Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do you agree with Sony's decision to pull 'The Interview'?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, it's been blown out of proportion. This is not The Satanic Verses; superficially there's some resemblance to what happened in that case, but no. I think there's a lot of impulse to throw a noble facade over base motives because we're so over-privileged as a nation. You shouldn't become prejudiced, Matt, (Actually, Meyers as Dr. Evil says, "It's like watching two bald men fighting over a comb. Who cares?!" and later "It's easy to kill a movie. Just move it to January.") although I can understand why it has become harder to expect any representative of the Hollywood community to show objectivity at this point. However, recall that some of them were, after all, directly affected to various degrees by the leaked material from the original hack. To me, the climate of paranoia created by breaching personal privacy is a more interesting issue and a more despicable act than the threat of improbable terrorism is. Of course, I would normally say that the latter is no laughing matter, either, but the very thing which makes The Interview different from past films is exactly that it, too, could easily be interpreted as a form of violent threat, only refuted by its own partial improbability based on having just the right cultural background to comprehend that America doesn't literally kill everybody whom our fiction shows executed, and at the same time knowing just the right way to forget that we do literally execute SOME of them, when we feel like it. There should definitely be criminal investigation on the piracy aspect. It's just not really WWIII here, come on. We're projecting how we have felt about unprincipled insults to our purest ideals onto a situation that's considerably more compromised to begin with.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Good points path. And your points bring me to a point: a story like has so many angles and implications its easy to get mad at the wrong or two many things and because energy is going so many places nothing tends to happen. Invasion of privacy and the loss of privacy are HUGE concerns in this digital age, amongst the biggest and we can blame hackers, the government, this and that but we do it to ourselves all the time. We put so much information out there willingly, daily, hourly in some cases. I want to ask 100 people this question: what is the worst part about The interview situation? Curious how many different answers I'd get and what answer would be said the most times.

My friend on Facebook said he's finding a theatre showing this movie and he's going to pay to see ot because the whole situation around this movie pissed him off. I countered saying "If this whole situation pisses you off, then giving them money can only encourage to make another film like this to create a situation to piss you off again. Why are you supporting the movie whose existence caused you to be so pissed off? Seems best way to prove a point is by not watching it." I think my point was valid, he disagreed.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

My only question is since this movie was due to be released on Christmas day, where are all the people complaining about making people work on Christmas rather than being home with their families?

They were sure vocal about it on Thanksgiving Day.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think family time on Christmas is the previous eve & the morn. Cinemas open later. Christmas dinner is not such a big deal to the majority anymore. But that's not I don't think a question specific to current event -- Dec. 25 openings have long since become common and nationally make extra big money.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Cinemas around here open around noon christmas day I believe. A lot of families will open gifts, have breakfast/lunch/brunch then go see a movie. I know of some people who have family over/go to family's, they eat christmas dinner then go see a movie as a big family. I'm like awesome, something you can all do together, but more often than not it's a family movie. No one is going to see Nightcrawler on Christmas day haha

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sony will NOW be releasing the movie Xmas day... select theaters and on demand.... WOW... just witnessed the best PR campaign in history. lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Sony will NOW be releasing the movie Xmas day... select theaters and on demand.... WOW... just witnessed the best PR campaign in history. lol
    Will laugh if I was right haha

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If it's screened it will be limited release only.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I read that it will be made available to 300 independent theaters.

The article didn't say how many would actually show it.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I see a Paranormal Activity.style DEMAND TO SEE THIS MOVIE campaign starting up from somewhere haha

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if all these people want to see the movie now just because of all the craziness that's surrounded it. I still think the whole thing is ridiculous.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Hindsight is always 20-20 of course but, didn't Sony foresee something like this happening? It's not like the films centers around the assassination of a fictional figurehead who just happens to bear more than a passing resemblance to KJO, it's actually supposed to be him. That was a crazy risk in every way imaginable.
    This is my contention as well. What were they thinking in making this film??? Did they really think it would go unnoticed and unpunished, considering the nature of the N. Korean regime? If Sony truly did not see something like this coming, they are too stupid for words and deserve to take a 100 million dollar hit.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...ve-1201386885/
    Netflix is in talks with Sony Pictures to stream “The Interview” to its subscribers. If a deal comes together, the movie would not be available day and date with its Christmas Day release in theaters but would likely stream on the netcaster within a few days.

Netflix declined comment. It’s understood that Sony execs screened the movie for Netflix execs in recent days.

Sony has just announced a group of online distribs that will make the movie available for rental today starting at 10 a.m. PT: Google Play, YouTube Movies, Xbox Video and the website SeetheInterview.com for $5.99, or $14.99 for an HD version.

A Netflix deal would also give the movie a broad platform to be seen by the netcaster’s’ 53 million global subscribers. But a Netflix airing also raises questions about how that would impact the movie’s traditional pay TV exhibition window, as Sony Pictures has an output deal with Starz.

Starz has declined comment on the matter as the unprecedented disruption in the movie’s planned release schedule has made the situation very fluid. However, it’s understood that the pay cabler has been leaning toward not taking the movie if it gets broad VOD and streaming distribution prior to its regular pay-TV window, which would kick in about 10 months after the movie hit theaters.

Sony is not believed to be in talks with any other SVOD service — meaning no Hulu or Amazon — for the movie.

“The Interview” has become a cause célèbre among free speech advocates after a threat from hackers linked to North Korea spurred major theater chains to back out of showing it and Sony to scrap its Dec. 25 theatrical release.

But on Monday and Tuesday, a number of indie theaters came forward with offers to screen the movie, allowing Sony to save some face and proceed with the Dec. 25 bow, albeit in about 300 theaters rather than the nearly 3,000 that had been set for the wide release, before the unprecedented cyber attack masterminded by North Korea sent the studio and the movie’s prospects into a tailspin.

Although Sony last week denied any plans for a VOD or streaming release, the studio clearly was reaching out to potential digital partners. Sources said the outreach to Netflix and others came before word surfaced about the indie theater push.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3