Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How do you define a complete collection of 1st editions?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • All US 1st editions that were printed in Hardback

7 13.46%
  • All UK 1st editions that were printed in Hardback

0 0%
  • Both US and UK 1st editions that were printed in Hardback

2 3.85%
  • All US 1st editions that were printed in Hardback plus US Bachman PB's

24 46.15%
  • All UK 1st editions that were printed in Hardback plus UK Bachman PB's

1 1.92%
  • Both US and UK 1st editions that were printed in Hardback plus US and UK Bachman PB's

4 7.69%
  • Everything that is listed on TDT first edition catalogue page

6 11.54%
  • All the Hardbacks, all the softcover releases and all the Omnibus editions.

4 7.69%
  • other (please specify)

4 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you define your COMPLETE collection of 1sts?

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I don't consider paperbacks collectible. Not even the Bachmans. Paperbacks are awful books. I collect only hardcovers so for me I only need The Bachman Books, the 2000 edition of The Gree Mile, the BOMC edition of Storm of the Century, and so on.
    Then why do you use paperback cover art as your avatar?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

How was the original list decided? or did it just grow over time?
    It grew over time. Obviously the new stuff didn't exist when the Catalog was started 7 years ago.
    Primarily the decisions were mine as I created and or supplied verbiage and pics for more than 90% of the US 1st edition articles, as well as most all of the S/L articles.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

How was the original list decided? or did it just grow over time?
    It grew over time. Obviously the new stuff didn't exist when the Catalog was started 7 years ago.
    Primarily the decisions were mine as I created and or supplied verbiage and pics for more than 90% of the US 1st edition articles, as well as most all of the S/L articles.
    And a pretty amazing job you did too, J.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't consider paperbacks collectible. Not even the Bachmans. Paperbacks are awful books. I collect only hardcovers so for me I only need The Bachman Books, the 2000 edition of The Gree Mile, the BOMC edition of Storm of the Century, and so on.
    A man after my own heart!! I won't collect PB's either. I started my collection with the single goal of collecting all US and UK first editions in HC. I took a brief flyer on "Proofs", but quickly ditched that effort. Presently, I go after US/UK HC editions of all new books and the occasional "Upgrade" to a signed or S/L copy of books I already have. I think I am up to around 40 or so signed/S/L copies with "Revival on the horizon. As an off shoot to my HF activities I developed an affinity for "Remarques" in my 1/1. I lost count of how many of those I have.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The Colorado Kid was also first published as a paperback by Hard Case Crime.
    Be careful, John. You might be accused of being a dick if you bring that up.
    ;D but he is right - first is first

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Then why do you use paperback cover art as your avatar?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.
    Because it's a badass image. Would've been my favorite cover had they used it on the first edition hardcover of Night Shift. But I never owned that paperback.

[QUOTE=Priest;880514]
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The Colorado Kid was also first published as a paperback by Hard Case Crime.
    Be careful, John. You might be accused of being a dick if you bring that up.
    ;D but he is right - first is first
    LIKE THE MAN SAID "FIRST IS FIRST"

Spoiler:
    A PAPERBACK BOOK JUST LIKE THIS 1st EDITION.

SO IF YOU DON'T COLLECT PAPERBACKS "YOU'R 1st EDITION COLLECTION IS INCOMPLETE!" IMHO

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have both of those in hardcover. I'm good.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    SO IF YOU DON'T COLLECT PAPERBACKS "YOU'R 1st EDITION COLLECTION IS INCOMPLETE!" IMHO
    So, I agree with this. My personal definition for a complete collection of first editions is any book written by SK, in any format, that was printed as a trade edition for the first time. This would include paperbacks for UK DT, paperbacks for Bachman and the PB's for COTW, Green Mile, Creepshow and Umney's Last Case, which matches the Catalogue. I would also however include things that aren't in that list such as 'Battleground', 'The Mist', and 'Silver Bullet'. (should these be added?)

Another interesting one for me is omnibus editions. I have the Heinemann Carrie/'salems/Shining/NightShift book because its listed in the catalogue, but I dont have any of the others. (excpet "Stephen King goes to the movies', which I see as a first edition and not an omnibus as it contains extra material)

where does everyone else sit with omnibus editions?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

WOW Bruce! Are the big black volumes screenplays? are they original or did you print them out?

It also looks like you have a couple of BCE's in there too (UK Carrie for sure) why did those make it on the shelves?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

There is one of every U.S.A. & U.K. 1st edition in my collection (the only ones not seen are U.K. Dance Macabre & Duma Key that have been added after the photo was taken) along with original screenplays (My Pride & Joy is the Signed 1st draft Creepshow)& the only BCE edition you will find are double's of The Cell because of the shoe size on the spine & the Special Book Club Edition of Lisey's Story with slipcase (not shown) & I do own the entire Stephen King Library (also not shown). The small books you see are not BCE the Firestarter & Different Seasons are Taiwanese bootleg editions.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

so what's that UK Carrie? a later printing?

You will find that they are the 1st & 2nd editions. I use to collect movie tie-in books.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The Cannibals are the 2 parts released by King's office?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

YES

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you haven't voted in the poll, please do so. Feel free to comment.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

All 1 st editions 1st printings in first state printing. IE softcover or hardcover. Signed by Stephen King. Currently only missing green mile part 4.

All S/L King books (lettered only if numbered not made)

All first printings of King stories in Magazines. Journals etc

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I too voted All US 1st editions that were printed in Hardback plus US Bachman PB's but add to that The Green Mile Hardback plus paperbacks and The Bachman Books Hardback.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I’m in no way a 1st edition completist, so I’d follow the Catalogue if I went down that collecting route. Therefore it got my vote.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I'm not a completist, but given my U.K. Edition preference, I voted for U.K. 1st hardcovers plus the U.K. Bachman paperbacks. That's what I'd collect if I were trying to complete my 1st edition collection.

Of course, that raises questions about books like The Green Mile and Secret Windows, and any books only published in the US. I guess I would collect the PB 1sts of Green Mile, and get US editions of any books only published in the US.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I too voted All US 1st editions that were printed in Hardback plus US Bachman PB's but add to that The Green Mile Hardback plus paperbacks and The Bachman Books Hardback.
    I also voted the same, but in reality, have bought everything that is listed on TDT first edition catalogue page, but I think there are several things on that list that don't belong. (2nd edition of gunslinger, omnibus etc).

I think additional paperbak editions that should be included are : green mile, storm of the century, creepshow, colorado kid, joyland, umneys last case.

Some that I wonder should be included are:

Ghost Brothers of Darkland County (edition that includes the screenplay, lean to yes)
    Nightmares in the Sky (lean to no)
    Green Mile HC (I consider it a reprint, lean to no)
    Charlie the Choo-Choo (I lean to no, since it is a reprint of short section from DT IV)
    Salem's Lot Illustrated Edition (lean to no)
    Joyland Illustrated Edition (lean to no)
    The Gunslinger Revised (lean to yes)
    Battleground (really confused on this one, lean to no)

Having said that, I do have all of the above.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I screwed up my answer, I checked choice one instead of four but that's not really right anyway.

My choice would be the follow the flag concept except if the true 1st. is done in another country.
    And.. although I personally don't collect small issue pbacks (see exception below) like the bachmans, they should be part of "The complete firsts".
    (I do collect just a few of the soft cover proofs)

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I define MY list of firsts by:

a. Inscribed by "Steve".
    b. Dated on or before publication date.

Makes my collection a bit more rarer than most.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Surprised we haven't heard from, Webstar here. That mofo has something to say about EVERYTHING!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast