Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Dust Jacket, Book, and Proof Variants

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King Dust Jacket, Book, and Proof Variants

Although variant DJ and book states have been discussed in numerous posts scattered around the forum, here's a thread dedicated to the topic.

This list started by consolidating as many of the past discussions as I could find, and is certainly open to correction and/or edits.

Excluded from the list:
    • Limited editions
    • Book proofs/ARC's (DJ Proofs are included.)
    • Reprints

Links to the books in the Catalog are included where applicable, and I also hunted down some forum posts with more information. It would be great for members who have the various states to post pictures in this thread so they're all together.

US Dust Jacket Variants
    1. 'Salem's Lot - 1st, 2nd & 3rd state DJ's. - Catalog | Link, Link, Link
    2. Pet Sematary - 1982/1983 date on back of DJ - Link
    3. The Bachman Books - Possibly a misprint? - Link
    4. The Tommyknockers - Red/Gold lettering - Catalog | Link
    5. Insomnia - Red/White DJ variants - Catalog
    6. Just After Sunset - DVD special - Catalog
    7. Under the Dome - White/Grey Lettering - Catalog
    8. Revival - 'Barnes & Noble' DJ - Link

US Book Variants
    1. Four Past Midnight - Black/Gold "SK" initials on boards - Link, Link

US - Printer Variants (Thanks jonp)
    1. Eyes of the Dragon - Arcata Graphics Fairfield, Pennsylvania OR Arcata Graphics Hawkins County, Tennessee OR Haddon Craftsmen, Scranton, Pennsylvania. - Link
    2. Misery - R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia OR Arcata Graphics, Fairfield, Pennsylvania
    3. Needful Things - R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia OR Arcata Graphics, Fairfield
    4. Gerald's Game - R.R. Donnelley & Son Company OR Book Press, Inc
    5. Dolores Claiborne - R.R. Donnelley & Son Company OR Arcata Graphics, Fairfield OR Arcata Graphics, Martinsburg
    6. Nightmares And Dreamscapes - Arcata Graphics, Fairfield OR R.R. Donnelley & Son Company
    7. Insomnia - Arcata Graphics Fairfield, Pennsylvania OR R.R. Donnelley & Son, Harrisonburg, Virginia
    8. Rose Madder - Quebecor Printing, Fairfield OR R.R. Donnelley & Son Company
    9. Desperation - Quebecor Printing, Fairfield OR Quebecor Printing, Martinsburg
    10. Black House - Q, DC, DH codes on copyright page (assumed to be printers codes - Q - Quebecor Printing Fairfield? DH - Donnelley Harrisonburg? - DC? ?) - Link

US Proof DJ's
    1. The Backman Books - Link
    2. Four Past Midnight - Link
    3. Needful Things - Link
    4. Rose Madder - Link, Link
    5. Desperation - Link

UK Dust Jacket Variants
    1. Christine - Export edition jacket with £8.95 price sticker - Link
    2. The Stand Uncut - £14.95/£16.95 - Link
    3. Four Past Midnight - £14.95/£14.99 - Link
    4. Nightmares & Dreamscapes - £15.99/£16.99 - Link
    5. Black House - Black/White DJ's - Catalog
    6. From a Buick 8 - Alternate DJ art - Link
    7. TWTTK - WHSmith - Catalog
    8. 11/22/63 - Red/Grey lettering - Link
    9. Doctor Sleep - WHSmith - Catalog
    10. Mr. Mercedes - WHSmith
    11. Revival - WHSmith - Link
    12. Finders Keepers - WHSmith - Link
    13. The Bazaar of Bad Dreams - WHSmith - Link
    14. End of Watch - WHSmith - Link

UK Book Variants
    1. Rose Madder - Blood drop endpapers
    2. Doctor Sleep - Waterstones - Link
    3. Revival - Waterstones (blue page edges) - Link

UK Proof DJ's
    1. The Tommyknockers - Link
    2. Four Past Midnight - Link
    3. The Dark Half - Link
    4. On Writing - Link
    5. Lisey's Story - Link
    6. Hearts in Atlantis - Link

BCE's
    1. Cell - Larger shoe on spine - Link, Link, Link
    2. Insomnoa - Red boards and black boards with white pastedowns. Gold "SK" stamping. Link
    Last edited by zelig; 06-09-2016 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added Insomnia BCE editions

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I think #13 Black House UK should be Black/White.

Great thread by the way. I love variants.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Waterstones did not have variant jackets, did they? I thought they were exactly the same as the normal H&S versions.

The books themselves has "extras".

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not a variant Dust jacket but it's in the list above. I have posted below a photo of the two variant endpages of the UK Rose Madder 1st HB. The blood drop on the Rose endpage state also has a cotton bound-in bookmark which is not present in the black endpage state.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    I think #13 Black House UK should be Black/White.

Great thread by the way. I love variants.

Mulleins
    Yes, you're right. That was a mistake and I've corrected it in the list. Thanks!

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, No: 13 should be Black/White for Black House as below.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Waterstones did not have variant jackets, did they? I thought they were exactly the same as the normal H&S versions.

The books themselves has "extras".
    I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but I know there was a Waterstones DJ for Revival, and for Doctor Sleep, there was one too. Pictures below. Looks like the same DJ as the regular Hodder 1st, but it has that sticker at the bottom right. And then there's the "author note" on the inside that is referred to on the sticker.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Yep, No: 13 should be Black/White for Black House as below.
    I really like the white cover.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

UK Nightmares and Dreamscapes - 1st State has a DJ priced at £15.99 and has the house illustration facing page 448 and the 2nd state has a DJ priced £16.99 and has the house illustration facing page 433.

Is it just me or does photo bucket now refuse to rotate photos. Aaargh!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

You uploaded it that way.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Waterstones editions of Doctor Sleep and Revival Dust jackets are as the trade 1st editions. It is the books only that differ, as in Doctor Sleep an extra author's note and Revival blue edges to the pages.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

You uploaded it that way.
    I used to be able to rotate the photos around but now they have upgraded the site it refuses to do it or just rotates them a quarter turn.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Aren't there only two version of The Eyes of the Dragon, smooth and embossed?
    From what I see in the catalog, the three printer variants only affect the copyright page.
    Mark Twain

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

The Waterstones editions of Doctor Sleep and Revival Dust jackets are as the trade 1st editions. It is the books only that differ, as in Doctor Sleep an extra author's note and Revival blue edges to the pages.
    Ah, okay. Good point. I think we should have some flexibility on this for the thread to include variants that may not be limited to DJ's. The vast majority are DJ variants but in the case of the UK Rose Madder and what you just mentioned for example, I think it's a good idea to include those as well.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Aren't there only two version of The Eyes of the Dragon, smooth and embossed?
    From what I see in the catalog, the three printer variants only affect the copyright page.
    The dj's are all the same. People think there are variants, but the coloring difference is due to fading. Obviously different printers on the CR page isn't a dj variance issue.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This looks like a great thread for a question I've had for a while; maybe it's been discussed somewhere else and I missed it...

I have a UK FDNS that has "Harry Streeter" instead of Dave Streeter" on the inside flap. Did they ever put out a DJ with the name corrected?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    This looks like a great thread for a question I've had for a while; maybe it's been discussed somewhere else and I missed it...

I have a UK FDNS that has "Harry Streeter" instead of Dave Streeter" on the inside flap. Did they ever put out a DJ with the name corrected?
    Mine says Harry Streeter.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

Mine says Harry Streeter.
    Didn't know about this. I'll add it to the list.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually we should probably confirm whether there was a correct DJ issued before it's considered a variant.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Great idea for a thread. Positive rep coming your way.

I suggest that the list be divided into separate categories, so that the various different variants can be grouped together for ease of reference. e.g. US 1sts, US proofs, Uk 1sts, UK proofs, etc., even BCE variants like the larger shoe on the spine of Cell.

Perhaps we could also add links to the catalog in addition to the various thread links. The catalog often has information about the variants.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

not sure if you would classify these as variants.... They are more proofs of the jackets...

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think those would be classified as proof dust jackets. I have a number of proof jackets with the only difference being there is a zero price on them. I wouldn't call them variants.

John

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

(the white stand is a publisher mockup for the limited edition)

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Great idea for a thread. Positive rep coming your way.

I suggest that the list be divided into separate categories, so that the various different variants can be grouped together for ease of reference. e.g. US 1sts, US proofs, Uk 1sts, UK proofs, etc., even BCE variants like the larger shoe on the spine of Cell.

Perhaps we could also add links to the catalog in addition to the various thread links. The catalog often has information about the variants.
    Thanks! Looks like I've given myself a new job here. Makes sense what you're saying. I'll make some updates to the list.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I think those would be classified as proof dust jackets. I have a number of proof jackets with the only difference being there is a zero price on them. I wouldn't call them variants.

John
    I agree they are proofs... but they definitely differ more than just no price....
    the rose madder one is very different, in the letter coloring, size and type

note that the 2nd four past midnight has different spine lettering and a different author photo on the back

the Regulator/Desperation look pretty much the same...missing the UPC codes though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast