Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How do you define a complete collection of 1st editions?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • All US 1st editions that were printed in Hardback

7 13.46%
  • All UK 1st editions that were printed in Hardback

0 0%
  • Both US and UK 1st editions that were printed in Hardback

2 3.85%
  • All US 1st editions that were printed in Hardback plus US Bachman PB's

24 46.15%
  • All UK 1st editions that were printed in Hardback plus UK Bachman PB's

1 1.92%
  • Both US and UK 1st editions that were printed in Hardback plus US and UK Bachman PB's

4 7.69%
  • Everything that is listed on TDT first edition catalogue page

6 11.54%
  • All the Hardbacks, all the softcover releases and all the Omnibus editions.

4 7.69%
  • other (please specify)

4 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you define your COMPLETE collection of 1sts?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default How do you define your COMPLETE collection of 1sts?

Another quick straw poll...

The P & J thread has had some conversations recently about what members need to 'complete' their collection of 1st editions, but 'complete' means different things to different people. What does it mean to you?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

As this site is called, The Dark Tower, my complete collection of firsts is:

All Grant "The Dark Tower First Trade Editions".
    All UK (Sphere & H&S) "The Dark Tower First Trade Editions".

I also have US and UK "The Dark Tower" Signed/Limited and Artist Editions". But I don't count them.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I voted "All the Hardbacks, all the softcover releases and all the Omnibus editions", which I interpret as being the 1st/1st trade editions for any given title, not as "every state of every book". This option allows for inclusion of the UK 1st printings of DTI-DTIV, for example. It does not include any mass-market paperbacks other than the Bachman ones.

Note: I consider the unsigned LOE Cycle of the Werewolf hardcover edition and the Gunslinger 1st edition to be trade editions. How do people feel about this? I know a 7,500 or 10,000 copy print run is small, but is it really that much smaller than the print runs of the other early King titles? The main difference with other trade editions is the amount of exposure/publicity generated by the publisher, IMO.

Up for debate: does a complete collection of 1st editions need to include the hardcover editions of The Breathing Method (UK) and Shawshank Redemption (US)?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I voted "All the Hardbacks, all the softcover releases and all the Omnibus editions", which I interpret as being the 1st/1st trade editions for any given title, not as "every state of every book". This option allows for inclusion of the UK 1st printings of DTI-DTIV, for example. It does not include any mass-market paperbacks other than the Bachman ones.

Note: I consider the unsigned LOE Cycle of the Werewolf hardcover edition and the Gunslinger 1st edition to be trade editions. How do people feel about this? I know a 7,500 or 10,000 copy print run is small, but is it really that much smaller than the print runs of the other early King titles? The main difference with other trade editions is the amount of exposure/publicity generated by the publisher, IMO.

Up for debate: does a complete collection of 1st editions need to include the hardcover editions of The Breathing Method (UK) and Shawshank Redemption (US)?
    1. This was my intention
    2. This is (I believe) covered by TDT.Org's Catalogue page
    3. Personally I would say not - I would consider my 1st's complete without these, but would still happily try to obtain them
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a collector per se, so I'm Option 1 all the way. To me my collection is complete when I have every King title in its first US hardcover edition. Only missing Cycle of the Werewolf now.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

all US first editions, first printings whether they were issued in hardback and/or paperback. Ie Bachman books and Colorado Kid and Joyland (i could be mistaken on Colorado kid, but i thought it was issued as a paperback first).

UK, proofs, first appearance, paperback first editions are just the icing on the cake.

S/L or more icing.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

First edition books?

First published edition?

First US edition?

First UK edition?

First trade edition?

First hardback edition?

The first published book is the true first edition regardless of binding, country of origin, limitation, etc..

I collect the true first edition, the US first trade edition, the UK first trade edition if an English author (or first published in UK), the first hardback edition, and if there is no hardback the first Turtleback edition.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    First edition books?
    First published edition?
    First US edition?
    First UK edition?
    First trade edition?
    First hardback edition?

The first published book is the true first edition regardless of binding, country of origin, limitation, etc..

I collect the true first edition, the US first trade edition, the UK first trade edition if an English author (or first published in UK), the first hardback edition, and if there is no hardback the first Turtleback edition.
    You forgot something. Some members on here try to claim that some non-English editions were the true 1st published edition. They may have been published first, but are they the "True Firsts?"

Discuss.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    First edition books?
    First published edition?
    First US edition?
    First UK edition?
    First trade edition?
    First hardback edition?

You forgot something. Some members on here try to claim that some non-English editions were the true 1st published edition. They may have been published first, but are they the "True Firsts?"

Discuss.
    Only if King wrote the original manuscript in the non-English language of the country(ies) where the 1st published book was sold.

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All US 1st editions that were printed in Hardback plus US Bachman PB's + Joyland
    Or just

All US 1st editions

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post
    All US 1st editions that were printed in Hardback plus US Bachman PB's + Joyland
    Or just

All US 1st editions
    The Colorado Kid was also first published as a paperback by Hard Case Crime. The Green Mile also was first published as six paperbacks in both the US and the UK.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The Colorado Kid was also first published as a paperback by Hard Case Crime.
    Be careful, John. You might be accused of being a dick if you bring that up.

Country
    Country Flag

The Man With a Belly
    UR...

oh forget it. I will be here all night.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Haha made me chuckle, Bob.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    First edition books?
    First published edition?
    First US edition?
    First UK edition?
    First trade edition?
    First hardback edition?

Discuss.
    Only if King wrote the original manuscript in the non-English language of the country(ies) where the 1st published book was sold.
    How so? If a book X that comes out in Moldavia precedes every other edition, than for better or for worse, that is the true first. I only collect US editions so this is a non-issue to me, but wherever the book comes out first is a true first.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I think I can handle that!

John

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    First edition books?
    First published edition?
    First US edition?
    First UK edition?
    First trade edition?
    First hardback edition?

Discuss.
    How so? If a book X that comes out in Moldavia precedes every other edition, than for better or for worse, that is the true first. I only collect US editions so this is a non-issue to me, but wherever the book comes out first is a true first.
    If that statement is TRUE. Then these are the TRUE 1st EDITIONS of IT.

I bought these in Germany July 20 1986.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have two methods...

method 1
    If it came out in hardback first... all these in UK and US...
    if it came out in paperback first...those plus the hardback 1st release
    (this would include the bachman paperbacks plus the bachman hardback collection and any other paperbacks as such)
    also... if it came out in a different country before the US first (first world edition) I have to include that edition.

method 2:
    all the above... plus the first printings of any short stories in magazine or other format... including omnibuses and stories in collections.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess, in my mind... I actually have four seperate first edition collections -
    US firsts (currently completed)
    UK firsts (currently completed)
    world first (I believe to be completed)
    short story first prints (not complete, but probably 75+% there... need the garbage truck series, the other drum, and some odds and ends)

when talking about 1st editions....I only consider the stories... not interviews , or movie reviews... those are a totally different category.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

don't forget storm of the century paperback and the others mentioned already.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

IMHO The answer is YES.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't consider paperbacks collectible. Not even the Bachmans. Paperbacks are awful books. I collect only hardcovers so for me I only need The Bachman Books, the 2000 edition of The Gree Mile, the BOMC edition of Storm of the Century, and so on.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Then you're very lucky to be living in the US - here in the Netherlands most books (especially popular fiction) are only released in trade paperback format. If there is a hardcover edition it usually has printed boards instead of a dust jacket. I hate Dutch books. I don't hate paperbacks though - we have shelves full of mass-market US/UK paperbacks at home that are perfect for taking with us when we go camping. Cheap, lightweight, they don't need to stay in collectible condition and most importantly, they contain the stories - and when I'm away from home that's all I care about.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post

IMHO The answer is YES.
    so, with regard to these two books... What is preventing these from being added to the Catalog 1st edition page? Is it just a case of no-one has got round to it, or should we agree as a community what is regarded as being a 'first edition' of a book/story? I love the catalog (look I even use the US spelling ) and it contains a vast wealth of information for new collectors and visitors (and sometimes a surprise for those who have been collecting for a while..) and I believe it should be the 'defacto' list for any King collector.

I might include these 2 books as not many people are aware of them (The only pictures I have seen are from Bruce), but they are Large print books and that seems to be a different category all together. I wouldn't include 'ES' but I would include it (no pun intended) if we had a separate list of "World 1st editions" however. I also wouldn't include Omnibus editions either (or rather I would include All or None), but thats just me.

How was the original list decided? or did it just grow over time?

Country
    Country Flag

I guess the reason is that they're not true 1st printings of the stories and generally only of interest to completists. They're pretty scarce and most of them ended up in libraries. If you find copies that are not ex-lib they're worth a pretty penny! I bought and sold a perfect copy of The Breathing Method for $300! Haven't seen one for sale ever since. I own a couple of ex-lib copies of Shawshank but haven't seen perfect copies other than those of Bob and Bruce.

For me personally, a reason to put them in the Catalog would be that they are hard-to-find standalone hardcover editions of short stories. I don't think there are any other comparable editions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast