Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Strain

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Strain

I watched the first five episodes of this new FX show this weekend.

Is it just me, or is this a remake of 'Salem's Lot?

You have Barlowe and Straker-like characters....and they even call the head bad guy The Master........
    Last edited by tippy4; 09-23-2016 at 09:19 PM.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You mean you have Dracula and Renfield-like characters ... lol

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As near as I can remember they are following the book quite well. So far I am enjoying it a lot!

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm really digging it too. del Toro is a fantastically talented creator.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'll have to get it on DVD when it comes out. I don't have cable and I don't know where to watch it online.

As for the 'Salem's Lot comparison...if this follows the book at all, The Strain will make Barlow and Co. look like the Three Stooges.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did think of Salem's Lot as well while watching it. I also thought of Fringe since they both start with an event on a plane. Anyway, it is pretty good and has really good effects for a TV show.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I'm enjoying it. Loved the books and think they are setting the story up quite well so far.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So it closely resembles the books? I have them on the "to be read" shelf, but delayed reading them when I started watching the show. I didn't want it to be another UTD situation where I keep watching and saying things like: "Well, in the book, it happened like this..."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

UTD has gone completely off the rails, so no worries there!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

We have some new players in the game....interesting.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I enjoyed their introduction. The series is making me consider the limited editions of the books as I'm remembering how much I enjoyed the story.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm really enjoying the show as well. I think I still have a few eps to catch up on though. The books have been on my to-read list since they first came out. Maybe I'll pick them up soon.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    Yeah I enjoyed their introduction. The series is making me consider the limited editions of the books as I'm remembering how much I enjoyed the story.
    Who published the limited editions?

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Lonely Road Books.

Strain (v1) is out (and sold out)

The Fall (v2) is forthcoming (and sold out)
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Lonely Road Books.

Strain (v1) is out (and sold out)

The Fall (v2) is forthcoming (and sold out)
    I coulda swore they were all out. I read them. Maybe I'm nuts.

http://www.amazon.com/Guillermo-Chuc...lermo+del+toro
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Talking about the signed limited editions by LRB Bill. Only one has been published so far.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

They are and you are! Just kidding, it's a great series, though.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Talking about the signed limited editions by LRB Bill. Only one has been published so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

They are and you are! Just kidding, it's a great series, though.
    Oh, well I am "Confused". It says so in my profile!! LOL Seriously, my bad I didn't see, better yet "process" the reference to LRB immediately.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved this show guys!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Loved this show guys!
    Yeah, they did a fairly good job with this series so far. I'm encouraged for more.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was fairly impressed with this show but I wish it would have been a mini-series instead of a regular series. I think it would have been stronger with them wrapping it up with a final showdown this week not dragging it on for seasons to come. I guess time will tell.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    I was fairly impressed with this show but I wish it would have been a mini-series instead of a regular series. I think it would have been stronger with them wrapping it up with a final showdown this week not dragging it on for seasons to come. I guess time will tell.
    I hear you, but there is three books worth of story to be told.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I liked the show at first, but by the end I was getting pretty bored with it. Maybe a mini-series would have been better. For those that have read the stories, how do they compare? Does this season only cover the first book? Or is it like The Walking Dead/Under the Dome where it's not even comparable?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Eh. This is my reaction upon completing The Strain. It certainly wasn't an awful series, but overall it failed to grab me on a weekly basis. Some episodes were very strong, other were pretty weak.

I think my biggest problem with the show was Corey Stoll. I would have liked to see a stronger male lead. I think he was somewhat miscast. I can't fully put my finger on why.

Also, the big bad vampire at the end looked like a costume and mask you might find at one of those pop-up Halloween stores that show up this time of year and take over an old Barnes & Noble.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Eh. This is my reaction upon completing The Strain. It certainly wasn't an awful series, but overall it failed to grab me on a weekly basis. Some episodes were very strong, other were pretty weak.

I think my biggest problem with the show was Corey Stoll. I would have liked to see a stronger male lead. I think he was somewhat miscast. I can't fully put my finger on why.

Also, the big bad vampire at the end looked like a costume and mask you might find at one of those pop-up Halloween stores that show up this time of year and take over an old Barnes & Noble.
    I don't know about some of your thoughts there, but yes, it had its good episodes and its bad ones. To me, it was a little 50/50 good/bad, but worth a watch for season two at least. It is a little "borderline" at times and then "wham" surprises you. I'll give it another shot, mainly b/c I read the books and would like to see what they end up doing with them.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast