Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will the series's ending translate well to film? **SPOILERS**

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    If they do decide to go that route, I wonder how much involvement King would have (if any) on what happens in this theoretical next loop.
    Actually, as far as a film would go, I don't think it would be considered a "next loop" to viewers technically. Yes, those who read the books would know, but if they gave, Roland the "horn" in the beginning I'm thinking they are going for a different ending altogether, no? No more "loops", this is the end.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Giving him the horn opens a world of possibilities.
    LOL! It always does with me!
    Trust a, Brit!! LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If they do decide to go that route, I wonder how much involvement King would have (if any) on what happens in this theoretical next loop.
    Actually, as far as a film would go, I don't think it would be considered a "next loop" to viewers technically. Yes, those who read the books would know, but if they gave, Roland the "horn" in the beginning I'm thinking they are going for a different ending altogether, no? No more "loops", this is the end.
    True no more loops, but a part of me is fairly certain that they'd allude to it one way or another. It depends on how integral the creators feel the loops are to the fabric of Roland's character.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

True no more loops, but a part of me is fairly certain that they'd allude to it one way or another. It depends on how integral the creators feel the loops are to the fabric of Roland's character.
    Yeah, I would agree it needs to be addressed for an accurate rendition.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Xerrand will become famous soon enough Xerrand's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Honestly, I think that a dark tower movie would probably change the ending completely. The idea sickens me, but I kind of get it as well, as I'm not sure that the book ending would translate well to an audience who had never read the books before.....still I would hate it hahaha,

I can see them doing something really cringey like having him meet Susan at the top of the tower or something similar. All the while I would be sat there screaming NOOOO!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*bump

for the newcomers..

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

*bump

for the newcomers..

*come

for the newbumpers...
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Traveler wonderings will become famous soon enough

I think that is what will happen. Books transferred to movies are always dumbed down. The scope of the DT series is MASSIVE. They would need a dozen movies or more to maybe get close to doing the stories justice.

I did read in a magazine about the movie and they said this was not retelling the story we have all read, but starting where the books ended, the next loop and this time Roland has the horn. I am pretty sure they will have things much more clear cut when the end comes, for good or bad. As much as I am looking forward to the movie, I am also dreading it. Stephen King movies are either amazing or terrible, no in-between. I am worried with the massive story that is the DT, they will not do it justice in even the slightest bit. I look forward to being proved wrong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The way I see it, the creative team can do one of two things:

1. Keep the ending as is, but have the Horn of Eld play a much larger role in the film. It will have to be mentioned and referenced often, perhaps to the point of ad nauseam.

2. Change the ending... perhaps the film takes place after "our" loop so that Roland is in possession of the Horn from the very beginning, giving King and the team free reign to go a completely different direction with the film's ending.

The more I think about it, the more I would like to see them go with option number 2. As it stands, I'm not necessarily crazy about the novel's ending (I felt it was a cop out), and this would be a chance to do something different, perhaps something King thought of between the publication of DT VII and now. It would be a very organic change, the nature of the story lends itself to it. Roland has gone through this loop a hundred, a thousand, or a million times -- who says it has to be our loop? Perhaps this time he did everything right and is ultimately rewarded... whatever that might mean.
    Omg, I completely called it

Along the Path of the Beam The Gasherman is on a distinguished road

The characters they have cast are very perplexing. King mentioned the story sort of starting halfway through, but clearly The Gunslinger is a big part. Susan is cast, as well as Sayre, but no Cort, No Vannay, No Stephen, No Pere. It seems we are going to get some desert, some Mejis, some NY. Very odd.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Gasherman View Post
    Susan is cast,
    She is?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Susan is cast,
    She is?
    Supposedly.

Looks to be pretty good casting

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2661400/?ref_=tt_cl_t10

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Susan is cast,
    She is?

Yes...Courtney Love!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Seems like it would be difficult to address the loop since Roland is completely unaware. I was thinking it would be cool to start the movie at the final ascent, but that isn't going to happen.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

An overwhelming percentage of people who will watch this movie have no idea about the loop (let's face it, we book readers will be in the minority), so I would think the studio wants to keep the loop plot twist under wraps for as long as possible.

Traveler wonderings will become famous soon enough

An overwhelming percentage of people who will watch this movie have no idea about the loop (let's face it, we book readers will be in the minority), so I would think the studio wants to keep the loop plot twist under wraps for as long as possible.
    Or will they even bother throwing it in? Studios seem to like dumbing down stories that do not need alteration. I get needing to leave things out and fine tune a story so it works in the few hours you have, but rarely if ever is that done. Constantly changing characters, adding characters, adding romance, etc etc. The Hobbit was a perfect example of that, same with the Narnia movies.

Gunslinger Apprentice Xerrand will become famous soon enough Xerrand's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Like it or not, a Dark Tower film hitting the silver screen is only a matter of time.

I've been thinking a lot about the things that will have to be modified, edited, added or subtracted to the film; the one element that sticks out most prominently in my mind is the ending.

Roland being stuck in a loop was very heavily hinted at throughout the story - Ka, time is a wheel etc. - and a large part of that was conveyed through exposition and third person narration. We knew of the significance of the horn of Eld because Roland thought of it often, which means that by proxy we did too.

Movie audiences will have no such asset. Imagine this scenario - the final portion of the final film is being played out in the movie theater, we see Roland get sucked backed into the desert and reaching for, perhaps caressing the Horn of Eld, mayhap he mutters something to himself... and the film ends. Chaos ensues in the movie theaters.

