can't really visualize how that would look.
    2. On 'Salem's, The Shining and The Stand, the book titles extend beyond "Stephen King" above each one. Take a look at Carrie. See how "Carrie" fits within "Stephen King" above it? I realize on the thicker books that's probably why you did it this way, but for consistency, do you think for the three that extend wider, the titles should be made smaller? Or maybe if you implement #1 above, this will be a moot point.

That's it. They look great.
    Valid points and I had thought about extending the lines. In the end I went with consistency. Obviously Carrie is the thinnest and is the limitation of width. I've tried to keep the book titles approximately the same font size (salems is hard 'cos the two words are completely different size, so i have used the average of the two.

I think if you extend the lines it looks odd as you cannot increase the font size of "Stephen King", "Double Day" and "First Edition" without everything looking mismatched.

This is what it looks like with the book name all the same width:

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's see what some other opinions are, but here's what I think. I feel that the smaller titles look better for all of them except The Stand. I mean, I do feel it works with the smaller title, but maybe on that one book we make an exception and extend the lines, but keep "Stephen King", "First Edition" and "Doubleday" the same. Don't extend the line under "First Edition", just the top and bottom. Here's the basic idea.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Not everybody that will order these will own 1st editions.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's what they all look like extended (and with bigger book name)

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    I think I would disagree with that Bruce. Would you spend money on slip-casing a non - 1st edition?

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay.. I prefer the smaller titles. Basically this version. But possibly with The Stand exception. Just my opinion, let's see what you and the others think.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, the more I look at this last version you made, the more I like it... ugh... anyway, let's see what other feedback we receive... I think that top line on The Shining may have been throwing me off as it's a different weight than the others.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, the more I look at this last version you made, the more I like it... ugh... anyway, let's see what other feedback we receive... I think that top line on The Shining may have been throwing me off as it's a different weight than the others.
    Yeah, I fixed that. I'm looking at the version you modded and I like the smaller line under "First Edition" let me do one more pass...

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    I think I would disagree with that Bruce. Would you spend money on slip-casing a non - 1st edition?
    I assumed you were trying to sell these as a FULL set of Doubleday slip cases.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I assumed you were trying to sell these as a FULL set of Doubleday slip cases.
    ? Not sure what you mean ? The idea has always been to create something that was specifically designed to house the first 5 books. (ie the 1st editions with the most value). Slipcases exist for some ('salem's and The Stand, but not the others and certainly nothing "uniform")

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

There you go. I think we have a winner...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

aaaand the last one is done.
    Now get started on the NEL UK versions!

Citizen of Gilead burial will become famous soon enough burial will become famous soon enough burial's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There you go. I think we have a winner...
    I think so too. These looks amazing
    Looking for:
    S/L: "Insomnia" (#117), "Firestarter", "EOTD #98"
    US 1st/1st: "Night Shift"
    Portfolios: "'Salem's Lot", "Cycle of Werewolf" (#192)
    please help me find any #731 or #431

My full Wanted List

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Get back to work on the phone app

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Get back to work on the phone app
    LOL - What I really should be doing is just getting back to work!!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Bruce. I was anticipating buying all as a set, but don't have first editions of a couple right now. Not saying "first edition" should be removed, just commenting that people will buy without owning. For me it's just easier to buy them now rather than try and get an exact matching slipcase a year or two down the road.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Ditto. I still need Carrie but I'll go for the set.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I agree with Bruce. I was anticipating buying all as a set, but don't have first editions of a couple right now. Not saying "first edition" should be removed, just commenting that people will buy without owning. For me it's just easier to buy them now rather than try and get an exact matching slipcase a year or two down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Ditto. I still need Carrie but I'll go for the set.
    Ok I understand now. Jeff sent me a set of sizes that he has for the DD books based on slipcases he has made before. (I'll post these when I'm no longer on a plane!!) members can check their books against these and determine if they need something slightly different. I don't see any issue with buying a full set that have been built to these sizes.

I think the 'First Edition' text should stay - even if you don't have one now, surely that is what you would aspire to eventually put in the case?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast