Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starkblast tournament: Fun With Flags

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Starkblast tournament: Fun With Flags

Just wanted to gauge interest for a tournament to be held here at Starkblast, since it's way off-topic. I had an idea to hold a tournament to vote for the best national flag. Flags are sort of an interest of mine and we all love polls here at TDT.org! This would be a pretty involved tournament, since there are so many nations and sometimes what is and isn't a nation is hard to define. I don't want to get into the technical stuff now, since I'm just wondering at this point if this is something worth doing and people would be interested in participating.

While you mull it over, here's Dr. Sheldon Cooper, everybody:

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting Idea, what sort of things are we going to be judging the flags on? Good use of colour?, most interesting heraldic symbol? use of symmetry ?

How do you propose keeping national pride out of this? there are a great many US members on here and we all know how attached you are to your nations flag!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So yeah, flags would have to be judged on their aesthetics alone without any politics or anything else. One of my favorite things about the Olympics, for instance, is the parade of nations, getting to see all the different countries and of course their flag. I dunno, there's something cool about flags, no matter how you feel about any particular county, whether it's your own or one you aren't very fond of for whatever reason. And we have a pretty varied worldwide membership though most are from the US, I think. Still, if people base their votes solely on the look of the flag, it should be fun. I wouldn't bet, for instance, that the flag of the United States would win the whole thing.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have your winner right here: Flag of the Benin Empire, that was situated in modern Nigeria. A pre-colonial African state, it lasted from 1440 to 1897:

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Count me in, pablo! I'm fascinated by flags, and totally share your sentiment about parade of nations at the Olympics.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Country
    Country Flag

We would be doing flags just for current states. I've got a list of 200, which contains all current UN members and some other not-quite sovereign countries. There are all sorts of ways to count what is and isn't a country but for the purposes of a poll I think an even 200 is perfect.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Great idea, is probably the only opportunity in the Vatican City or Nepal can defeat the USA, Russia or China in a tournament.

Country
    Country Flag

I really like the system we've got going for the best sci-fi movie tournament (which started out with 160 entries), so I think a similar system can be adopted for 200 entries. It could look like this:
    • Round 1: 20 groups of 10 flags - top 6 move on
    • Round 2: 15 groups of 8 flags - top 4 move on
    • Round 3: 12 groups of 5 flags - top 2 move on
    • Octofinals: 8 groups of 3 flags - top 1 moves on
    • Quarterfinals: 4 groups of 2 flags - top 1 moves on
    • Semifinals: 2 groups of 2 flags - top 1 moves on
    • Finals: 1 group of 2 flags - top 1 is the winner

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This sounds... interesting lol.

Sure, count me in.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I will enjoy seeing and judging all 200 flags. Cool idea, pablo!

Country
    Country Flag

Would love to see some more feedback but looks like it's a go.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Count me in...and don't forget the U.N. flag! It is beautiful!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears are in

their favorite is Vatican flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Alright, so we'll begin on Monday! No UN flag, just actual countries, and that includes 193 UN member states, 2 observer states (Palestine and Vatican City), 4 other UN almost-members (Cook Islands, Kosovo, Niue, Taiwan) and Hong Kong, just because. All in all, 200.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

DON'T FORGET.... GRAND FINWICK.

Country
    Country Flag

Here's the schedule for Round 1. Just like with the best sci-fi movie tournament, it will be a multiple-choice poll of ten entries per poll, with the top six moving on to Round 2, and you are able to vote for up to six choices.

August 18
    August 20
    August 25
    August 27
    September 1

Country
    Country Flag

The first four groups have been posted. Vote away!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I've posted some interesting facts for the UK flag - would like to see similar if your countries flag has been posted. Adds a little more to the pot than just "that looks nice"

For instance:
    Until 1968, the flag of the tropical Turks and Caicos Islands contained a badge which appeared to feature two igloos. The artist had mistaken two piles of salt (an important export) on an earlier version of the flag for a dwelling, and drawn a doorway. Now their flag features a lobster, a conch and a flowering cactus!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    I've posted some interesting facts for the UK flag - would like to see similar if your countries flag has been posted. Adds a little more to the pot than just "that looks nice"

For instance:
    Until 1968, the flag of the tropical Turks and Caicos Islands contained a badge which appeared to feature two igloos. The artist had mistaken two piles of salt (an important export) on an earlier version of the flag for a dwelling, and drawn a doorway. Now their flag features a lobster, a conch and a flowering cactus!

Bahhh...What Do you know, you .. person!!!! You are likekly a POMEY with a flowering cactus! Bahh!! Horsestuff!!
    The next ye' tell me the colonist broke from the King!

Country
    Country Flag

Groups A through D are closing tomorrow morning, so please vote if you haven't already. Any tiebreakers will be posted soon after, for a shorter polling period than the usual seven days (probably four).

Country
    Country Flag

Groups I through L have been posted as well as tiebreakers for the first group of polls that closed today.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't seem to see the Vatican flag anywhere... or did I already vote for it and then forget? bears are not in their best shape

Country
    Country Flag

Vatican hasn't been up for a vote yet. Bears only missed the first four polls. See post #16 above.

Country
    Country Flag

I see, thank you! it's not easy for bears to follow anything complex nowadays...

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Is the U.N. flag included, pablo?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast