Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: About a potential next tournament

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

The Doors, man, GLOOOOOOORRRIAAAAAAAA!
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

seconded

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Doors would be my vote - but I am a keyboardist, so that makes sense.

(Peace Frog rules)
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I think Pink Floyd or The Eagles or Tool or DMB or The Doors or.........haha this is why we need a tourney.
    Tool?

My votes would go to: Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Beatles, Velvet Underground and The Guess Who
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I tried to start a Greatest Band of all time tournament awhile back. While there seemed to be a lot of interest at the time, the idea was shot down due to competition with an ongoing tournament. I think there would be a lot of interest in this type of tourney.
    Yup, I remember this. I think this would be an excellent tournament.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Classic Rock station in Toronto did one a month or so ago. It's the highest regarded in all of Canada I believe. It came down to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and Zeppelin won. Zeppelin took down some heavyweights, like The Beatles.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This is exciting.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Should we open a nominations thread? Here is what I had thought before: Allowing for the wide variety in tastes, and also for the extremely large number of groups that are out there, I think that there should be a large number of nominations.
    What do you all think of this?
    100 nominations
    Round one: 10 groups of 10 - top 2 from each poll move on leaving 20
    Round two: 4 groups of 5 - top 2 from each poll moving on leaving 8
    Round three: 2 groups of 4 - top 2 from each poll moving on leaving 4
    Semifinals: 2 groups of 2 - top 1 from each poll moving on leaving 2
    Finals.

thoughts?
    too many?
    Sloth Love Chunk

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I'll participate when it comes down to it, but for the planning phases....I wouldn't know shit about that, it's up to you guys.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it just bands or are solo artists included? Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Paul McCartney and others definitely deserve to be in it.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I think solo artists should be included. I would definitely feel that Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, and Jimi Hendrix were worthy of a nomination.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen...they would definitely have to be there.

My Mood
    Breezy

couldn't we have a solo artist tournament too? it might get hopelessly cluttered if we mixed them all up, IMO.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think solo artists should be included. I would definitely feel that Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, and Jimi Hendrix were worthy of a nomination.
    Dylan.

You forgot Dylan.

::shocked::

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default About a potential next tournament

Now that we've gone through two big genres (horror and sci-fi), we were discussing earlier the possibility of doing more genres, maybe up to 10 or so, and then having these best movies face off against one another. A popular genre to go next seemed to be comedy, to lighten things up.

This probably wouldn't start right away, I think we all would like a short break, but I wouldn't mind starting this deal back up in a couple of weeks.

I've been going though various lists, and there are just SO MANY great comedies I could potentially nominate, it's not even funny...

Just look at these great movies (some may not be pure comedies, but what is and isn't a comedy is often difficult to say):

1920s:

1930s:

1940s:

1950s:

1960s:

1970s:

1980s:

1990s:

2000s:

2010s:

That's 264 movies right there. And I'm sure I missed a bunch. I may have gone overboard just a tad, but most of these deserve to be nominated. So I'm hoping when we go ahead with the nominations, we'll do 200 instead of 160. I'm currently using the 200-entry system for the flags tournament in Starkblast, and it's a pretty good one if I do say so myself!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What are we waiting for...let's go!!
    And yes, you did miss the best comedy of the 1970s.....which will be my first nomination!

sk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm fully on board, but I definitely do need a small break from tournaments. Completely open to the idea of revisiting this in a few weeks.

Keep in mind that the holidays are quickly approaching so we will likely see a reduced amount of traffic for the remainder of the year. Maybe this is something we should aim to get off the ground in 2015? Just a thought.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    And yes, you did miss the best comedy of the 1970s.....which will be my first nomination!
    Do tell

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Do tell

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Keep in mind that the holidays are quickly approaching so we will likely see a reduced amount of traffic for the remainder of the year. Maybe this is something we should aim to get off the ground in 2015? Just a thought.
    Good observation. I know that if this starts up in the next few weeks I won't be participating in this one. Lots of Halloween-themed movies to watch in addition to fall TV. Plus, I'm about tournament-ed out, so starting sometime in 2015 sounds good to me.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a little confused as to what your definition of comedy is. I only went through the 2010 list, didn't recognize a lot of them (which is saying something in itself) but ... Wolf of wall street, kick ass, the kids aren't alright ... they might have humor in them, but in no way would I classify them as comedies.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Good observation. I know that if this starts up in the next few weeks I won't be participating in this one. Lots of Halloween-themed movies to watch in addition to fall TV. Plus, I'm about tournament-ed out, so starting sometime in 2015 sounds good to me.
    I agree, things always get really busy around this time of year. And I'm with Ricky. I'll be watching loads of scary movies over the next few weeks
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I'd love to do a comedy tournament.
    2015 sounds good to me.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I'm a little confused as to what your definition of comedy is. I only went through the 2010 list, didn't recognize a lot of them (which is saying something in itself) but ... Wolf of wall street, kick ass, the kids aren't alright ... they might have humor in them, but in no way would I classify them as comedies.
    We've had this same discussion with the horror and sci-fi tournaments. A genre is sometimes hard to define. What's funny to some is not at all funny to others. The Wolf of Wall Street was one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. The Quaalude scene alone makes it one of the best comedies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast