Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the most coveted King book?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Stand S/L (Coffin Edition)

15 25.42%
  • IT S/L -Lettered

2 3.39%
  • 'salem's Lot S/L Traycased

6 10.17%
  • Carrie Deluxe 40th Edition - Lettered

0 0%
  • The Eyes of the Dragon S/L

1 1.69%
  • FireStarter Lettered (Asbestos Edition)

20 33.90%
  • The Regulators Lettered (Bullets)

8 13.56%
  • The Regulators S/L (Toy box)

1 1.69%
  • 'salem's Lot Trade (first state DJ)

4 6.78%
  • My Pretty Pony S/L (Stainless Steel with inset Clock)

0 0%
  • The Plant S/L

2 3.39%
  • The Shining Lettered

0 0%
  • Skeleton Crew Lettered

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which is the most coveted King book?

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    it's a little late to change the poll, but I wonder how many people have voted for a book that they don't have (and not for a book that they do have)? I was kinda thinking along the lines of if you had to pick just one or if you had them all, which one would you rate the highest?
    (I appreciate that may be like choosing which one of your kids was your favourite....)

Take the Asbestos Firestarter. If I had that and The Stand next to each other and was told "Pick One, but you can never sell it" - I would not hesitate in picking The Stand.

I was looking at the list and thinking the same thing. I definitely wouldn't choose the Asbestos Firestarter.

If I had to choose just one book it would be either The Stand (super rare LETTERED coffin edition not the S/L).

Or

The Centipede Press deluxe "Owner's copy" of Salem's Lot that Jerad Walters made for himself. It was even more luxurious in design than the regular Roman-Numeraled edition and was strictly the only copy made. See the attached link below...

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ions-for-sale!

For a collection, I would probably think that a complete matching S/L set of The Dark Tower vols. I - VII, numbered #19 and each remarqued by Michael Whelan, would be the most coveted item ever.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voted for Eyes of the Dragon as it's one of my faves and the LE comes with exclusive illustrations not found in the trade.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted The Stand. want want want it! One day. Win the lottery or present to me for my 50 in a few years time.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If the S/L of THE GUNSLINGER were on the list, it would have my vote.

Of those on the list that I do not own, I would choose the Lettered edition of THE REGULATORS.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would say a matching Dark Tower set... This list is incomplete!!! I demand a re-do!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    it's a little late to change the poll, but I wonder how many people have voted for a book that they don't have (and not for a book that they do have)? I was kinda thinking along the lines of if you had to pick just one or if you had them all, which one would you rate the highest?
    (I appreciate that may be like choosing which one of your kids was your favourite....)

Take the Asbestos Firestarter. If I had that and The Stand next to each other and was told "Pick One, but you can never sell it" - I would not hesitate in picking The Stand.

Covet implies something wanted or desired so by definition the poll is asking voters to choose one of the listed items they don't already have.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post

Covet implies something wanted or desired so by definition the poll is asking voters to choose one of the listed items they don't already have.
    That's the way I understood it.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have the oversized s/l of Salem's Lot. I don't have a clue though how I found out about it or ordered it from them. I may have opened it once. Always thought it would be interesting to get real people who are mentioned in a book to sign it. The closest I've come is to get Clint Hill (the secret service agent who climbed into JFKs car via the trunk) and Buell Frazier who drove Oswald to work on the morning of the assassination to sign my copy of 11.22.63.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I find this entire discussion VERY interesting--all the different viewpoints, etc.

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You can make up all the "Hypothetical" situations you want, but the truth is if you can afford the "Firestarter", you probably bought, "The Stand" with your walking around money. Plus, "Firestarter is no slouch indeed. I believe it is extremely comparable to "The Stand" in production values from what I have had the chance to see, but that's just MHO. I may get "booed" for this, but a $20k book as compared to a $2k book? Factoring in the limitation, no comparison. However, that is just this man' opinion in the end and I own neither.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

In terms of "coveting", I don't think I have ever once wished I had a copy of either Firestarter or The Stand S/Ls. Other than for the re-sale value, if you offered to sell me either for $500, I would pass. The King books I spend the most time coveting are:
    1. Little Sisters of Eluria S/L: It's the only Grant "Black Leather Traycase" book that I don't have. Prime Evil, Desperation, and The Crow: Shattered Lives and Broken Dreams are among my favorite books to look at. Back before TWTTK was a twinkle in SK's eye, LSOE was selling around $200, and I wish I had grabbed one then because it doesn't seem like the price is ever going to get back down there.
    2. Plume Gunslinger "Dark Tower" variant ARC: I read about this book on this site, pretty much on my first time here, and then I found it in a random lot on eBay that day. I turned around and sold it for a quick profit, thinking that Stephen King flipping was the easiest way to make money. I have regretted selling that book for almost three years, and I have never seen another one for sale again.
    3. Prime Evil S/L, Bantam Edition: I consider this to be published by Grant even though it says Bantam on the side. I want/need one on my shelf, but I want to spend < $250 for it.
    4. The Grant brochure/catalog advertising the Gunslinger as "the most important small press book ever published" (or something to that extent). Actually, I want all of the Grant brochures, but that one in particular is the one I covet.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Coveting an item, in this case an SK book of rarity and stature, likely comes down to how and why an individual collects. Is it for pleasure? Passion? Investment? The need to own very single item possible? What makes this message board so interesting is the variety of the collectors who share their different perspectives. There are no right answers, just enlightening and informed ones.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

This is turning into an interesting discussion. If we deviate from the selection included in the poll and if we focus on what we covet most for our own collection rather than what we covet most from the poll options, my choice would definitely be a 'Salem's Lot or The Stand Doubleday proof (I can't choose between those two).

But if we stay with the original poll it's still fun to discuss. It seems that some collectors are mostly interested in production values (The Stand, lettered IT) and others are more interested in the 'lore' surrounding the book (lettered Firestarter, The Plant). I'm definitely one of the latter.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    [*]The Grant brochure/catalog advertising the Gunslinger as "the most important small press book ever published" (or something to that extent). Actually, I want all of the Grant brochures, but that one in particular is the one I covet.[/LIST]
    I have quite a few Grant Brochures. I'll have to see if I have that one.

EDIT:
    Found it:

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

$60.00 was the cover price for the S/L GUNSLINGER...? Man, those where the days...

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

60 bucks - those were the days eh?

EDIT: lol - great minds...
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

What an audacious claim! And yet, 30+ years later, it seems to be correct; has there been a more important small-press fantasy book published since then?

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

For me, I would say that the Lettered Regulators is the finest example of a King S/L Edition that could be produced. Even after 18 years, the smell of the leather when the tray case is opened, is like you are walking through a tannery. The feel of the 30-30 cartridges, and the cattle branding on the spine are magnificent. Asbestos Firestarter, albeit a more valuable book to acquire, does not contain the same production materials as Charnel House used. The Numbered Firestarter with Whelan's famous dust jacket, is by far a more beautiful copy. The Lettered edition employs the same text, and with the exception of the boards, there is no difference. However, the smell of the Lettered is unique, and the aluminium wrapping is very soft to the touch (although fingerprints remain). You need to get an acrylic case made for it, as it was issued without any protection, as that way it will allow you to enjoy seeing it.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    For me, I would say that the Lettered Regulators is the finest example of a King S/L Edition that could be produced. Even after 18 years, the smell of the leather when the tray case is opened, is like you are walking through a tannery. The feel of the 30-30 cartridges, and the cattle branding on the spine are magnificent. Asbestos Firestarter, albeit a more valuable book to acquire, does not contain the same production materials as Charnel House used. The Numbered Firestarter with Whelan's famous dust jacket, is by far a more beautiful copy. The Lettered edition employs the same text, and with the exception of the boards, there is no difference. However, the smell of the Lettered is unique, and the aluminium wrapping is very soft to the touch (although fingerprints remain). You need to get an acrylic case made for it, as it was issued without any protection, as that way it will allow you to enjoy seeing it.
    That's an interesting point. I was one of the few who voted for the 1st state 'Salem's jacket, but it kind of makes sense that if you had an opportunity to hold one of the rarer items in your hands, it could sway your decision.

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

A close second for me would be The Stand S/L. The quality of the workmanship on the case, the leather engraving details, gold edging, end-paper designs, and the quality of the paper used for the text, has no equal today. When you compare it to the Tom Gordon Pop-Up book, or any of the new wave of multi-thousand dollar limited's, these 1990s publishers definitely did not overcharge their loyal customers, and gave them real quality books for their hard-earned money.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I might be totally wrong on this, but I thought the "1st State" Salem's Lot dust jackets were folded in the middle. If this is correct, that is quite a flaw.

Maybe the few owners on here can set the record straight.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

All things Stephen King lead to Roland's quest for the dark tower, this is the ultimate journey.

Gunslinger Signed/Limited is "my" choice for "Most Coveted"
    Last edited by Cook; 11-02-2014 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Helping my grandson

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I might be totally wrong on this, but I thought the "1st State" Salem's Lot dust jackets were folded in the middle. If this is correct, that is quite a flaw.

Maybe the few owners on here can set the record straight.
    Yes they were folded, because they could not be stored inside an A4 filing cabinet otherwise. However, the 'flaw' you mention is not that major. All considering, as the past cannot be rewritten, it is better to have them found, than lost, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    A close second for me would be The Stand S/L. The quality of the workmanship on the case, the leather engraving details, gold edging, end-paper designs, and the quality of the paper used for the text, has no equal today. When you compare it to the Tom Gordon Pop-Up book, or any of the new wave of multi-thousand dollar limited's, these 1990s publishers definitely did not overcharge their loyal customers, and gave them real quality books for their hard-earned money.

I would venture to guess that the materials and craftsmanship of Centipede limited 'Salem's Lot are of a similar caliber to The Stand limited. In terms of value 'Salem's Lot 380 copies issued for $450 in 2004 while The Stand 1250 copies went for $325 fourteen years earlier. Given inflation over that time SL was a very good deal. I'm not familiar with the lettered version of The Stand so don't know if the only differentiation is the limitation page. If that is the case the deluxe SL offers much more in a smaller print run.
    I haven't seen the 52 copy lettered Regulators either but I can't imagine the materials used for it are of higher quality than the 25 copy SL roman numeral edition.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What is one of these Salems worth guys... I really have no idea.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast