Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Slipcases & Traycases

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

The paper conservationist I mentioned in an earlier post brought up some interesting points/problems that he has seen in his years of working in the field. These were mostly related to "acid free" materials. He has seen slipcases made with acid free paper and cardboard but put together with a glue that was not archival quality. He said he has seen problems with transfer of the glue to the book and dj with adverse effects. He said also to be aware of mylar dust jacket covers that have acid free mylar and backing paper but joined with non-archival glue. He said he has seen some of these have problems with glue transfer to the dust jacket they were supposed to protect.

I'll have to read the descriptions for BroDart and DemCo dust jacket protectors more closely. I honestly have no idea if they use archival quality glue or not.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great comment on the glue. I have thought this many times. I actually went to Hobby Lobby and bought a tube of archival glue specifically for use in my library. I have fixed minor corners of slipcases with this glue and feel comfortable with it not ruining my books.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    The paper conservationist I mentioned in an earlier post brought up some interesting points/problems that he has seen in his years of working in the field. These were mostly related to "acid free" materials. He has seen slipcases made with acid free paper and cardboard but put together with a glue that was not archival quality. He said he has seen problems with transfer of the glue to the book and dj with adverse effects. He said also to be aware of mylar dust jacket covers that have acid free mylar and backing paper but joined with non-archival glue. He said he has seen some of these have problems with glue transfer to the dust jacket they were supposed to protect.

I'll have to read the descriptions for BroDart and DemCo dust jacket protectors more closely. I honestly have no idea if they use archival quality glue or not.
    The Just-a-Fold III covers I get from Brodart says they use a pH neutral PVA adhesive. I would hope that it is archival quality.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I use Brodart for all my books. Hopefully the glue is not a problem. I don't recall which brand I get. I think it's the Just a Fold.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Oh God. Now you guys are mentioning the wrong types of glue?! I never even thought about that as I would assume that companies like Brodart were making their wraps properly with the right adhesive. I guess time will tell if a dust jacket sticks to it. Maybe the wrong glue will simply stop working?
    I buy "just a fold II" and forget which else.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I took his statement to mean that some people use tape to "seal" their Brodart covers. I have seen this before. I would assume that maybe some use glue also. I didn't think he meant that Brodart used a non-archival adhesive.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I took his statement to mean that some people use tape to "seal" their Brodart covers. I have seen this before. I would assume that maybe some use glue also. I didn't think he meant that Brodart used a non-archival adhesive.
    The conservationist told me that some items sold as archival on eBay and elsewhere use nonarchival adhesive. He didn't say which brands. I took it to mean that I (we) should investigate before we buy any of this stuff to make sure that all of the material used is archival. Of course sealing the covers with Scotch tape is a no-no.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

This makes me think about the first Stephen King book I ever bought. It was a 1st UK edition of EOTD. I wrapped it in a plastic cover, not Brodart. Then I stuck down the ends with tape to the plastic not the book, but the tape was exposed to the inside boards. Didn't know what I was doing of course. Over the years it obviously caused the resin to stain the inside. I still have that book and like to look at it from time to time.

Country
    Country Flag

I use comic bags to cover some of my paperbacks. I then use standard scotch tape to close them. The tape never touches the book. What are the thoughts on this? Should I find archival tape?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    The conservationist told me that some items sold as archival on eBay and elsewhere use nonarchival adhesive. He didn't say which brands. I took it to mean that I (we) should investigate before we buy any of this stuff to make sure that all of the material used is archival. Of course sealing the covers with Scotch tape is a no-no.
    Good to know. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I certainly will keep mindful of what I buy.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I use comic bags to cover some of my paperbacks. I then use standard scotch tape to close them. The tape never touches the book. What are the thoughts on this? Should I find archival tape?
    As long as the tape never touches the book, I think you're okay.

John

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    As long as the tape never touches the book, I think you're okay.

John
    I'd say the same.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

If the tape isn't in contact with or in the environment of the book then you're fine.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Some Paperback Books in my Collection have been in plastic for over 50 years.

around 25 years ago I did replace the dusty bags for new (Stopped collecting Paperback almost 20 years ago now.)

Country
    Country Flag

I love the older paperbacks. I picked up a few the other day. Tales From the Crypt from early 60s never even been opened. It was 25¢ at Half Price Books.

Thanks for the info, by the way!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

OK folks, new set from Jeff is in hand and (IMHO) they look great!!

Jeff is now accepting orders, he's gonna be busy, so get in quick! Price will be £12.95 plus shipping as before as Jeff has once again paid for the plates in lieu of the quantity of orders based on member feedback. If you have stated in this thread that you will be buying one or more, please do so as Jeff has had the plates made on this basis. I'm also going to leave it a few days (so everyone here can get orders in first) and then I intend on posting their availability on SKCollector, CD and some other SK forums.

For those that have not ordered from Jeff before, please email direct to jeffrey.whiley@ntlworld.com. Note Jeff is UK based.

Some more photo's:

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Order placed! I hope i was first!!! I love them!! Please start working on "IT"

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    OK folks, new set from Jeff is in hand and (IMHO) they look great!!

Jeff is now accepting orders, he's gonna be busy, so get in quick! Price will be £12.95 plus shipping as before as Jeff has once again paid for the plates in lieu of the quantity of orders based on member feedback. If you have stated in this thread that you will be buying one or more, please do so as Jeff has had the plates made on this basis. I'm also going to leave it a few days (so everyone here can get orders in first) and then I intend on posting their availability on SKCollector, CD and some other SK forums.

Some more photo's:

Looks awesome!! Keeping the dust off my signed books!!!!

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Those look amazing. Unfortunately, I cannot afford any at the moment. I am curious why the art for Cujo is different and Firestarter doesn't include the dash (-).

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ordered!

sk

My Mood
    Confused

Looking good and I kept my word. I just sent Jeff an email asking for all 6 in black. Thanks!!!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Those look amazing. Unfortunately, I cannot afford any at the moment. I am curious why the art for Cujo is different and Firestarter doesn't include the dash (-).
    The dash got dropped as I felt it was cleaner without. You can see it was there originally on a post a few pages back. Cujo is different because the original cover is a very blurred image of the dogs snout. It really didn't lend itself to a two color image that is required for the embossing. The majority of my time and effort has been in recreating the original cover in this format, much as it pains me, there are going to be covers that just cant be made to look good. (BTW Different Seasons was a royal PITA!)
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The dash got dropped as I felt it was cleaner without. You can see it was there originally on a post a few pages back. Cujo is different because the original cover is a very blurred image of the dogs snout. It really didn't lend itself to a two color image that is required for the embossing. The majority of my time and effort has been in recreating the original cover in this format, much as it pains me, there are going to be covers that just cant be made to look good. (BTW Different Seasons was a royal PITA!)
    I won't argue but the Cujo doesn't interest me with that art. Firestarter on the spine without the dash is now two separate words. Still a great job.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I won't argue but the Cujo doesn't interest me with that art. Firestarter on the spine without the dash is now two separate words. Still a great job.

Since you aren't buying any, you do not qualify for the Money Back Guarantee.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

Since you aren't buying any, you do not qualify for the Money Back Guarantee.
    LOL
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast