Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Float

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Float

Just wondering, has it definitely been confirmed that King's short story "The Float" was never published in Adam or Adam Bedside Reader? Do we know for sure that ALL copies of Adam and Adam Bedside Reader (from 1969 or 1970... or even '71 and '72) have been checked? We know that he was paid for it (it helped get him out of jail!), and we know that Adam only paid upon publication.

Should I be keeping an eye out for it at estate and yard sales? Or is it a lost cause? Man, how cool would that be to find that, huh!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's a lost cause. If it hasn't been found by now, I seriously doubt it exists. Finding it would be VERY cool, though.

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

If you're of a mind to, you can search for Adam Magazine and find many of the issues scanned and posted online. As John said, if it hasn't turned up by now I don't think it ever will.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I found this in a 1979 interview (contained in Feast of Fear): He [Doc Lowndes of Startling Mystery Stories] bought a third story called "The Float," which he never ran because the magazines went out of business.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, thanks Bev! I guess that settles it then. From everything that I had read, it seemed like there was a chance it was published but forgotten (since it was so long ago, in a somewhat obscure magazine). I know King has said that he doesn't have a copy (and that he wrote "The Raft" from his memory of it)... I wonder what happened to Doc Lowndes copy? Anyway, thanks again Bev! Now I won't have to be on the lookout for early 70's copies of Adam magazine anymore!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I found this in a 1979 interview (contained in Feast of Fear): He [Doc Lowndes of Startling Mystery Stories] bought a third story called "The Float," which he never ran because the magazines went out of business.
    Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but given that Adam received it in the first place, might this not mean that, at one point, there had to have been a copy in the possession of someone at their offices? Given that we haven't learned of it being found and sold for huge $, it most likely was unknowingly lost or disposed of, but I can't help but wonder (or wish) that even now a copy sits in someone's file cabinet or random banker's box of stuff, waiting for a former editor's grandchild to happen to clean the basement or open the right box. (Maybe we can keep our dream alive).

+ Reply to Thread