1. Keep the ending as is, but have the Horn of Eld play a much larger role in the film. It will have to be mentioned and referenced often, perhaps to the point of ad nauseam.

2. Change the ending... perhaps the film takes place after "our" loop so that Roland is in possession of the Horn from the very beginning, giving King and the team free reign to go a completely different direction with the film's ending.

The more I think about it, the more I would like to see them go with option number 2. As it stands, I'm not necessarily crazy about the novel's ending (I felt it was a cop out), and this would be a chance to do something different, perhaps something King thought of between the publication of DT VII and now. It would be a very organic change, the nature of the story lends itself to it. Roland has gone through this loop a hundred, a thousand, or a million times -- who says it has to be our loop? Perhaps this time he did everything right and is ultimately rewarded... whatever that might mean.

What does everyone think?
    None of that will be in the first movie anyway - it focuses only on the first book, with a lot of changed parts that are purely invented for the movie. If the movie is successful and they decide to continue on with it as a series then who really knows? It's already been established that the movie is set after the final book, with Roland having the horn of eld at he beginning of the movie.

So really they could change the ending any which way they choose with that in mind.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Xerrand View Post
    Like it or not, a Dark Tower film hitting the silver screen is only a matter of time.

I've been thinking a lot about the things that will have to be modified, edited, added or subtracted to the film; the one element that sticks out most prominently in my mind is the ending.

Roland being stuck in a loop was very heavily hinted at throughout the story - Ka, time is a wheel etc. - and a large part of that was conveyed through exposition and third person narration. We knew of the significance of the horn of Eld because Roland thought of it often, which means that by proxy we did too.

Movie audiences will have no such asset. Imagine this scenario - the final portion of the final film is being played out in the movie theater, we see Roland get sucked backed into the desert and reaching for, perhaps caressing the Horn of Eld, mayhap he mutters something to himself... and the film ends. Chaos ensues in the movie theaters.

What does everyone think?

None of that will be in the first movie anyway - it focuses only on the first book, with a lot of changed parts that are purely invented for the movie. If the movie is successful and they decide to continue on with it as a series then who really knows? It's already been established that the movie is set after the final book, with Roland having the horn of eld at he beginning of the movie.

So really they could change the ending any which way they choose with that in mind.

Yeah, Roland opens the door at the top of the tower and sees a bright glob of light, which says in an ethereal voice. "The answer to life the universe and everything, my son is 42" lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Having read the series from when it was first published (in trade paperback that is) and having to wait for years between books, it took me quite awhile to come to terms with the loop ending and appreciate it. My son who is 15 just binge read the whole series and came away loving the ending immediately. When I talked to him about the horn of eld being in the movie and this being a different loop he hated the idea even though I think it's a clever way to keep the book people pleased and make needed changes for a film translation. But the reason he hates it is because he knows they will write and ending to it and what he loved do much about the loop is that there isn't any other ending you can give a series like this. He is worried that the writers will write an ending he hates vs the open ended version that the books gave us. I am starting to think he might be right.

Traveler otherjr1 will become famous soon enough

I thoroughly doubt the makers are expecting to follow the books closely at all. Seven movies? I doubt it. That's why they have Susan already cast and used in this first one. What we're going to have is a kind of DT revue. They're going to take little bits and jam them together into something barely recognisable. If you think you're going to get anything close to the books, think again.

John F. Kennedy BrandoRex will become famous soon enough BrandoRex's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

***SPOILERS ALL***

If you haven't already seen it:

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/the-dar...ld-f-ck-yes/2/

I was a bit disappointed that Scott Eastwood wasn't cast. He was my first pick (Clint probably would have been King's choice provided the movie was made in the 80's). But with King announcing the above and Idris being cast, maybe this Roland is another one. Just like there is another Eddie behind another door. Whose to say that maybe when he gets to the end, that there aren't several Roland's? Whatever they do, I'm excited with the cast they have and Ron Howard being attached to it for so long.

I'm also very excited to hear that Wizard and Glass will be an accompanying TV series to the movies.

Traveler locke11110 is on a distinguished road

I hated the ending to an extent I cannot fully explain. I have read through the whole series twice and have re read books 2 through 5 many time (I dont know the exact amount).

I think the ending was like the ending to the original mario brothers. Just a silly 'go back to the begginning'.

I think the idea that some fans have that 'its the only way it could have ended' is ridiculous.

And it is proven in the story when Roland is given the horn. The horn is a gift from Gan. Meaning this time (probably the 19th time Roland has been through the cycle) Roland achieved something he hadnt before. Which means Roland does something different every time and is probably qorking towards something.

If I was to guess, I would guess Stephen King did this on purpose. Stephem King loves his books to be movies because he appreciates both form of story telling. He alludes to his characters taking inspiration from movies co stantly. Roland like cliny eastwood. Roland and mort symbiosis being like the terminator. The wolves having lightsabers.

I truly believe he always imagined hos magnum opus ending not on a seventh book, but by film. I think the series will not follow the 19th run through, but the 20th.

In the dark tower universe nothing has happened chronologically after the 7th dark tower book. Maybe the whole universe resets along with Roland. And maybe this time Roland really will fix it.

Gunslinger Apprentice BountyHunter is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

And Roland is suddenly black for this next loop. Interesting. I wonder how that happened?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast