Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: X Marks the Spot 2

Demon of the Prim Maturins_Daughter is on a distinguished road Maturins_Daughter's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default X Marks the Spot 2

Complete the equation~

X + boring = Candle (Can + Dull)
    X + a knight = Cancer (Can + Sir)
    Double + X = Toucan (Two + Can)
    X + an opening = Candour (Can + Door)
    X + a prison unit = Cancel (Can + Cell)
    Lamp component + X = Wiccan (Wick + Can)
    X + a tangle = Cannot (Can + Knot)
    X + a rocky peak = Cantor (Can + Tor)
    X + a Scottish River = Candy (Can + Dee)
    Type of paint + X = Oilcan (oil + Can)
    X + hither's partner = Canyon (Can + Yon)
    X + snack = Cannibal (Can + Nibble)
    X + a soup addition, often =Canoodle (Can + Noodle)
    Type of nuisance + X = Publican (Public + Can)
    X + a sometimes funny touch = Canticle (Can + Tickle)
    X + a chasm = Cannabis (Can + Abyss)
    X + none = Canary (Can + Nary)
    X + a youngster = Canteen (Can + Teen)

Helpful Info:
    1) X is the same value in all equations.
    2) If the equations included "X + cutting implement" and "leaping + X", you might conclude the answers were "Jack Knife" and "Jumping Jack", where X = Jack
    3) X does not = Jack in the puzzle above.

Clue: X + X = a dance
    Last edited by Maturins_Daughter; 12-19-2014 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Solved!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Maturins_Daughter View Post
    Complete the equation~

X + boring =
    X + a knight =
    Double + X =
    X + an opening =
    X + a prison unit = Cell or cell block?
    Lamp component + X =
    X + a tangle =
    X + a rocky peak =
    X + a Scottish River =
    Type of paint + X =
    X + hither's partner =
    X + snack =
    X + a soup addition, often =
    Type of nuisance + X =
    X + a sometimes funny touch =
    X + a chasm =
    X + none =
    X + a youngster =

Helpful Info:
    1) X is the same value in all equations.
    ??
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Demon of the Prim Maturins_Daughter is on a distinguished road Maturins_Daughter's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I can confirm that you have a partial answer

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Clue?

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Added one more hint.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Haven't quite got them all just yet...

X = ...
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Haven't quite got them all just yet...

X = ...
    You got most of them - see my notes within your spoiler tag

Great effort, though!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I know what x equals. But I only have a couple of the answers.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've added the correct answers so far - the rest are up for grabs!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

And added more hints

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Stroppy I have to apologize for the glaringly incorrect hint on the X + none line. It should read (hint definition-yellow) and I've changed it up top. None of the clues was meant to be a sound-alike (can+none = cannon).

For the Type of Nuisance, it's an old-fashioned term - the larger definition would be Tax Collector. And just because this has lasted awhile now, a second definition is "Owner of a tavern"

And what IS a stroppy goblin anyway?

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

In that case...

new answers

As to the Stroppy Goblin - it's an alias I have used for more years than I care to remember (If I said I used it on Bulletin Boards - over dial up 75 baud modem, that might give you an idea of how long ago I started). I can't honestly recall where or how I came up with the name, I just thought it sounded cool. Interestingly I just googled it and other than things that relate to me I found this in a review of a poem called 'Goblin Market and other poems' (1859). The phrase is not in the book (AFAIK) but was used by the reviewer in 2012.

The regular trochaic tetrameter of these 14 lines gives the figure of Lizzie an emblematic solidity. In the ensuing passage, after the proverbial and stately opening, the rhythm changes, and moves in step with the stroppy goblins. "Evil people", the poet calls them – but, as readers of the earlier passages know, they are more animal than human (Rossetti's own illustrations give some of them human hands). There's certainly a transgressive relish in the way she writes about both the Goblins' fruit-smearing and Lizzie's tight-lipped resistance. In that extraordinary simile, "her neck quaked like curd", Lizzie herself has become edible, a kind of junket.

I also found it in reference to the Green Goblin character in the Spiderman2 movie - again long after I had been using it:

The villains were always the better roles in Spider-Man - as they are in most superhero flicks - and Franco gets to loose the more insidious side of Harry's persona, and do it well. Over the course of the trilogy he went from perky nerd to stroppy Goblin novice. He kinda looks like he's having fun (early on at least), but by the end of Spider-Man 2 he looks as though it's all an irksome bother.

The answer to your question however is - I AM.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I had to look up the word "stroppy". Apparently it’s not one that we use in the US.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been always reading it as "strapping"

Great job on finding the answers, btw. Fascinating
    If you are going through hell - keep going

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

A large canned goose, to the belligerent mischievous dwarf-like creature, who single-handedly solved this entire puzzle! Even though your parsing of Canary was incorrect based on the clue, you got the answer right

Ahhhh I remember bulletin boards! Some of my first online experiences! Thanks for the lesson in stroppiness

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank You - Great Puzzle!!

Who's up next? I need a good one to keep me awake over xmas

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

X + a tangle = Cannot (Can + Knot)

Bastards!!

That was the one I banged my thin, American skull on a wall over for hours!! Stroppy likely wrote it on his mirror in toothpaste as he was brushing his teeth one morning...friggin smart folks!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

to be fair Jon, I needed the extra clue on that one too