Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Revival discussion thread *SPOILERS*

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, great analysis, I just finished Revival yesterday! I got the impression that Jacobs didn't just want to find out about the other side, he wanted to try to control it while still alive, and that's why he was so obsessed(?)
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Yes, great analysis, I just finished Revival yesterday! I got the impression that Jacobs didn't just want to find out about the other side, he wanted to try to control it while still alive, and that's why he was so obsessed(?)
    I think the possibility of seeing his wife and child again also had something to do with it.

John

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think there certainly was a concept of lost time and wanting a chance to, at the least, make reprimands for not taking advantage of the time we have on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    I think the possibility of seeing his wife and child again also had something to do with it.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I think he wanted to find out what happened to his wife and child, but at the same time he was arrogant and thought he could control the 'secret lightning' and control the afterlife. He thought he was smarter than everyone else, and equal to God.

Traveler yellow_201 is on a distinguished road

I think we are missing a very important thing about the ending: Charles Jacobs cured Jamie´s brother at the beginning of the story, and at the end, he was part of the suicidal command that was ´cured´ by the electrical (dark) force. That means that Charles Jacobs had that evil curiosity even before his family died (He used Jamie´s brother as guinea pig. He was evil from the beginning).

Traveler sucrukihoj@housat.com is on a distinguished road

Default Bar e vs. power e

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    It should be either "...mastered a barred E, that was it." or "...mastered the barre E chord."
    I think there is a mistake from the King himself. Maybe he's not a guitar player? Jamie says several times in the book that rock is based on bar e, but that's idiotic. You could say it's based on p o w e r - e, ie. e5. Misunderstanding in research perhaps?

A lot of rock is in e and a lot of rock is played with power chords. And once you can do power e and power a, and b,
    you can do a simple rock groove (and blues as well). But to say that you have rock covered by learning b a r r e - e, that's very strange. It's of course possible but who does that?

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

So I recently did a re-listen to this book. I have to reiterate how much I like 99% of this book and the wonderful character development and telling Jamie's life story.

As far as the ending goes, after really pondering it and thinking on this, I do believe he missed the mark with the ending. Originally it really disturbed me. But being able to put some time between the first reveal and now that changed.

I think there was real promise in the idea of a door between the two that was locked, and should stay locked. And opening that door let Mother into our world. Almost a "Pet Semetary" kind of thing where the person coming through wasn't an angel, but a demon and a big baddie. Instead of getting a glimpse into the afterlife through the key hole, Mother could have come through with the promise of an apocalypse. Maybe.

But the actual reveal of giant ants and crazy colors and enslaved humans kinda went over the top. It was too much Freddy Kruger, and not enough Omen.

Still a fantastic novel, imo. I always find these books/movies/tv shows that cover long periods of a person's life very interesting and they tend to make me introspective on my own life.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I agree with you on that ending. I remember finishing it and thinking "what the fuck is up with the giant ants?!" It seemed out of place somehow.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I agree. I really loved the book up until the ending. It was just so different from the rest of the book, and seemed out of place to me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I agree with you on that ending. I remember finishing it and thinking "what the fuck is up with the giant ants?!" It seemed out of place somehow.
    Amanda.

But I agree with you all. The end was definitely creepy, but a little jarring in that it was so different than the rest of the book. Plus, if I'm remembering right, the ending with the reveal you mentioned wasn't ver long. Just a handful of pages. I think it would've been better had King expanded on it a little more.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Look, with all the King books we've read, if we finish a story and think it's weird, then it's weird.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4