Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2379

Thread: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Yea, my friend who knows a lot about this stuff said that it might be a while before we see the X-Men rolled up into the MCU. I am assuming there will be lots of good movies between now and then.
    I suspect we'll see something in that Phase 5 or 6. But the way it sounded to me is that the whole Fox purchase thing was just as much of a shock to Marvel Studios as it was to us, and it takes a while for the "Hollywood Machine" to change gears.
    Well, since phase 4 is going to be pretty fast, who knows. I wonder how long phase 5 and 6 are (could, would) going to be.
    If I had to guess, I'd say they'd go back to the 3 year cycle. What I'm assuming is Phase 4 is sorta a "intermission" sort of phase. Then Phase 5 will be back to leading up to team up movies that cap off each phase. But really it's anyone's guess.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    We do have a DC thread, hint hint!
    Hint taken.

(Although to be fair, I was comparing D.C. To Marvel, which I think is almost inevitable when you get big announcements like this. But I will cease and desist. )
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yay we have out next analysis from Grace:

Please watch her break it down if Lady Thor isn't exciting you as she should!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

More Phase 4 discussion from Collider Heroes:

Country
    Country Flag

Grace's analysis of Black Window:

However, maybe she wasn't aware of it or made the video after, but David Harbour's character is Red Guardian, that was confirmed:

Country
    Country Flag

And now for the Shang-Chi breakdown!

By the way, y'all should watch Kim's Convenience on Netflix, Simu Liu is hilarious on that!

Country
    Country Flag

Also, I would hope that people realize that Avengers: Endgame didn't really overtake Avatar, nor become the highest-grossing film of all time. These things must be compared adjusted for inflation over time, even when comparing to Avatar, which came out ten years ago. Right now Endgame is actually in fifth place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._for_inflation
    1 Gone with the Wind $3,728,000,000
    2 Avatar $3,273,000,000
    3 Titanic $3,099,000,000
    4 Star Wars $3,061,000,000
    5 Avengers: Endgame $2,791,156,183

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also, I would hope that people realize that Avengers: Endgame didn't really overtake Avatar, nor become the highest-grossing film of all time. These things must be compared adjusted for inflation over time, even when comparing to Avatar, which came out ten years ago. Right now Endgame is actually in fifth place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._for_inflation
    1 Gone with the Wind $3,728,000,000
    2 Avatar $3,273,000,000
    3 Titanic $3,099,000,000
    4 Star Wars $3,061,000,000
    5 Avengers: Endgame $2,791,156,183
    Yes agree BUT it is still the highest dollar value ever. That’s what I count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

But a dollar in 2009 and a dollar in 2019 are of a different value. Same with a dollar in 1939. Ticket prices are also different through the years. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

That's why maybe actual amount of tickets sold may be a better representation? If we go by that mark Titanic wins hands down.
    Endgame 94,905,300 tickets sold
    Titanic (first run) 128,345,900 sold
    Just a thought.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But a dollar in 2009 and a dollar in 2019 are of a different value. Same with a dollar in 1939. Ticket prices are also different through the years. It's comparing apples and oranges.
    Yeah top $$ shows well though.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Not at all. Lots of people saw Endgame in IMAX which runs $20+ per ticket. Do you know how much $20 would buy you in 1939 when people saw Gone with the Wind? Tickets sold works. Pure dollar amount does not, especially since people paid just a quarter on average or so to see Gone with the Wind in 1939.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I actually really don't like the inflation model. I think it works with Endgame v. Avatar and maybe Titanic, but when you get back to Star Wars and Gone With The Wind the movie going experience was a totally different ball game. Movie theaters now are showing what 10 movies at a time these days. How many options where there when Gone With The Wind was in theaters? My guess would be the majority of theaters where only showing Gone With The Wind. That really skews how well a movie is going to preform if you think about it. Avatar and Titanic compare a bit better because both came out in the "modern day" of movie theaters. But on top of that it also doesn't make sense to compare by inflation because the studios and the media aren't going to bother with it either. Besides I don't think it's actually possible for anything to beat Gone With The Winds numbers once adjusted for inflation. The way the movie industry works now just doesn't allow for it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    I actually really don't like the inflation model. I think it works with Endgame v. Avatar and maybe Titanic, but when you get back to Star Wars and Gone With The Wind the movie going experience was a totally different ball game. Movie theaters now are showing what 10 movies at a time these days. How many options where there when Gone With The Wind was in theaters? My guess would be the majority of theaters where only showing Gone With The Wind. That really skews how well a movie is going to preform if you think about it. Avatar and Titanic compare a bit better because both came out in the "modern day" of movie theaters. But on top of that it also doesn't make sense to compare by inflation because the studios and the media aren't going to bother with it either. Besides I don't think it's actually possible for anything to beat Gone With The Winds numbers once adjusted for inflation. The way the movie industry works now just doesn't allow for it.
    Well put Dan

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

http://youtu.be/UScjU_VBBTk

Had to laugh when she said ".... Annihilation staring Jane Foster ...."
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, I posted her analysis above. That might've been intentional, though. Grace's videos are always a great watch.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, but you have to also factor in that older movies have often had multiple releases. How many times do you think Gone with the wind has been rereleased through the decades? If you really want to compare apples to apples, you would need to get the numbers for their initial release only.

Jaws is at #7 but I saw this in the theaters circa 1979, several years after its initial release, and I know the theater was far from empty.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

That's what's great about Box office mojo. It takes the original run of the movie and has that total. Then if there was a re-release of that movie it can show you that. And it also shows you an updated final total.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I care nothing about box office, personally.

I'm interested in seeing what the top grossing movies are, of course, but I have no desire to see a particular movie at the top. It's like we're pitting movies against each other like sports teams and rooting for our side. It's baffling.

What I care more about is whether a movie I like made money. Because that will determine whether they make more movies like it.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

That's what's great about Box office mojo. It takes the original run of the movie and has that total. Then if there was a re-release of that movie it can show you that. And it also shows you an updated final total.
    It depends what you're trying to measure.

If you're trying to measure popularity, then you should look at total number of tickets sold.
    If you're trying to measure financial success then you look at revenue adjusted for inflation.
    If you're trying to measure how much buzz a movie has at release, you look at opening weekend tickets sales.
    If you're trying to make a particular movie look like the best movie ever, you change the rules so that that movie wins, making the whole exercise pointless.

None of this measures movie quality, or justifies anyone liking the movie, of course. The only people benefitting from a movie being on this list is the studio who made it.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Cool

I agree. I agree. I don't like movies just because they make a lot of money. I am sure that there are plenty of films that I liked that did not make a lot of money, and some movies that made a lot of money that I did not like. I don't go by anything that anybody says i.e rotten tomatoes, or how much the movie is making. If I like the look of the preview, I take a chance, even if after I hear bad things about it.

I'm sorry, I know I'm being a killjoy. People should feel free to be gratified about liking a movie that lots of other people like. It's fine.

I'm just fixated at the moment on the way studios manipulate audiences into treating fandom like loyalty to a team, or like support for a social movement, solely to sell more tickets and make more money. When a cast member or director stands up in front of a group of people and shouts, "Let's make this movie the top grossing movie of all time!" And the audience cheers, I'm asking myself, "why are you cheering? The studio is blatantly asking you to buy more of their product than you would otherwise, just so THEY can succeed".

So that's where this cynicism is coming from. Sorry, enjoy your movie lists.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I'm just fixated at the moment on the way studios manipulate audiences into treating fandom like loyalty to a team, or like support for a social movement, solely to sell more tickets and make more money.
    This is pretty much the root of the problem. Make no mistake, studios and companies absolutely love when these fandom wars break out. Marvel vs Avatar. Marvel vs Star Wars. Marvel vs DC. Playstation vs Xbox. They're essentially monetizing fanboy/girlism. Pop culture specifically has a rabid fanbase and the big wigs have gotten ruthlessly efficient at using it as both a PR tool and sales booster.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I'm just fixated at the moment on the way studios manipulate audiences into treating fandom like loyalty to a team, or like support for a social movement, solely to sell more tickets and make more money.
    This is pretty much the root of the problem. Make no mistake, studios and companies absolutely love when these fandom wars break out. Marvel vs Avatar. Marvel vs Star Wars. Marvel vs DC. Playstation vs Xbox. They're essentially monetizing fanboy/girlism. Pop culture specifically has a rabid fanbase and the big wigs have gotten ruthlessly efficient at using it as both a PR tool and sales booster.
    Marvel vs Avatar and Marvel vs Star Wars are particularly hilarious because no matter who wins those wars Disney ultimately wins in the end.

At the end of the day though I just find the numbers fascinating, I don't really care what movie is the top grossing movie, I'm just interested in what it is. I honestly was beginning the think the Avatar numbers were purely unbeatable, and I am actually really surprised Endgame managed to do it.

Country
    Country Flag

Except Endgame didn't and is only about half a billion short

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast