Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Revival discussion thread *SPOILERS*

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Default Revival discussion thread *SPOILERS*

I've read a lot of books this year and I'm not sure it would make the top 10 - but it's a good one.

It's certainly my favorite SK book in a long time...I liked 11/22/63 but it was SO long. And I couldn't stand Dr. Sleep. And Under the Dome was good but sort of goofy. I really liked Full Dark, No Stars, though - so I guess it's my favorite since FDNS.

My review on Amazon is the "most helpful!" Haha

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default Revival discussion thread *SPOILERS*

Has anyone finished it yet?

I'll have to take some notes and gather my thoughts for a cohesive review but for now I'll say I dug it. Things King knows about from experience are always my favourite parts to read: addiction, reflections on boyhood, being a rhythm guitarist (I can relate) etc.

It's not top tier King but overall it's a solid 4 out 5. I liked it more than Mr. Mercedes and Doctor Sleep, and just a touch less than Joyland.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not one to write extensive reviews but I liked it a lot. Great nostalgic storytelling and some good old Lovecraftian horror. Not the nihilism of Pet Sematary but more reminiscent of IT (although much smaller in scope, of course).

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Just finished. Intense ending, wow.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

This probably slipped through the cracks in the copyediting process but it's not a 'bar' chord, it's a barre chord. The context King used it in made it obvious so maybe it was the spellchecker. The sentence is "...mastered a bar E, that was." It should be either "...mastered a barred E, that was." or "...mastered the barre E chord."

Even that is a little iffy because the E King keeps mentioning throughout the book is E Major (all that shit starts in E), which is the lowest note on a guitar in the standard E tuning. The only way to play a barre E is the one higher on the scale (A string, 7th fret root note*) and that is the E all that shit definitely doesn't start in. Barre chord is a family of chords that are all shaped the same that utilize all four fingers and hit all 6 strings at the same time. The shape is the 'major' note with an index finger pressing down on other 3 strings. You can get to barre F and after that it's E major. You don't need the index finger-you hold the major shape but 3 strings are now open. So yes, still the same family of notes, still the same shape but it's not a barre, just a simple E major.

Confused much? OK, in short: King's "bar E" should be "E Barre" and that is just E major.

* you could play a barre E on the 12th E string but that is the same note as A 7th string, an octave higher and a barre on 12th string sounds terrible.

Country
    Country Flag

That's good to know. No sarcasm. I've been playing for twenty years and have never encountered a single guitarist who spelled it "bar" in real life. Oh well.

This picture from the link you posted is what I meant. That's a barre F. As low as you can get. "Bar E" King mentions is still incorrect, slide one position lower and it's E Major.

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Maybe he means bar E as in an E typically heard in bars...

Finished the book yesterday, still wrapping my head around it, but it was a lot of fun. Different. Shorter and brisker than I expected.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm only about 100 pages in, but I have a question that I can't get out of my head.... What other stories has Harlow appeared in?? I can only think of one: Riding the Bullet. But I feel like it's been in at least a few more. Also, it's really neat to see Gates Falls again! Maine Street Horror, I love it!

It's mentioned in Under the Dome, I believe

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapt...few-exceptions
    Stephen King’s new novel “Revival” is receiving mostly positive reviews.

The new book by the legendary author, which was released on Nov. 11, centers on Jamie Morton, who first meets Methodist minister Charles Jacobs as a child. After Charles’s family is affected by tragedy, Charles says he no longer believes in God and is forced to leave town. But Jamie encounters Charles again years later.

Monitor critic Erik Spanberg wrote that he thinks the work compares unfavorably to the author’s recent book “Mr. Mercedes” although he still finds it satisfying.

“This book isn’t as much fun as ‘Mr. Mercedes,’” he wrote. “But King fans won’t lose any faith in his powers while breezing through “Revival.”

Meanwhile, Amazon named the title as one of its best books of November.

“He's such a great storyteller," Amazon editorial director Sara Nelson said of the book. "[There are] universal themes of good and evil and 'Is there a God?’”

Publishers Weekly gave the book a starred review, calling it a “spellbinding supernatural thriller.”

“King (‘Mr. Mercedes’) is a master at invoking the supernatural through the powerful emotions of his characters, and his depiction of Jacobs as a man unhinged by grief but driven by insatiable scientific curiosity is as believable as it is frightening,” PW wrote. “The novel’s ending – one of King’s best – stuns like lightning.”

Washington Post critic Elizabeth Hand called the new book “splendid" saying that it "offers the atavistic pleasure of drawing closer to a campfire in the dark to hear a tale recounted by someone who knows exactly how to make every listener’s flesh crawl.” Brian Truitt of USA Today predicted that "Revival" will have readers “singing King’s praises.”

“Worshippers at the Universal Church of Stephen King have a lot to rejoice about with his latest literary sermon,” he wrote. “Revival is a dark and haunting tale…. At the same time it's an emotional and spectacular coming-of-age tale.”

However, James Kidd of The Independent had problems with the book’s ending.

“Where 'Revival' falls down, if not quite apart, is in its climax,” he wrote. “But after Revival’s finely judged first 5/6ths, the conclusion feels rushed and unbalanced…. 'Revival' is fine if not vintage King, but that still makes it tastier than most bestsellers out there.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/bo...ival.html?_r=0
    You can fall down a very deep rabbit hole just pondering the list of names to whom Stephen King dedicates “Revival,” his second skin-crawler published this year. (“Mr. Mercedes” arrived in June.) Some, like Bram Stoker and H. P. Lovecraft, are familiar. Others, like August Derleth, the author of more than 100 books that Mr. King must have devoured as a boy and a seminal figure in the creation of Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos horror genre, are so far out of the mainstream that they can prompt long, dreamy voyages of discovery.

By all means look up Robert Bloch or Derleth if you’d like to have more insight into what shaped Mr. King’s young imagination. But don’t do it until his new book, tenderly realistic despite its roots in horror and science fiction, has had its way with you. And steer clear of the ageless 1890 short novel that Mr. King says inspired “Revival” if you don’t want to kill its chances of scaring the hell out of you.

Mr. King has the wind at his back again. He hit the doldrums with “Doctor Sleep” (2013), his sequel to “The Shining.” And “Duma Key” (2008) seemed to have more to do with his spending time in the part of Florida the book describes than with any burning need to tell a story. But the trifecta of “Joyland” (2013), “Mr. Mercedes” and now “Revival,” the best of the bunch, finds him writing with the infectious glee that has always been at the heart of his popular success. How many writers have a biography that can begin something like this: “Stephen King is the author of more than 50 books, all of them worldwide best sellers.”?

Happily, he no longer confuses big books with long ones. He does not ramble on, as he did with “Dreamcatcher” and “Duma Key,” which at 600-plus pages each both seemed endless. “Under the Dome,” his best behemoth of recent years, might have been 1,074 pages, but each one was worth it. “Revival” is much shorter, but it, too, is a well-built book that unfolds on a big canvas. It spans much of the lifetime of Jamie Morton, a Maine boy who is roughly Mr. King’s contemporary. It has a small cast of characters and a length to suit that. The book begins by comparing a person’s life to a movie, so that the leading characters are family and friends; supporting players are neighbors and acquaintances; bit players are walk-ons. But there are also wild cards. And they break all the rules.

“Revival” begins so benignly that Mr. King must warn the reader to watch out for Jamie’s perpetual nemesis, a kindly clergyman calling himself the Rev. Charles Jacobs. The year is 1962. Jamie is 6, playing with soldier toys during the Cuban Missile Crisis, when the Reverend stops by to introduce himself. He invites Jamie’s family to attend his Methodist church and also has Jamie visit his garage to see the toys he has been inventing. The Reverend loves electricity. Using a photoelectric cell, he’s built a model of what he calls Peaceable Lake and a miniature Jesus who can walk on water.

Jamie is smitten; so is the Reverend, who is madly in love with his beautiful wife and little son. But three years later there is trouble in paradise: the Reverend’s experiments have taken a turn toward miracle cures, and he dares to suggest that electricity is more powerful than God. The Mortons adore him for having restored the voice of Jamie’s older brother after a terrible accident involving a ski pole — but nobody knows exactly what happens over the long run to people cured by the Reverend after he has run electrical currents through them. And then, the worst possible bolt from the blue: A terrible accident takes the Reverend’s wife and child from him and turns him into a different man.

Raging and heartbroken, he gives a blasphemous but honest sermon that shakes the faith of all who hear it. And then he vanishes. Years go by; Jamie becomes a teenager in love, a rock musician and a drug addict. In a section of the book that seems written from intact and swooningly romantic memory, Mr. King summons the sensations of first sexual lightning that will never leave the heart and soul. Charles Jacobs is gone, and yet weirdly present, since Jamie and his teenage lover meet for trysts on the mountaintop most likely to be hit by electrical storms.

In the 1990s, their paths cross when Jacobs crops up in Tulsa with a new name, Dan Jacobs, new cynicism and new occupation: flimflam man at state fairs. He cons audiences with electricity-based magic tricks, and he’s figured out that this is a good way to continue his scientific experiments. Since Jamie is by now a raging addict and Dan is able to cure him, Jamie is forever in the debt of someone he knows to be a man of bad faith. Jamie, like Mr. King (as he has said in recent interviews), wants to believe in a higher power, especially as an ex-addict who could not conquer drugs without that higher power’s help.

It all gets worse. Jacobs’s next incarnation is that of a tent-show preacher doling out miracle cures — and soaking the gullible for so much money that he has become a very rich and creepy recluse. The only person in the world about whom he seems to care is Jamie, and he weaves an elaborate spider’s web to draw Jamie back into his world. The last part of the book moves from the raw emotion about family, love, aging and lost opportunity — all of it written with unusual candor, even for Mr. King — to the horror legacy of those names to whom the book is dedicated. And if you have read this far, you may as well know that Arthur Machen’s short novel “The Great God Pan,” which Mr. King says “has haunted me all my life,” inspires a nightmare of a finale.

“Revival” winds up with the idea that to be human, you must know what it is to be inhuman — and to know that only this thin partition separates that horror from ordinary life. So it’s not just a book that delivers its share of jolts and then lets the reader walk away unscathed. Older and wiser each time he writes, Mr. King has moved on from the physical fear that haunted him after he was struck by a van while out walking to a more metaphysical, universal terror. He writes about things so inevitable that he speaks to us all.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cordial Jim View Post
    .... What other stories has Harlow appeared in?? I can only think of one: Riding the Bullet.
    Rage
    The Body
    Nona
    Uncle Otto's Truck

The Dark Half
    Gerald's Game

Bag Of Bones
    Blaze
    Under The Dome (mentioned previously)

It was nice to see Jerusalem's Lot make a cameo and I thoroughly enjoyed SK's reference to my favorite band, Slade, when describing the Chrome Roses sound during their gig at the Gates High gymnasium.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Y'all recognize Nederland, CO, too, right?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

http://www.cleveland.com/books/index...l#incart_river

Laura DeMarco, The Plain Dealer By Laura DeMarco, The Plain Dealer
    Email the author
    on November 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM, updated November 13, 2014 at 3:58 PM

stephenking-revival.jpgRevival, by Stephen King (Scribner, 416 pp., $30), is out Tuesday, November 11. Scribner

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The title of Stephen King's latest book is prophetic -- in more ways than one.

All of the elements that have made King the preeminent American horror author come alive in this ultra-creepy tale of love, loss, evil and electricity. This time, as the title implies, it's evil of a particularly New England, biblical style.

Unlike the hardboiled noir "Mr. Mercedes" (released this summer) or last year's coming-of-age tale "Joyland" and "The Shining" sequel "Doctor Sleep," "Revival" (Scribner, 416 pp., $30) is a return to classic form for the prolific writer. It's set in his home turf of New England, whose small towns and Puritanical characters he knows so well. And it focuses on two very King-like characters, a young, impressionable boy, who grows to middle age as the story progresses, and an older, presumably wiser teacher.

Jamie Morton and the Rev. Charles Jacobs meet one average 1960s Maine day as the chilling tale begins. Jamie's a 6-year-old playing in the dirt with soldiers, Jacobs is an enthusiastic 20-something minister who soon awakens the sleepy town with his electrifying sermons and charismatic way with kids. Their meeting is imbued with ominousness, as the saintly Reverend seems to block out the very sun.

"All of a sudden there were no kids yelling in the backyard, no records playing upstairs, no banging from the garage. Not a single bird singing," writes King.

The people love the minister, especially when he's able to use his gift with electricity for some inexplicable healings that seem almost like miracles.

But one day, Jacobs' sermon goes too far – way too far. Following a horrific tragedy, the Reverend has a crisis of faith and lashes out at the town, the kids and mostly, God. It's hard to not have sympathy for Jacobs – many would feel the same, considering what happened. But the town is shocked, and he's sent packing. He'll never be able to go home again, it seems, a fate that also later befalls Jamie – a common King motif.

It will be many years, what seems like a lifetime, until Jamie and Jacobs meet again. Jamie grows up, becomes a rock star – in a neat nod to King's pop culture passion – and develops some bad rock star habits. He's in a very bad place when he runs into Jacobs again – down and out, dumped by his band at the Tulsa State Fair. The former Reverend is also there – with a traveling carny act in which he uses electricity for large-scale illusions.

But Jacobs' lifelong love of garage electrical experiments has led him to think he can do more. He promises Jamie he can heal him with his homemade gadgets, and he does – with some unintended consequences that Jamie finds out about later. Again, shades of King's classic past are revived in the carny milieu and the crossing over into the supernatural – as are themes of childhood innocence destroyed, faith and doubt.

Jamie is soon recovered and back on track with a music-producing career, but those fateful Tulsa events haunt him – physically and psychically.

He's not the only one. As Jacobs eventually transforms his carny act into a faith-healing ministry, he leaves a trail of damaged, haunted walking dead. Jamie, who's known him since he was an innocent child following a God-fearing minister, feels compelled to try to stop Jacobs' "revivals." Whether or not he can do so with his life and soul intact is the final question in King's riveting book of dread, hope and horror.
    John

Colorado Kid's home town!

Along the Path of the Beam coderedx is on a distinguished road

I just finished. I must admit: I was not that impressed by the book. It might be my least favorite King book I've read.

As The Guardian's review said, the book might have the best opening Stephen King has ever written. I was enamored for the first 50-60 pages. But things fell off quickly, and the story became rambling. The end was billed as "the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written," but that isn't even close to true. I found the ending absurd, not terrifying. The end seemed very Dan Brown (a name that was even mentioned in the story).
    For Sale:
    Shivers I, III, and VII - $50 for All 3 - Numbers I and III are signed by some of the authors.

Wanted:
    Full Dark, No Stars Gift Edition
    Centipede Press Salem's Lot Gift Edition

Country
    Country Flag

I'd rank it somewhere between 20th to 25th. I liked the book more before it became a corny Lovecraft riff at the end.

Here's my spoiler-free review: Revival

4/5

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I'm a 100 pages in and I was really excited Steve could actually write a way for someone to die without it being alcohol being related.....wah wahhh....20 pages later that is a no.
    I'll have to send him some ideas.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Since we're discussing spoilers...

Overall I thought it was a good novel. I thought the beginning with Jamie as a kid with Charles was particularly strong.

I do think it was a pretty slow novel after that. Not bad, but kind of like "Where are we going with this?" I kind of expected some sort of Frankenstein resurrection and I would have established at least the idea of "what's on the other side" earlier on. If they had been building up to that as opposed to introducing it near the end I think it could have been a bit more suspenseful.

I did find the ending with the afterlife being some sort of Lovecraftian hell to be very effective though and it's been on my mind for a while now. Not wanting to get into a debate on religion, but Bryant Brunette wrote on his blog that the novel reads like it was written by someone who doesn't believe in God and that's the impression I'd have gotten if I hadn't known that King does believe in him. Very nihilistic.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

This book makes me wonder what King's daughter (a minister) thinks of it.

John

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finished this one and it is a bit of a dud. The first half of the book is decent but the ending feels rushed and contrived. I give it a C-. The third disappointing book in a row. King's strength has always been in character development and story. Both fail him miserably in this book. There are a few passages in the book that are wonderfully written but the story is uneven and forced. And then it suffers from the ultimate King shortcoming with a disappointing end.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Finished this one and it is a bit of a dud. The first half of the book is decent but the ending feels rushed and contrived. I give it a C-. The third disappointing book in a row. King's strength has always been in character development and story. Both fail him miserably in this book. There are a few passages in the book that are wonderfully written but the story is uneven and forced. And then it suffers from the ultimate King shortcoming with a disappointing end.
    I have to say I was pretty disappointed and even plain out confused at all that crap at the end.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Probably one of my least favorite endings to a king novel ever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast