Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: For those who have sold their collection and put it back together

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It is of my opinion that the commissioning price of a intricately detailed sketch by a published artist could very well be $100 per piece. Perhaps he got a bulk deal. Who knows. Glen, BadPenny, and TwistedNadine do.

Comic artists sketching at cons that are moderately famous, published, and currently working often charge a similar rate just to do a one figure con sketch.

Bigger artists can charge up to $500 and people pay it all day long.

Collectibles is sure an interesting mania.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm always intrigued by collectors that focus on the resale possibility, profit margin for flipping, and financial minutiae of the collectibles market.

That is certainly not my focus, but of course different people look for different things from the hobby.

Collect what you like and all who beg to differ be damned.

If you value resale or possible financial profit over owning the items themselves that bring your favorite books to life or closer to your heart, then the decision is easy: be more discriminating in your purchases.

If you spend your money on what you like and brings you passion, then you dont have to worry about resale value because you will be keeping it, lol
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    For whatever reason (marriage, financial stuff, new house, etc. etc.) how hard has it been to put back together?
    An interesting question, b/c I'm in the process of selling a bunch of stuff. I really only collect trade firsts and S/L'ds so there's nothing in my King collections that will be hard to find later. And I'm telling myself that indeed I will repurchase what I have to let go of at some point. Will I? I don't know. But that's my goal, eventually.

The situation is a bit different for my Arkham House collection. I've already sold most of my "highly desirable" editions. These books will be much more difficult to find (in good condition) than the King books. And much more expensive to boot. I will miss my King collection, but the real punch in the gut is having to let go of the Arkhams. I'm also telling myself that one day I'll repurchase these.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Question for everyone out here. David @ Bett's just said another "revision" coming and to stay tuned,...
    Where did he say that?

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000

.... meaning he is getting ready to lower the prices on Bad Penny's stuff again is what I see. From what he paid for stuff and what it has sold for and is being sold for... you all think he will:

A) Break even
    B) Make money
    C) Lose money

I was thinking a D... cause he was so into Glenn and a lot of that stuff has no value. Just started pondering that. I mean I know he made some money but he has got to be losing a lot now eh?

It's impossible to say without more information. Some of his collection will bring more than he paid and some less.

That said I would imagine that he is going to lose money. He has to pay David his fee. He had to have the items shipped to him originally and now ship them again. Even if he sold them for what he paid, he would lose money just because of that.

I'm sure he didn't pay full market price for all of those Chadbourne remarques. Glenn was hooking up his best customer for sure. There may be enough added value there to balance other losses. I'm not quite sure what you meant by "has no value."
    He updated his site this am. I am "assuming" he is lowering the remaining stuff again. I imagine Grant sure took a hit on the shipping. That sucks. I was just thinking about him this am after seeing that post and then I seen this thread and thought I would see what the community thought. I personally do not mind Glenn's work for the record and some of it is pretty cool... there is just soooo much of it. He pumps it out like a machine. Supply n Demand...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    For whatever reason (marriage, financial stuff, new house, etc. etc.) how hard has it been to put back together?
    An interesting question, b/c I'm in the process of selling a bunch of stuff. I really only collect trade firsts and S/L'ds so there's nothing in my King collections that will be hard to find later. And I'm telling myself that indeed I will repurchase what I have to let go of at some point. Will I? I don't know. But that's my goal, eventually.

The situation is a bit different for my Arkham House collection. I've already sold most of my "highly desirable" editions. These books will be much more difficult to find (in good condition) than the King books. And much more expensive to boot. I will miss my King collection, but the real punch in the gut is having to let go of the Arkhams. I'm also telling myself that one day I'll repurchase these.
    I know exactly how you feel about selling your Arkham books. I sold my complete set a number of years ago and miss them sometimes. I got a VERY good price for them, but...

John

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Question for everyone out here. David @ Bett's just said another "revision" coming and to stay tuned,...
    Where did he say that?

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000

.... meaning he is getting ready to lower the prices on Bad Penny's stuff again is what I see. From what he paid for stuff and what it has sold for and is being sold for... you all think he will:

A) Break even
    B) Make money
    C) Lose money

I was thinking a D... cause he was so into Glenn and a lot of that stuff has no value. Just started pondering that. I mean I know he made some money but he has got to be losing a lot now eh?

It's impossible to say without more information. Some of his collection will bring more than he paid and some less.

That said I would imagine that he is going to lose money. He has to pay David his fee. He had to have the items shipped to him originally and now ship them again. Even if he sold them for what he paid, he would lose money just because of that.

I'm sure he didn't pay full market price for all of those Chadbourne remarques. Glenn was hooking up his best customer for sure. There may be enough added value there to balance other losses. I'm not quite sure what you meant by "has no value."
    He updated his site this am. I am "assuming" he is lowering the remaining stuff again. I imagine Grant sure took a hit on the shipping. That sucks. I was just thinking about him this am after seeing that post and then I seen this thread and thought I would see what the community thought. I personally do not mind Glenn's work for the record and some of it is pretty cool... there is just soooo much of it. He pumps it out like a machine. Supply n Demand...
    I agree with the fact that because there are a lot of Chadbourne pieces it could seem to devalue their "worth." But who knows? Original Art is not really a short term game. Just take a look at what silver and bronze age comic book pages are selling for now. In the short term, the very artists themselves sold them for pittances (and sometimes ended up penniless as well, later in life) and now those pages go for 20K and up.

The rule with art is buy what you like, try not to overspend and hold on to them for a while.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2