Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Non-superhero comic to movie adaptations

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default Non-superhero comic to movie adaptations

At least once a week, I run into some closed-minded jackass who'll make some sort of sarcastic/wiseass remark that comics are kiddie stuff/immature/and OhmyGod how can you still read those?

And sure, I couldn't give less of a flying F for ________ (insert some B Marvel/DC character) but I could make the same argument and call them out, "Oh you read books? 50 Shades of Grey is a book, ergo books are stupid and feature boring and underdeveloped characters." Or, "Oh, you like movies? Paul Blert the Mall Cop is a movie. Movies must suck!"

That out of the way, this is a quick list of movies I dug that were originally graphic novels. Sure, the comic fans knew that but your average movie fans didn't.

A History of Violence
    Road to Perdition
    Snowpiercer
    The Crow

These too but they're not my favourite movies:

From Hell (Johnny Depp)
    Red (Bruce Willis)
    Wanted (Jollie)
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Sin City is a grey area. More people knew that was a graphic novel than Road to Perdition for example, but not as many as I thought.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've got the graphic novel A History Of Violence, but haven't got around to reading it yet. I enjoyed the film though, and I love John Wagner's work in general. Definitely will get around to that soon. The Sin City series I need to read more of. I was surprised by how incredibly faithfully the first film adapted The Hard Goodbye. I loved the art style, and really enjoyed the first film, so I wouldn't mind checking out more of that world through other volumes and the new film.

While I know the character has a bit of a colourful costume and has some heroic qualities, I'd still classify Dredd as a movie adaptation of a non-superhero comic, primarily because of the fact that, unlike other long-running comic protagonists, Dredd isn't so much a hero as a cop doing his job, something I always liked about the comic and especially enjoyed with the latest film. I think the fact that he's not a hero was something the makers of the original movie couldn't understand and tried too hard to make him into one.

Also, I know a lot of people either love it or hate it, but Scott Pilgrim was definitely a movie I enjoyed. Same for the comics, which I really need to re-read at some point.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

+ Reply to Thread