Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting Vinyl Records

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

..."so you have to turn the record over to hear the rest of the songs?"

-My son Locke at age 15
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm no vinyl collector by any means, but there are three that stand out of what I own:
    1. Yellow Brick Road in the rare yellow vinyl
    2. An original Carrie soundtrack pressing
    3. 30th anniversary Ghostbusters pressing in Glow in the Dark vinyl

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I cant be ar$ed to go up in my loft to take pictures of my actual records, but thanks to the power of google - here are some of the more unique vinyl items I have...

This is just a few, I have *lots* more
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Nice! I used to own a bunch of Metallica picture disks (plus lots of other eighties metal albums) but all are gone. We're planning to buy a house soon and we decided to get a record player again once we move. My wife is a huge progressive rock/metal fan (also Pink Floyd etc.) but she also got rid of most of her LPs. Will be fun to track down all those oldies.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Nice! I used to own a bunch of Metallica picture disks (plus lots of other eighties metal albums) but all are gone. We're planning to buy a house soon and we decided to get a record player again once we move. My wife is a huge progressive rock/metal fan (also Pink Floyd etc.) but she also got rid of most of her LPs. Will be fun to track down all those oldies.
    I would advise that you stay away from the Crosley turntable/all in one units. I know a few members have them here, and I mean no disrespect, I've just heard they're really not good for your vinyl, or for sound quality for that matter.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I would be interested in a simple unit, probably with a USB connection. But we haven't really looked into it yet.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I've been dreaming of getting a record player for years, mainly for nostalgic reasons. I grew up looking through and listening to my parents' huge vinyl collection, and I'd love to begin my own collection. Don't get me wrong, an Ipod was one of the greatest inventions ever, in my opinion, but there is nothing like that warm sound that comes from listening to vinyl. There are still songs I listen to now that I expect to hear the crackle before or after because I associate them with hearing them on vinyl as a kid.
    So, yeah, I'd love to make the leap and get a player, but I'm intimidated by my lack of knowledge on where to even begin as far as purchasing a player.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I need a new turntable and that is exactly what I was going to buy. I like the looks of them and they are affordable. I hadn't read any complaints regarding them although I have read that the sound quality isn't the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    I would advise that you stay away from the Crosley turntable/all in one units. I know a few members have them here, and I mean no disrespect, I've just heard they're really not good for your vinyl, or for sound quality for that matter.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've got all my albums from when I started buying them in the 60's plus all those that other people were dumping and I kept all the ones my parents had when we cleaned out their house. (Mario Lanza anyone?)Most are in moving boxes but I'll see if any of the odd ones are easy to find.

I am still using my Fisher turntable from the 70's. I have a couple of others in furniture I'll take a pics of later.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I need a new turntable and that is exactly what I was going to buy. I like the looks of them and they are affordable. I hadn't read any complaints regarding them although I have read that the sound quality isn't the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    A quick Google and you'll see what I mean. I would also suggest Reddit.com/r/vinyl and reading their how to when buying a turn table (stickied on the right hand side)

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

RECORD SLEEVE

POSTERS & BOOKLET

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second the all-in-one units being sucky. I left mine on the curb after about a week. Super tinny and harsh sound.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Here's my set up. It's not top of the line but I did mix and match the units to my liking. I bought everything used except the turntable. I think the whole thing with speakers included was $500.

Some records I was just listening to. Two Nirvana represses on 180 gram vinyl. Bleach comes with a bonus live LP and a booklet with rare photos. Pictured in the booklet is their first contract: $600. In Utero is a triple LP with a bunch of demos and outtakes.

Both are gatefolds:

This a favourite of mine. 3 180 gram LPs, 3 CDs, a incredible number of extras. First up is the box that holds everything in one neat package:

Some of the extras. I don't know how all this cost $50. It just doesn't make sense:

More extras:

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I can understand listening to records printed on vinyl back when that's all there was, but I do not see the point on listening to new stuff on vinyl...seems like it would make the music less authentic than listening to records actually pressed in 1967.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I can understand listening to records printed on vinyl back when that's all there was, but I do not see the point on listening to new stuff on vinyl...seems like it would make the music less authentic than listening to records actually pressed in 1967.
    There are a LOT of musicians producing new music on vinyl, and as a medium there's no compression (like there is with mp3's) that aside, it tends to go hand in hand with a better quality stereo system. A turntable is traditionally paired with a pre amp, receiver, and some solid speakers. So the medium places an emphasis on a quality set up. It also offers the band a chance for large scale art work, liner notes, posters, coloured vinyl, picture discs, etc. So you're buying a package of artwork along side the music. It's a tangible collectible, which is why it's becoming popular once more, I think people who grew up on vinyl and then CD's have been missing the collectible aspect of music now that digital music has become the norm. I like the physical aspect of collecting vinyl.

Its akin to preferring physical books to ebooks.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have some Bose 501 Tower speakers I may let go for a cheap price. I don't think they make them any longer, they're about three feet high and would cost a lot to pack and ship. I don't use them any more I play everything through my acoustimass system. Pay the shipping and donate something cool for the HF maybe? Shame they are not in use. I used to have a stereo system in my "Man Cave" and the Den back in NY when I had a much bigger house. They've hardly been used. They are fucking awesome speakers. I won't own any other kind. I may also have a Bose clock radio laying around somewhere as well.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I have some Bose 501 Tower speakers I may let go for a cheap price. I don't think they make them any longer, they're about three feet high and would cost a lot to pack and ship. I don't use them any more I play everything through my acoustimass system. Pay the shipping and donate something cool for the HF maybe? Shame they are not in use. I used to have a stereo system in my "Man Cave" and the Den back in NY when I had a much bigger house. They've hardly been used. They are fucking awesome speakers. I won't own any other kind. I may also have a Bose clock radio laying around somewhere as well.
    Wow what an offer! If shipping weren't a nightmare for me I would take you up on that. Very generous Bill, someone jump on this!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I lost A HELL OF A LOT of vinyl in the divorce because I wasn't paying attention to what the Ex took and she made off with over 500Lbs of vinyl She took it all to the hills of Tennessee. Seeing the pics in this thread really gets my blood pumping.
    Thank you all for posting your pics.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I'm drooling over the Andromeda Strain and Horror vinyls! My husband and I have accumulated a number of records over the years. For Halloween this year, he gave me a copy of Creepshow on green meteor shit vinyl and I got him the Ghostbusters glow in the dark vinyl. I think our favorite, though, would be Disney's Haunted Mansion tour. Play that with the lights out and pretend you're on the ride.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    I think our favorite, though, would be Disney's Haunted Mansion tour. Play that with the lights out and pretend you're on the ride.
    Is that the read a-long one that comes with a comic? Wife and I listened to that one this year, I've had that since I was kid and put it on for the first time in decades. It's pretty awesome.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Not a week goes by that I don't buy at least a few records. Matter of fact, I just ordered nearly 20 records from Ebullition Records not 10 minutes ago.
    And here they are.

7" round up. Price range was from $2 to $5 each and most came with free download codes.

LP round up. These were from $7 to $12 for 180 gram vinyl. Download codes as well.

Country
    Country Flag

I picked up a huge lot of 200+ 33's last night, and a small stack of 45's. I will admit, the VAST majority of it is shit, but the price seemed right and I'll probably end up keeping only 30 or so.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finally pulled out a box of LPs. Got these from Broadart for whenever I move.

Looks like this box is all "classic" rock. I always liked the covers

I also go buy old albums in unplayable shape and make coasters

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    I think our favorite, though, would be Disney's Haunted Mansion tour. Play that with the lights out and pretend you're on the ride.
    Is that the read a-long one that comes with a comic? Wife and I listened to that one this year, I've had that since I was kid and put it on for the first time in decades. It's pretty awesome.
    Yea. I listened to that...or a version, as a kid. As it is a petroleum product one then can surmise that I was a kid AFTER the dinosaurs died.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast