Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: New project - but don't hold your breath!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple of people have mentioned other authors. Blanket statement - This is going to be Stephen King ONLY. I'm sorry if that disappoints some collectors but I need to draw the line somewhere. My reasoning is as follows:

1. The SK canon of works is unique, not just in scale of content but also it's collectibility. Very few authors have a collecting fan base that rivals that of King. How many authors do you know where you collect ALL the variant covers of their first editions? Proof copies, remarqued editions? A lot of this app would not be applicable
    2. It adds work and complexity. I would have to add sorting and filtering to allow specific authors to be searched and shown. I would also have to allow a user to NOT show other works
    3. It adds size. With one author, there is a finite number of books and even if you add multiple images of each book, it's going to be manageable. Adding an unlimited amount of authors will impact on the app size, loading times, search times, etc
    4. It's a little selfish, but I ONLY collect King - I want this to be a *KING* app.

My exception to this will possibly be the inclusion of other authors who have written books about King and his work - I expect this to be phase II or beyond. Ultimately I would like it to match the Catalog of TDT.org - if it's listed there it will be in the app.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post

Also, I see you spelled The Shining as The Shinning. Was that an honest mistake or a reference to The Simpsons?
    Fixed
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Updated the screen based on some feedback.

I have added the option to list either as "All Books" or "Missing Books" - the remaining filters can then be applied to reduce the list to specific titles.

I added "Other International Books" - Caveat: for the pre-installed list of books, this will be limited to those editions that are regarded as either unique 'collectibles' or the true world first ('ES' or 'Nebal' for instance).

'd like to add functionality so users can import their own book data - separate (but still searchable) from the main canon of works. This has it's own complexities and will be included in a later release.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Background:

If not, could the background be a rotating/random changing image of 1 King book cover?

One more author please-Richard Bachman.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Background:

If not, could the background be a rotating/random changing image of 1 King book cover?

One more author please-Richard Bachman.
    Splash screens are fixed images - cant really change them on the fly.
    Bachman is catered for (see #78 - menu option "Include Bachmans")

Isn't there a copyright issue with this image?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The artist allowed the image for use on the site. I suppose he would have to grant you permission. If he could be contacted, I think he would say yes. If not, I bet Darek Kocurek would make something custom.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The artist allowed the image for use on the site. I suppose he would have to grant you permission. If he could be contacted, I think he would say yes. If not, I bet Darek Kocurek would make something custom.
    Now THATS a hell of an idea! Any members who have close contacts with SK artists please fell free to get them on board!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Now THATS a hell of an idea! Any members who have close contacts with SK artists please fell free to get them on board!
    Do we want to solicit multiple images from different artists? Perhaps then choose what is best. Suggestions for image:

• Original art.
    • Iconic of Stephen King.
    • Portrait shape.
    • No text on image.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

How about this image?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Keep 'em coming guys - once we have all contributions we can have a poll to vote. Maybe we can even get Members vs Artists!

(we need an icon too, if you don't want to do a full splash screen)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Keep 'em coming guys - once we have all contributions we can have a poll to vote. Maybe we can even get Members vs Artists!

(we need an icon too, if you don't want to do a full splash screen)

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post

Not my final entry. Playing with fonts, wording, etc.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Firstly - Love the name, I am going with this until the unlikely event that someone produces something better! It also has the added advantage of NOT being used as the title for another book. I like the font too - (Please confirm the font name you used - looks like Hoefler with enlarged capitals and a modified K)
    Hey Simon. So the font I used is called "OptimusPrincepsSemiBold". There's no additional manipulation of the font. This set will have larger letters when you use ALL CAPS. So even though the rest of the letters are technically lowercase, they all show uppercase. But with the first letters entered as uppercase, they appear larger.

And I also do like the idea of an artist coming up with an image. My only feedback on that idea is that for it to work well, I feel it will need a filter layer on top of the image to darken it slightly. That way we can put the app name on top of that.

If this ends up with a decision to not put the app name on the image, then it's a moot point, but if it does, I'd be more than happy to work on the design with the artwork in Photoshop and come up with something.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Darek Kocurek contacted me today. Unrelated to this project, but I did ask him if he wanted to help. Hopefully I correctly stated our needs in a manner that translates well (English to Polish). I asked for:

• A splash screen image. It needs to be in portrait format, preferably a darker shade image, and Iconic of Stephen King. Either a book cover done in your own style, or an original image of Stephen King's face.
    • A square icon that would be used as the small application image on a smartphone.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Possible icon pics:

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Possible icon pics:

Copyright issues?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love this image, but Ernesto Priego seems tough to contact.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a really nice picture. Never seen it before.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Re icon. Photo's or photorealistic images do not make great app icons. Simple and identifiable that's what makes a good icon.

Basic test, if it still looks good in black and white (NOT greyscale) it's a good icon

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Remember that the icon is an icon, therefore small, and consequently the picture must be recosignable.
    What's the actual size needed?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Remember that the icon is an icon, therefore small, and consequently the picture must be recosignable.
    What's the actual size needed?
    iOS:
    180 x 180
    120 x 120
    120 x 120
    152 x 152
    76 x 76

Android:
    48 x 48
    72 x 72
    96 x96
    144 x 144
    192 x192

This is why bitmap or photo images make bad icons. It needs to be clean and simple and preferably done as a vector image that can be scaled without losing quality.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The KA logo would be sympbolically clearer... but then it is probably copyrighted by King's publisher / office
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Back to the basics.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Back to the basics.

Yes, that's the approach I was thinking too. SK initials.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast