Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Insure Your Collectibles

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Default HOW TO: Insure Your Collectibles

A while back, someone posted the Insurance company that Stu uses. Anyone have their info and web site?. Thanks.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    A while back, someone posted the Insurance company that Stu uses. Anyone have their info and web site?. Thanks.
    It is Collectibles Insurance Services. I use them too. They are very easy to insure with. Fortunately I have not had a claim but that also means that I don't know if they are easy to work with in that respect or not.

http://www.collectinsure.com/

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Thanks Bob. I had it bookmarked but the link doesn't seem to work anymore. I plan on calling them sometime this month.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the link, Bob.

(By the way, I changed the thread name to fit the sub-forum.)

If anyone else has other ways of insuring their stuff, please let us know here!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

I've tried other ways to insure my collection but these folks are used to dealing with collectors (stamps, coins, books, etc.) and really make it easy. For a long time I tried to insure my books with a personal articles floater attached to my homeowners policy. I used to have to submit a list of books yearly and there was ALWAYS much confusion on the insurance company side and it was a major hassle. I've got over 3500 items in my collection, many are $5 and $10 items, and generating a list every year was a real chore even though it is on a computer. And the rates were very high.

Collectibles Insurance Services requires itemization only on items valued at $5000 or greater. You just tell them the value of your collection and they tell you what the premium is. Very easy.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I needed this info.

Much thanks.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

A rider to the homeowners is the other option I was thinking of. Thanks for pointing out those hurdles and differences based on your personal experience, Bob. I appreciate it.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Along the Path of the Beam jcf817 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

I've tried other ways to insure my collection but these folks are used to dealing with collectors (stamps, coins, books, etc.) and really make it easy. For a long time I tried to insure my books with a personal articles floater attached to my homeowners policy. I used to have to submit a list of books yearly and there was ALWAYS much confusion on the insurance company side and it was a major hassle. I've got over 3500 items in my collection, many are $5 and $10 items, and generating a list every year was a real chore even though it is on a computer. And the rates were very high.

Collectibles Insurance Services requires itemization only on items valued at $5000 or greater. You just tell them the value of your collection and they tell you what the premium is. Very easy.
    How does one go about establishing a value for one's collection?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcf817 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

How does one go about establishing a value for one's collection?
    I use this company as well.

To value one's collection (I am assuming it is books), you can look at completed auctions on eBay as a start for each item. You can also search
    on ABE or alibris, you can look at what Bett's Bookstore, Camelot Books, Bad Moon Books, Lloyd Currey, Barry Levin, Dave Hutcheson value them at.

Anyone else want to have a go at it?

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It would help if you keep track of how much you paid for each item, too, especially if you got them from the "aftermarket" (and not from the initial publisher). That at least will give you a starting point.

John

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have both on my spreadsheet - what I paid and a ballpark value based on the things wiz mentioned above. I also note the source the ballpark came from (aka Betts, ABE w/ seller, etc.) and the date. That way I know if I haven't checked something out for a while and might need to update the value.

My issue usually comes with trying to determine the grade for each book since there are so many different ways. I know there are "primers", etc., all over the web, but even THEY are different.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure if this is the right place for this question? How do you get to know how much your bookcollection is worth? Do you go to a bookstore and ask someone? Do you ask an insurance appraiser?

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    I am not sure if this is the right place for this question? How do you get to know how much your bookcollection is worth? Do you go to a bookstore and ask someone? Do you ask an insurance appraiser?
    pixiedark76-

See the various methods/sources listed in a few of the responses above this one. If your collection is not too big, several of us here would be happy to give you a ballpark estimate on each book if we know condition, 1st, 2nd third edition etc. We are more experts on King books though.

If you have lots of different authors, I would search eBay completed auctions to get an idea of vale. You can almost always find a certain book on ABE (www.abe.com), but often their prices are higher than the true value.

Does this help? If not, let me (us) know.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you everybody for the excellent advice! This information has really helped me a lot!

Along the Path of the Beam Spaceman Spiff is on a distinguished road Spaceman Spiff's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great info in here!

Thanks a lot!
    John
    My Stephen King collection
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; 10-15-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added manual Signature

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Insurance/Riders on Home Insurance

What are people doing to their household insurance for extra insurance on their collections?
    Fire and Water are bad for books.....

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I asked my insurance company about this, and was informed books are hard to insure as they are subject to easy damage, unlike things like guns or jewelry. So consequently, insurance coverage for fragile items such as books is very high, and most times not worth the price.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Collecting Tutorials has a wealth of information.
    HOW TO: Insure Your Collectibles

This thread will be merged soon. Thanks for refreshing the subject for our members.

I would recommend checking this company out, get rates, etc. before committing to a rider or personal articles floater.

I have my collection insured with them and am very happy. I've never had a claim but I ask them a lot of questions as they occur to me and they always have a good answer. I think the rates are very hard to beat.

http://www.collectinsure.com/

Along the Path of the Beam debungsmere is on a distinguished road

I asked my ins. agent about it. She didnt have much of a clue and came back at me with $15 for $500 worth of insurance... So I imagine $30 for 1k, $60 for 2k or somewhere close to that anyway. I keep my pricier ones in a safety deposit box for now.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    What are people doing to their household insurance for extra insurance on their collections?
    Fire and Water are bad for books.....
    Nothing! If my collection goes up in flames, so be it.
    After all, it's only paper.....

sk

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Nothing! If my collection goes up in flames, so be it.
    After all, it's only paper.....
    Gasp! *looks around* You should be okay, I don't think anyone heard that...

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony will become famous soon enough Tony will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone know how/where I can get some books appraised in Toronto? I need appraisals on some of my books before they can get insured.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

does anyone have any recommendations for insurance in the UK?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Man this is help but I do not think it will help in Canada
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast