Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: When would you consider your collection to be 'complete'? Or: The Essentials.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default When would you consider your collection to be 'complete'? Or: The Essentials.

I thought it would be fun to share our thoughts on which items are needed for our collections to consider them being 'complete'. Which essential books and other items would you personally require to make you perfectly happy with your collection, even if you could never buy another book? I know most of us are completists at heart even if we can't afford to be, but this topic should be about The Essentials (which does not necessarily mean that they should all be obtainable/affordable!).

PS please disregard the fact that collecting goals change over time, just let us know what you think today.
    PPS If you wish, share how far along you are!

I'll start.

I would be perfectly happy today if my collection included the following:

First editions
    • US 1st/1sts - all titles excluding 'Salem's Lot with 1st state DJ [ I still need 'Salem's Lot with 3d state DJ and The Gunslinger 1st edition, otherwise completed ].
    • US 1st paperback editions of the Bachman books [ completed ].
    • UK 1st/1sts - Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, Night Shift, The Stand, The Dead Zone, Danse Macabre [ completed ].

Proofs
    • US proofs chronologically up to and including Insomnia, excluding the grey Nightmares and Dreamscapes proof, the Nightmares in the Sky proof, and all DT proofs [ I need the Carrie ARC and Doubleday proofs, the Viking IT proof and the brown Dolan's Cadillac, otherwise completed ].
    • UK proofs chronologically from The Dead Zone up to and including The Dark Half, excluding all DT proofs [ I need The Dead Zone, Cujo, Christine, Different Seasons, Thinner, Skeleton Crew, The Talisman, IT, TEOTD and The Tommyknockers, otherwise completed. LOTS of work ahead... ].

Limited editions
    • Gift/deluxe/unsigned/artist: Cycle of the Werewolf, My Pretty Pony, Centipede 'Salem's Lot, One for the Road, DT V-VII, LSOE, WTTKH [ completed ].
    • Signed/numbered: Firestarter, Danse Macabre, Cujo, Skeleton Crew, The Talisman, TEOTD, Six Stories, Dolan's Cadillac (1/1,000 and 1/250), The Plant, The New Lieutenant's Rap [ I own none of these ].
    • Signed/lettered: Firestarter [ completed! Just kidding... ].

Magazines
    • The four Ubris issues, the two Startling Mystery mags, Marshroots, Maine Review with The Revenge of Lardass Hogan and Maine magazine with One for the Road [ I own none of these ].

Miscellaneous
    • Large print hardcover editions of Shawshank Redemption (US) and The Breathing Method (UK) [ I still need The Breathing Method ].

...pretty modest, eh?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh my... where do I begin... The list is long of what I need.. but I will be happy when my S/L collection is complete. I will pick at lettereds and GE's... but for the most part the S/L's mean the most to me. I love the production value of lettereds.. but the price is so nuts for most I may never finish should I try to go for them plus I am not rich. lol The GE's I would have tried to do but after the recent events in the GE market I am not going to bother. PS Pub putting out Carrie along with CD... too many, too much.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

No Proofs or Magazines (except SF&F) for me.

In order of attempting to complete...

1. All US 1sts (just need 'salem's Lot)
    2. All UK 1sts (completed)
    3. All Bachman PB's and SF&F Gunslinger PB's (completed)
    4. All GE's US and UK (completed)
    5. Books that only appear as S/L (Dolan's Cadillac, Six Stories, NLR, The Plant) - I have none of these
    6. Early S/L's (Firestarter, Danse Macabre, Cujo, Skeleton Crew, The Talisman, TEOTD, Christine, The Stand) - I only have the Stand
    7. Matching Set of S/L DT books. (I have none of these)

If I had all that I think I would at least stop looking every day....
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King