Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Strain

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Finally getting to this...I've watched the first six episodes. Solid stuff. Maybe the "bad" episodes are still to come. I agree about Stoll not being the best lead. He's better at playing sleazy baddies. I was right about these guys making the 'Salem's Lot duo look like the Stooges, wasn't I? That feeding time scene with the chain was pretty brutal.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the whole series, and when I heard people talking about the "bad" episodes it got me wondering if I was just enjoying the show because I enjoyed the books so much.... But either way I'm looking forward to season 2.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Done. 8/10. Here's my review, copied from Amazon:
    Spoiler:
    I dug the original trilogy of books by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan; I dug the comic adaptation on Dark Horse (click on my username to read the review); and I'm really liking the TV adaptation as well. The show sticks pretty close to source material and though some of the cast are not how I imagined them, this is still an exciting and gripping show.

Some of the dialogue feels a little clumsy at times and some action scenes don't necessarily have the urgency they should have. That is just a minor complaint about a show that gets better as it moves along. The premise is pretty simple: vampire takeover of United States that starts in New York City. There is nothing romantic about these vampires, we're just meat for predators a few steps above us on the food chain.

Characters are introduced individually (neat technique) and as their paths start to cross, things shift swiftly into overdrive. Flashbacks to Setrakin's youth and the introduction of the Master provide further insight into this ancient creature and depths of pure evil. What I find interesting about The Strain is how flawed--maybe even unlikeable--most of characters are. That just makes an already bleak future even worse-is our fate truly in the hands of this group?

While this isn't a top class TV show of The Wire, Orphan Black, True Detective and Breaking Bad caliber, it is nonetheless a solid show that has promise enough only to get better with season two. It's an interesting story with great pacing. It's like an updated version of Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Season two is underway. I have mixed feelings about it.

Apparently the world now knows that vampires exist, but they don't seem that upset.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

Apparently the world now knows that vampires exist, but they don't seem that upset.
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Many people seem to have the mindset of business as usual. I'm a few episodes behind and while I'm enjoying season 2, it's not quite as strong as season 1.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Many people seem to have the mindset of business as usual. I'm a few episodes behind and while I'm enjoying season 2, it's not quite as strong as season 1.
    +1

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Am I the only one watching this show?

Season Three is about four episodes in now....really liking it.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I just watched S3E1 the other day. Yeah I agree, its a fun show to watch. Fet kicks arse, and I'm a fan of Eichorst too

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I should jump back in, I'm still in season two.... I think ?
    I'm still in season one of breaking bad and season three of walking dead and on top of that it's football season again

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I have always been tempted by this series but feared disappointment. I have also refrained reading this thread in order to avoid spoilers.

I'm guessing, by the length of this thread, the show is a hit.

I will give it a try.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post

I'm still in season one of breaking bad and season three of walking dead and on top of that it's football season again
    I didn't watch Breaking Bad when it was on either. Then watched all five seasons in about four months. It is now one of my top five shows ever.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post

I didn't watch Breaking Bad when it was on either. Then watched all five seasons in about four months. It is now one of my top five shows ever.
    I just watched it on Netflix for the first time. I binge watched all 62 episodes in three weeks.

I'm now going through withdrawals.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

The plague has spread across the globe now......
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

John F. Kennedy BrandoRex will become famous soon enough BrandoRex's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think that mirrors the way that most people know about most of the bad things that are going on in the world and don't seem that upset. We are becoming more desensitized as a society to big issues but increasing more offended by trivial issues, like Kim Kardashian being robbed (Oh my!) or internet forums (present company excluded of course).

Whether or not it's intentional or not, that's what I'm seeing in the show. I don't think the show takes itself that serious but I enjoy it a whole lot more than I thought I would.

If the show had come out before The Walking Dead, I don't know if it would have done so well but that's debatable.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Season Four premier last night.

I thought it was so-so.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

The series has now ended.

All in all a good show, but the final season was not as good as the previous three.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2