Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For those who have sold their collection and put it back together

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Default For those who have sold their collection and put it back together

Last edited by Kingfan24; 03-19-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Hard, if you're selling obscure stuff. I sold off major portions of my collection two or three times (I had legitimate reasons to do so) but I really underestimated how hard it would be to find some items again. There are at least fifteen things I once owned I'll probably never get back in my collection again.

It will be easier if you're only looking to sell (and later buy) S/Ls and trade editions. Those are always for sale. But proofs, pre-Carrie publications and stuff like that... those can be hard to find again....

Or do you mean whether or not it will be difficult (mentally) to invest the same amount of time, energy and money again after you let go of your collection?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Easy.
    I sold off everything I had. Started again in 2005 just as the prices dropped. Saved a fortune.
    Now I have a decent collection for a fraction of what most of the other collectors paid...

My Stephen King Book Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice chaos-consultants will become famous soon enough chaos-consultants's Avatar

I sold my copy of Fuel of Tender Years signed by King and Froehlich to Chris Cavalier and regretted it ever since. Good thing I was able to buy it back from Betts!!

I sold my Lt. Rap years ago and regretted it ever since. Just bought it back from the ebay super-collection!

John
    Stephen King Wantlist: Ubris, Dt2 #768; SDreams1 #543 - Thankee-Sai

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

eBay super-collection?

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

First of all-great topic. I know someday I will sell my books(hope it is not for a while) but that day will come for most of us.
    There are things, maybe each of us have, that would be almost impossible to get ever again.
    I think it would be tough to get everything back but having not had to sell off everything yet, I can not relate to it.
    There are just some things that are extremely rare to find-certain proofs, manuscripts etc for sure or a special signed "To Mike" book etc.
    With the amount of items I have, selling them all would be a long and tough ordeal.
    Glad I'm not there yet...

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    eBay super-collection?
    What is that?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

No idea, John mentioned it in the post directly above mine.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

blood in the water
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gunslinger Apprentice Drake69 will become famous soon enough Drake69's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

It was easy for me... kinda. I had all of SK's books with a few exceptions as paperbacks until we lost our house to a split tree during hurricane Irene. I used some of the rebuild money from the insurance payout to replace everything into hardback (I had several of the newer releases in HB and they happened to be stored away from the house, including my DT series artist editions, yay!), and was able to put together a fine collection. I know several of the older books are BCE's, but it just looks better seeing them on the shelf in the original dustjackets to me.

My two-cents.

Gunslinger Apprentice Drake69 will become famous soon enough Drake69's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

eBay super-collection?
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    What is that?
    Sounds like a mega-auction of someone's nearly entire SK collection. Shudder to think how much THAT came up to!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Drake69 View Post
    eBay super-collection?
    What is that?
    Sounds like a mega-auction of someone's nearly entire SK collection. Shudder to think how much THAT came up to!
    Im in. lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Well, yes, that's what it sounds like. But I can't find anything pointing to it, much less towards the sale of a copy of New Lieutenant's Rap. I fully trust John but the only super collection that is currently for sale that I know of is Grant's, at Betts. Hence my question.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, yes, that's what it sounds like. But I can't find anything pointing to it, much less towards the sale of a copy of New Lieutenant's Rap. I fully trust John but the only super collection that is currently for sale that I know of is Grant's, at Betts. Hence my question.
    I thought it might be Gerald's, but so far he has only sold 2 pieces I believe, neither of which was a NLR.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    I thought it might be Gerald's, but so far he has only sold 2 pieces I believe, neither of which was a NLR.
    Me too. I was also thinking that. I think he just tested the Ebay market. I belive (and I may be wrong) he has not 100% decided what to do. If I could have my pick (and that counts for shit) I would like to see him use Bett's. David is so good at what he does... and it would make it much less stressful for Gerald. There is so much he has I want.lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

ive had to do this three times. of course only pieces of my collection. But I REALLY miss some of the pieces I had to sell after 2008 economy collapse

Gunslinger Apprentice chaos-consultants will become famous soon enough chaos-consultants's Avatar

It was the big auction of items that was online about a month ago and then ended early. It was posted here in the auction category. It was close to 5K for the lot. I didn't buy the entire lot but I made a good offer on a number of the pieces driven by my poor choice to sell the Lt years ago. Either way, I realize I led us all of topic. Mike, I too like you would have a tough time selling stuff. Anybody interested in the Tommyknockers typewriter from the film??? thought so LOL!

John
    Stephen King Wantlist: Ubris, Dt2 #768; SDreams1 #543 - Thankee-Sai

Along the Path of the Beam 2929 will become famous soon enough 2929's Avatar

Everything I had is gone now, except for a signed/limited of THE SHINING. I can't regret, since it took my family through some tough times, but I expect that rebuilding will take a lot more (money) than it took to assemble the collection in the first place. Interested in this and will probably start a Collection thread with Piece #2.

Country
    Country Flag

Question for everyone out here. David @ Bett's just said another "revision" coming and to stay tuned,....... meaning he is getting ready to lower the prices on Bad Penny's stuff again is what I see. From what he paid for stuff and what it has sold for and is being sold for... you all think he will:

A) Break even
    B) Make money
    C) Lose money

I was thinking a D... cause he was so into Glenn and a lot of that stuff has no value. Just started pondering that. I mean I know he made some money but he has got to be losing a lot now eh?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Question for everyone out here. David @ Bett's just said another "revision" coming and to stay tuned,....... meaning he is getting ready to lower the prices on Bad Penny's stuff again is what I see. From what he paid for stuff and what it has sold for and is being sold for... you all think he will:

A) Break even
    B) Make money
    C) Lose money

I was thinking a D... cause he was so into Glenn and a lot of that stuff has no value. Just started pondering that. I mean I know he made some money but he has got to be losing a lot now eh?
    Don't see an option D.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

A) Break even
    B) Make money
    C) Lose money

Don't see an option D.
    I was saying I was going to add it.. I take it I should have. haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

cause he was so into Glenn and a lot of that stuff has no value (to webstar1000).
    Fixed that for ya!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

It comes down to what accounting standard you use. If you think he can't take a loss on an item until he actually sells it, then he's probably in the black. If you "mark to market", then I think you'd have to believe that he has lost money. For example, what is the value of the 65 pieces of Chadbourne art? I think they're worth (a lot) less than $82.50, but I don't think they have "no value". Without even looking at the photbucket, I would say I would pay $100 for the entire lot. However, if Grant values them at $82.50 (or more) each, and is willing to have them shipped back to Australia, has he really taken a loss? I think we need an accountant's opinion on this matter.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Question for everyone out here. David @ Bett's just said another "revision" coming and to stay tuned,...
    Where did he say that?

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000

.... meaning he is getting ready to lower the prices on Bad Penny's stuff again is what I see. From what he paid for stuff and what it has sold for and is being sold for... you all think he will:

A) Break even
    B) Make money
    C) Lose money

It's impossible to say without more information. Some of his collection will bring more than he paid and some less.

That said I would imagine that he is going to lose money. He has to pay David his fee. He had to have the items shipped to him originally and now ship them again. Even if he sold them for what he paid, he would lose money just because of that.

I'm sure he didn't pay full market price for all of those Chadbourne remarques. Glenn was hooking up his best customer for sure. There may be enough added value there to balance other losses. I'm not quite sure what you meant by "has no value."
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

They are not in David's possession, Grant still has them (the sketch inserts and art pieces). I'm sure Grant is just trying to make back the investment he paid per piece to have them done by Chadbourne. I come from the comic book collecting hobby and there is a giant sub-genre built around collecting Original Art and sketches drawn by artists at conventions, so perhaps that is why I am much more open to the idea of purchasing hand drawn art in general (and at similar prices). Also I love the idea of being able to have a remarque that you can just stick in the book itself. I think it is neat.

Is it expensive for a small piece? Possibly, but I guess it depends on what your collecting bent is and how much you are willing to spend. I have bought a few pieces both at the original price point AND the discounted one. Plus i bought a piece from the Twisted Nadine series from David before Grants collection went on sale. PLUS I bought one from Twisted Nadine herself when she ebay auctioned her remaining pieces (albeit it closed at a lower price point). I remember the Twisted Nadine's Shardik sketch sold in the Haven fund auction for like $300 and I was mad because I wanted it and had been very close to pulling the trigger on it through Bett's at original list price.

Am I an idiot for spending money on these pieces at these prices? Perhaps, but I am satisfied. I am buying what I like. I enjoy collecting hand drawn art. I have a load of comic convention sketches and published pages and, since finding these forums, I have gone into collecting Stephen King art, both published and unpublished.

I bought the cover to Secretary of Dreams II from Badpenny's collection and I dont care how much any malcontent loves to ragg on Chadbourne or other collector's choices of purchases, a Published book cover oil painting for JUST OVER $300 is a fantastic investment.

To each their own I guess.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast