Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: zelig

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice and I love the US and UK side by side like that!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

There are also a couple of US Rose Madder DJ variants, although I think they're all proof DJs with blank inner DJ flaps so I don't know if you want to count those. I have one of them (the most 'common' one), Bob has a couple of other variations. And there's a UK From a Buick 8 variant that has the same cover art as the proof. Bob owns a copy and I know a UK-based collector who has one but have never heard of another copy. And there is a UK Lisey's Story variant that looks completely different (also a proof DJ I guess).

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I also like the look of the US and UK trades and I'm sort of sad that I let go of my complete collection of UK 1sts, but at least I still own copies of the Big Five plus Dead Zone and Danse Macabre!

Is your copy of the UK 'Salem's Lot price-clipped? I'm not sure why but most of them seem to be.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry to turn your collection thread into a variant DJ thread but I just found a variant DJ for The Dark Half UK in my collection. You have to look very close to see the differences. The Whole DJ is printed slightly lighter and there is more detail visible as a result on the front of the cover. The main difference is the second line of the first paragraph of the blurb being slightly different. The Proof DJ is the one on the left.
    Last edited by jonp; 02-03-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    There are also a couple of US Rose Madder DJ variants, although I think they're all proof DJs with blank inner DJ flaps so I don't know if you want to count those. I have one of them (the most 'common' one), Bob has a couple of other variations. And there's a UK From a Buick 8 variant that has the same cover art as the proof. Bob owns a copy and I know a UK-based collector who has one but have never heard of another copy. And there is a UK Lisey's Story variant that looks completely different (also a proof DJ I guess).
    I think the original UK DJ that was used on the proof is miles better looking than the eventual 1st DJ. Never seen the alternate Lisey's Story.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I think the original UK DJ that was used on the proof is miles better looking than the eventual 1st DJ. Never seen the alternate Lisey's Story.
    Michaël thanks for reminding me of the FAB8 UK cover variant. I did know about that one and forgot. I didn't know about different US Rose Madder covers or the UK Lisey's Story. If you want, post a picture here of the Rose Madder one you have, I don't mind.

You can go nuts with all these variants. I'm kind of okay with what I have right now and possibly acquiring the other ones that aren't super rare over time.

For reference, here is the FAB8 'proof' style cover.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I also like the look of the US and UK trades and I'm sort of sad that I let go of my complete collection of UK 1sts, but at least I still own copies of the Big Five plus Dead Zone and Danse Macabre!

Is your copy of the UK 'Salem's Lot price-clipped? I'm not sure why but most of them seem to be.
    I hear you... I guess we all have some sort of regret over selling books in years past. It's part of being a collector I suppose.

To answer your question, I checked my copy of the UK 'Salem's Lot and the jacket is not price clipped. Here's a quick shot of it. When I get to post about that edition specifically I'll add more pics.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry to turn your collection thread into a variant DJ thread but I just found a variant DJ for The Dark Half UK in my collection. You have to look very close to see the differences. The Whole DJ is printed slightly lighter and there is more detail visible as a result on the front of the cover. The main difference is the first line of the first paragraph of the blurb being slightly different. The Proof DJ is the one on the left.
    No worries, it's totally fine... makes for an interesting discussion... I didn't know about any variant jackets for UK Dark Half... if you hadn't pointed this out, I would never have noticed. In fact, I'm looking real hard at the two and can't see much of a difference. I guess it's very subtle like you say... are you sure this is a variant and not just a normal difference in printing the jackets? Maybe it's just hard to see in the photographs...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The first sentence on the proof says 'Pulitzer Prize' but not on the 1st DJ.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Duh... can't believe I missed that. I was just looking at the first line... Okay, nice one... never knew about this variant... It's crazy how many variations are out there.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Duh... can't believe I missed that. I was just looking at the first line... Okay, nice one... never knew about this variant... It's crazy how many variations are out there.
    With differences this subtle I bet there are ones we don't know about.

Country
    Country Flag

Re: Rose Madder - we discussed those in Jon's collection thread a little while ago and I looked up the original posts by Bob (who else?). You can check the different states in this post and the one directly below it: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post345966sake here are the c

*edit: and for completeness' sake here are the proof (?) DJs for UK Lisey's Story and On Writing (which I forgot existed):

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...oof#post626492

From John's collection thread.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a picture of the unused UK Lisey's Story dust jacket:

John

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Michaël and John for sharing that information... Amazing how there's something new to learn all the time...

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Eyes of the Dragon

This is the one that started it all for me... The first Stephen King book I bought, back when it was released in 1987. It's the UK edition because in South Africa, where I'm from originally, we'd get the UK editions.

Not knowing what I was doing, I covered it in plastic and stuck it down on the inside with tape. Although the tape was on the plastic, the resin still marked the inside as you can see here:

Although I've since acquired another copy, this particular one has the most sentimental value for me, because it's the actual book I purchased, and it's what ignited my interest in collecting and reading King.

It was also the catalyst for a chain of events that ended in me opening a specialty bookstore selling SF, fantasy, horror and comic books. It was the best time of my life, and I often wonder if things would have turned out that way had I not walked into a bookstore and discovered this book. Hard to believe that was all over 25 years ago now.

I've always had this dream of getting a personalized inscription and signature in this book, but that hasn't happened yet!

Earlier this year, I figured I ought to give the book some special treatment, so I had this custom Dolso case made.

That's all for now!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice stuff man...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful - Nice to see a UK book getting some Dolso love...
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

That is just great!

Which part of SA are you from? I was lucky enough to travel there for a bit in 2011, although we spent most of our time in Namibia.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

That is just great!

Which part of SA are you from? I was lucky enough to travel there for a bit in 2011, although we spent most of our time in Namibia.
    Thanks guys... Michaël, I'm from Johannesburg. Great to hear you traveled around there!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Carrie

Next up I'll spotlight the 1st editions of Carrie, and throw in a quick little background story for each.

UK edition first:

So this edition I bought many years ago from a 2nd hand book dealer back in South Africa. I don't think I paid more than about $30 at the time.

It's in decent shape but has the previous owners name written inside, and some tape marks to the inside boards. Otherwise, the jacket and book are in pretty good condition (in the words of an amateur book grader!)

US Edition:

This one is in really great shape. You can't even open it fully because the binding is so tight. It's clear that it was never read.

This was around the late 80s, and back then, there were no specialty dealers where I lived so I had to find some in the USA. I don't even remember how I found them, but one was Roy A. Squires, from whom I bought this edition. I'm sure some of you must remember him? I found this information online.

Surprisingly I kept the original catalog listing the Carrie which I bought, and I've added images below. It was $250 at the time, and that was a mountain of cash for me back then. I think my parents helped me out with it.

Original Catalog Listing

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Beautiful - Nice to see a UK book getting some Dolso love...
    Ditto!! And that is one smart case!! Always loved that cover.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Love the Carries man!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent books and case. Love it. I also enjoy seeing the old catalog.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice Carries !!!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Carrie Paperbacks

Thanks for the comments guys...

As a quick follow up to the Carrie 1sts, here's some earlier paperback editions.

Basically 1st US, 1st UK, 2 US movie tie-in editions, and the UK movie tie-in I believe.

And one quick trip down memory lane again. I had acquired a bunch of the early 1st paperback editions (Carrie included) from Craig Goden's Time Tunnel. I'm sure those who have been around collecting for a while will remember him. He was always so courteous to me and seemed like a great guy. This was in the early 90s.

This is the only catalog I still have:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast