Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 96 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 2379

Thread: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The 2 best announcements - M. Ali as Blade and the Doctor Strange/Scarlet Witch movie being "MCU's first horror film." It won't be Rated R for sure but you can still make a compelling horror film without gore. Considering the reality bending properties inherent to Strange and Widow's powers, it should be a fun ride.

Curious about the Black Widow prequel. I did see some concept art of her fighting Taskmaster and it looked pretty cool. I still don't know why they're doing a BW movie now that Endgame is over, perhaps the story there will play a part in Phase 4.

Jane Foster Thor... ehhh. She was easily the most bland of the semi-central characters in the entire MCU. I hope the She Thor story is just a 1 movie thing and Hemsworth gets back to donning the cape.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I'm still looking forward to Thor 4 but I kinda have to agree about Jane Foster Thor. The whole someone else stepping into someone elses "super hero persona" is one of things comics do that I hate the most. Like Falcon taking over for Cap. It's just like "Why?" Falcon was Falcon, just let him be and let Cap retire or whatever. Honestly the only time I think it's really been done well in the comics was with Batman, and that only worked because the world didn't know Batman was gone and they were trying to cover it up so to speak.

I'm looking forward to Blade, Doctor Strange 2, and the Black Widow movie. I'm not really sure how I feel about Eternals or Shang Chi though. I know nothing about either of those franchises so they'll be a wait and see thing for me. I do wish we had gotten a Fantastic 4 tease or something though.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised at the lack of excitement about Jane Foster, really. The storyline has her diagnosed with cancer and wielding Mjolnir actually temporarily cures her basically but also has a side effect of resetting her chemo. So while she's battling cancer she's also battling as Thor which is literally killing her. So it's about perseverance and fighting for what is right despite all obstacles. It's tremendously empowering.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Personally, I'm not that excited about the X-Men entering the MCU. The X-Men exist in their own, very specific world, and we haven't seen that world in the MCU to date. So I fear either some multiverse mechanic (which I've always felt was a cheap plotting device to enable crossovers, but a weak trope) or some massive retconning. But we will see.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Personally, I'm not that excited about the X-Men entering the MCU. The X-Men exist in their own, very specific world, and we haven't seen that world in the MCU to date. So I fear either some multiverse mechanic (which I've always felt was a cheap plotting device to enable crossovers, but a weak trope) or some massive retconning. But we will see.
    It could be that the snap triggered an evolutionary jump but quicksilver and scarlet witch exist already so not a big leap

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I'm surprised at the lack of excitement about Jane Foster, really. The storyline has her diagnosed with cancer and wielding Mjolnir actually temporarily cures her basically but also has a side effect of resetting her chemo. So while she's battling cancer she's also battling as Thor which is literally killing her. So it's about perseverance and fighting for what is right despite all obstacles. It's tremendously empowering.
    I’m fine with the story. I just don’t like that they are calling her Thor. Thor is a name not a superhero secret identity like batman or iron man

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

It's for all the reasons people are describing here.

Narratively, it doesn't make sense. Thor is not a persona like Iron Man. Thor is Thor. He isn't a human with superpowers, he's a different being altogether. Thor has no alter ego. So for someone to assume his identity is not consistent with his nature.

Secondly, we lose Hemsworth as Thor. That's going to happen eventually anyway, but passing the character in a way where we effectively lose the character of Thor himself as well is pretty disappointing.

Thirdly - and this is a personal note - I don't judge movies on whether I feel empowered by them. I need to like or empathize with the characters, yes, but that is just a part of the package. I need to be invested in what's happening on the screen.

So having Hemsworth be an excellent Thor for three standalone movies, and then have Portman say "Hold my beer", is somewhat deflating. Not because I felt "empowered" by Thor - if anything, I identified more with the human characters watching this God-like being save our asses - but because I liked and enjoyed Thor as portrayed by Hemsworth. And, frankly, I don't go to superhero movies to watch people battle cancer.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thor gains his powers from Mjolnir so anyone worthy of wielding it can technically become Thor, who is the God of Thunder. When Cap took up Mjolnir in Endgame everyone went nuts. He didn't go full Thor with it though. Jane will.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Well, after talking with my friend who knows a lot about the comics and how they all fit together, I am pleased with this and I am sure I will like each and every film. Even Thor.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's for all the reasons people are describing here.

Narratively, it doesn't make sense. Thor is not a persona like Iron Man. Thor is Thor. He isn't a human with superpowers, he's a different being altogether. Thor has no alter ego. So for someone to assume his identity is not consistent with his nature.

Secondly, we lose Hemsworth as Thor. That's going to happen eventually anyway, but passing the character in a way where we effectively lose the character of Thor himself as well is pretty disappointing.

Thirdly - and this is a personal note - I don't judge movies on whether I feel empowered by them. I need to like or empathize with the characters, yes, but that is just a part of the package. I need to be invested in what's happening on the screen. So having Hemsworth be an excellent Thor for three standalone movies, and then have Portman say "Hold my beer", is somewhat deflating. And, frankly, I don't go to superhero movies to watch people battle cancer.
    THIS (huge arrow pointing up)
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When will Hollywood learn? Shoe-horning women, person's of color, ethnicity to appease everyone doesn't work. I am ALL about it when it does. I STRESS that I am all for it but like in Endgame it feels Marvel wants to force it down our throats.... Did Ghostbusters a few years back work? NO. Will Portman be better when Helmsworth was Fuckin amazing? NO..... Let's take Terminator for instance. Not hard to tell by the trailer what we are getting with that. GIRL POWER! Will it work? NO. I STRESS that I am not in any way opposed to strong Female leeds like Hamilton in T2 for instance. It worked... Weaver in Aliens... YES! I will see all these movies but it doesn't make me excited at all for it. I love being pumped for these.... I really enjoy going to the theater to see them and am very excited to do so. That doesn't excite me.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Thor gains his powers from Mjolnir so anyone worthy of wielding it can technically become Thor, who is the God of Thunder. When Cap took up Mjolnir in Endgame everyone went nuts. He didn't go full Thor with it though. Jane will.
    That explanation works until you watch Ragnarok where Odin tells Thor the hammer is just a tool and the power was always inside him. I don't really have a problem with the story per-say, it's mostly just that Portman's Jane Foster has always kinda been a bit of a "wet fish" so to speak. Not really a very compelling character (in the movies). That said I have faith in Taika Waititi, Ragnarok really breathed new life into the character so I'm not worried that it'll be bad in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    That explanation works until you watch Ragnarok where Odin tells Thor the hammer is just a tool and the power was always inside him. I don't really have a problem with the story per-say, it's mostly just that Portman's Jane Foster has always kinda been a bit of a "wet fish" so to speak. Not really a very compelling character (in the movies). That said I have faith in Taika Waititi, Ragnarok really breathed new life into the character so I'm not worried that it'll be bad in anyway.
    To be clear, I'm not saying it will be bad either. I'm interested in what they will do with it.

But I can definitely understand why people aren't excited by it.

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

The transference of power is fine. I’m griping about the name. It doesn’t make sense to call her Thor. Cap didn’t get called Thor when he held the hammer. He was still Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    When will Hollywood learn? Shoe-horning women, person's of color, ethnicity to appease everyone doesn't work. I am ALL about it when it does. I STRESS that I am all for it but like in Endgame it feels Marvel wants to force it down our throats.... Did Ghostbusters a few years back work? NO. Will Portman be better when Helmsworth was Fuckin amazing? NO..... Let's take Terminator for instance. Not hard to tell by the trailer what we are getting with that. GIRL POWER! Will it work? NO. I STRESS that I am not in any way opposed to strong Female leeds like Hamilton in T2 for instance. It worked... Weaver in Aliens... YES! I will see all these movies but it doesn't make me excited at all for it. I love being pumped for these.... I really enjoy going to the theater to see them and am very excited to do so. That doesn't excite me.
    I agree with the sentiment, Kris, but for slightly different reasons.

Diversity and representation are important, but I always feel manipulated when they are touted as a major selling point or a mandatory requirement for a movie, regardless of context. When the first positive thing someone says about a movie's cast is that they are "diverse", my first reaction is, "well, okay, but are they GOOD, and are their characters NECESSARY?" Having good actors playing meaningful roles is more important to me as a moviegoer than the racial or gender makeup of the cast.

The problem I had with Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't that the leads were female, it was that the studio used the fact that they were female as a lever to boost sales, by hyping the "controversy" of the "backlash". By politicizing the casting, buying a ticket became a feminist statement, and criticizing the movie for any reason smacked of sexism. Personally, I didn't object to the casting at all - I objected to the script, and the lack of clever humor. But one couldn't say that online at the time without people losing their shit.

Captain Marvel suffered the same fate, where the studio and cast deliberately tried to politicize the movie to boost sales. CM was a fine movie with a strong female lead. But when Brie Larson stands up in front of women's rights activists and says she doesn't care what white male reviewers say about the movie, I feel we've lost the point of making movies.

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I agree with the sentiment, Kris, but for slightly different reasons.

Diversity and representation are important, but I always feel manipulated when they are touted as a major selling point or a mandatory requirement for a movie, regardless of context. When the first positive thing someone says about a movie's cast is that they are "diverse", my first reaction is, "well, okay, but are they GOOD, and are their characters NECESSARY?" Having good actors playing meaningful roles is more important to me as a moviegoer than the racial or gender makeup of the cast.

The problem I had with Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't that the leads were female, it was that the studio used the fact that they were female as a lever to boost sales, by hyping the "controversy" of the "backlash". By politicizing the casting, buying a ticket became a feminist statement, and criticizing the movie for any reason smacked of sexism. Personally, I didn't object to the casting at all - I objected to the script, and the lack of clever humor. But one couldn't say that online at the time without people losing their shit.

Captain Marvel suffered the same fate, where the studio and cast deliberately tried to politicize the movie to boost sales. CM was a fine movie with a strong female lead. But when Brie Larson stands up in front of women's rights activists and says she doesn't care what white male reviews say about the movie, I feel we've lost the point of making movies.
    Very true. We shall see though... Marvel has done a damm good job so far and I do not expect them to fail anytime soon. Fatigue is another issue I am worried about.... the biggest properties have been released so far comic book wise. That could be an issue as well...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Grace is very comics-knowledgeable (she's written comics herself) and an uber-nerd so it's always exciting to watch her analyses. Here's her first one and she should be doing the rest of the announced slate soon:

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

That explanation works until you watch Ragnarok where Odin tells Thor the hammer is just a tool and the power was always inside him.
    I was about to mention the same thing. I know nothing about the comics but the way it was explained in the movie his hammer was only a way for him to focus his power. Which made sense to me when he lost it and forged a new one in Infinity War.

He's not Thor the God of Hammers...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    That explanation works until you watch Ragnarok where Odin tells Thor the hammer is just a tool and the power was always inside him.
    I was about to mention the same thing. I know nothing about the comics but the way it was explained in the movie his hammer was only a way for him to focus his power. Which made sense to me when he lost it and forged a new one in Infinity War.

He's not Thor the God of Hammers...
    Yep that's the way they've played it in the movies. It's played pretty differently in the comics. In that anyone who is worthy of using the hammer, gains the power of "Thor". When Thor is "unworthy" he no longer has access to most of his powers. Pretty sure he still has his super strength, but I don't think he can fly or call lightning or any of that stuff anymore. I'm not 100% sure but I think he ends up with Stormbreaker in that comic run, which is actually a "Thor" from a different dimension's hammer.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

...Like Falcon taking over for Cap. It's just like "Why?" Falcon was Falcon, just let him be and let Cap retire or whatever...
    Honestly I'm not a big fan of the transference angle like, at all. Cap is a genetically engineered super soldier who went head to head with a renegade branch of the greatest evil the world has even known. Falcon is just some dude that can fly in a jet pack. I'm underselling him a little obviously, but you know what I mean.

There is no precursor to indicate that arc will play into this. This reeks of shoehorning her into the story to fulfill a political statement. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Thor gains his powers from Mjolnir so anyone worthy of wielding it can technically become Thor, who is the God of Thunder.
    No. Thor was a worthy king even without the hammer. That was the entire purpose behind Thor Ragnarok.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Very true. We shall see though... Marvel has done a damm good job so far and I do not expect them to fail anytime soon. Fatigue is another issue I am worried about.... the biggest properties have been released so far comic book wise. That could be an issue as well...
    It seems they're taking strides to shake things up a little bit. I'm glad that they're not doing another team up movie anytime soon. They're buying themselves time to get new characters, new directions firmly settled in place.

Country
    Country Flag

I don’t know how Ragnarok ties into it. Im just going off The Mighty Thor storyline in comics.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

As far as Jane becoming Thor, I don't think she's going to replace him. I think it's just gonna be a fun side plot, and I see no reason why there can't be two of them. Especially when Hemsworth Thor brought back his hammer from the past in Endgame. Sure Captain America returned it, but I see no reason why Jane can't somehow use that one and have the best of both worlds

Either way, after 23 films, I think we should trust that Marvel knows what they're doing

Country
    Country Flag

For anyone not excited about Phase 4, please watch the video above and Grace's expert breakdown of what the story of Doctor Strange 2 might be and its MCU implications. If you're not excited by that, I don't know what to say. I can't wait for her to do the other announced movies.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

For anyone not excited about Phase 4, please watch the video above and Grace's expert breakdown of what the story of Doctor Strange 2 might be and its MCU implications. If you're not excited by that, I don't know what to say. I can't wait for her to do the other announced movies.
    I was going to, but I think it started to have some spoilers in it (at least for me), and I want to be surprised. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't want to take a chance. And I am hyped for phase 4 after talking to my friend about it. He told me some pretty cool stuff already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 96 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast