1 9.09%
  • Saudi Arabia

1 9.09%
  • Bolivia

3 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fun With Flags: Round 2 - Group I

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Fun With Flags: Round 2 - Group I

Please vote for the best flags; you may choose up to four flags. The top four will be moving on to the next round. This is NOT a vote for which country is "better". We are strictly voting based on the aesthetics and the design of each flag, not taking into account any geopolitical issues. Below each flag you'll find a link to the Wikipedia article about that flag, if you're curious to find out more about its history and symbolism.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Turkmenistan's flag is nice - the stripe reminds me of a carpet we had at home when I was a little girl (I think, almost all Soviet families had at least one carpet with similar design )

Also voted for Papua New Guinea and Iceland.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Apparently that's a Persian carpet design. I too went with Turkmenistan as well, plus Brazil, Iceland, and Tajikistan.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Papua New Guinea
    Brazil
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think you are right, pablo - many of these (now) independent states had been parts of larger empires in the past, so no wonder they share culture. It's just funny how little things bring back childhood memories

In my mind, the Brazil flag is so firmly associated with soccer that I see it as a "soccer flag", really

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    In my mind, the Brazil flag is so firmly associated with soccer that I see it as a "soccer flag", really
    The crazy thing about Brazil's flag, as many people know is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Brazil#Stars
    The stars, whose position in the flag reflect the sky over Rio de Janeiro on November 15, 1889, represent the union's federated units – each star representing a specific State, plus one for the Federal District [...] Professor Paulo Araújo Duarte of the Federal University of Santa Catarina, bears this out, saying "In truth, the creators of our republican flag intended to represent the stars in the sky at Rio de Janeiro at 8:30 in the morning on 15 November 1889, the moment at which the constellation of the Southern Cross was on the meridian of Rio de Janeiro and the longer arm [of the cross] was vertical." Another article, citing "O Céu da Bandeira (The Sky of the Flag)", by J.R.V. Costa, says the exact time was actually 08:37. This last article includes the designer of the flag's explanation of his intentions regarding the stars.

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, how interesting! It's so much fun to read about the history of flags and significance of their elements.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I always took Brazil's flag to be "looking globally."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Iceland and Bolivia are tied for the last spot. Can we break the tie before the poll closes?

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed.

The following three flags are moving on to Round 3:
    1. Papua New Guinea (72.73%)
    2. Brazil (63.64%)
    3. Turkmenistan (54.55%)

The following two flags will face-off in a tiebreaker for the last two spots to move on:
    1. Bolivia (27.27%)
    2. Iceland (27.27%)

And the following three flags are eliminated:
    1. New Zealand (9.09%)
    2. Saudi Arabia (9.09%)
    3. Tajikistan (9.09%)

+ Reply to Thread