Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 96 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2379

Thread: The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

It could be that he did not earn the right until he cleared his conscious. Or it could be that in Ultron, he really could have lifted it, but he did not want to embarrass Thor. A friend of mine told me that there have been a few people who have been able to hold the hammer and Stormbreaker. That's why I think Thor said "I knew it" when Cap picked up the hammer. Either way, it was cool when Cap started using it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Now that we've had Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel prove that wrong, and the MCU clearly going for more diversity with Phase 4, this shot was sure, a form of pandering, but it's not a bad thing. It was a preview. If you say it was a bad or cheesy thing and Cap wielding Mjolnir wasn't, then that just smells of hypocrisy.
    What? No, my bad but that's dumb. The seeds were sewn for Cap to wield Mjolnir since way back in Age of Ultron when he made the Hammer budge. This was a natural pay off to that moment, it was earned. And logistically it made sense since Mjolnir landed right next to him after Thanos smacks Thor.

Nowhere near the same thing.
    I'm not saying logically or with respect to the story. I mean image-wise.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, guys and gals, we will more than likely never see another film of this magnitude for as long as we live.

Endgame is the very definition of blockbuster. The great thing about the film is that it truly felt big and you could really feel the culmination of every film that preceded it in the MCU going back more than a decade.

Yes, it's long, but that stuff never bothers me. My only complaint is the lack of Captain Marvel. Her film came out so recently, which really got my juices flowing. For that reason alone, I really thought we were going to get a heavy dose of her in Endgame. We see her in the beginning. Then she literally tells the audience, "Listen, you're not going to see me for a while." She peaces out and we don't see her until the end.

I know a lot of people will nitpick about the time travel stuff, and it's always tricky subject matter to approach, but I thought the film did a nice job of leaning into it. They were poking a lot of fun at it and kind of winking to the camera saying, "Yes, we know time travel doesn't make sense in most cases."

If I were Disney, my biggest worry is that every Marvel film that follows Endgame is going to feel small and unimportant by comparison. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle that.

I thought the film did a great job of giving all of our heroes their moment to shine. Even the ones that came back briefly in the final act. I have felt for quite some time that Tony Stark wasn't going to make it out of this alive. Of course, it's been well documented that he didn't sign a new contract. Either way, it was fitting to see them end with Tony dying considering that Iron Man is the film that really kicked this whole thing off.

With all that being said, and I know I'm going to be in the minority on this, but there's something about these films where I find myself not very interested in rewatching them or owning them on Blu-ray.

I've loved most of the films in the MCU and have at least enjoyed the ones that were just average. They are usually some of my most anticipated films of the year they are released and I always can't wait to see them. When I'm in the theater, I'm having a blast. But after the credits finish? I'm good.

I've only gone back and rewatched a handful of them and I only own one or two on DVD or Blu-ray and that's only because I pick them up used for a few bucks.

I'm not really sure what that is about and it's something I've been trying to figure out for a while now. I'm literally writing this now because a week from now, I'm not sure how much of the film I'm actually going to be able to recall.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Although I recognized his voice immediately, I didn't realize the significance of Falcon telling Captain America "on your left" when I saw it in Endgame. I had completely forgotten about this scene.

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    My only complaint is the lack of Captain Marvel. Her film came out so recently, which really got my juices flowing. For that reason alone, I really thought we were going to get a heavy dose of her in Endgame. We see her in the beginning. Then she literally tells the audience, "Listen, you're not going to see me for a while." She peaces out and we don't see her until the end.
    I'm fine with her role being minimized for Endgame - the film's obligation was to the original core group and in that sense they delivered in spades. Cap, Tony, Thor, Black Widow, Hulk and Hawkeye; this was their show. Carol's time in the spotlight will come.

I know a lot of people will nitpick about the time travel stuff, and it's always tricky subject matter to approach, but I thought the film did a nice job of leaning into it. They were poking a lot of fun at it and kind of winking to the camera saying, "Yes, we know time travel doesn't make sense in most cases."
    Yup. I've learned over the years to give the time travel plot device a generous allowance seeing as how it's all strictly theoretical anyway. As long as the overarching themes are in place I'm willing to overlook a few things.

With all that being said, and I know I'm going to be in the minority on this, but there's something about these films where I find myself not very interested in rewatching them or owning them on Blu-ray.

I've loved most of the films in the MCU and have at least enjoyed the ones that were just average. They are usually some of my most anticipated films of the year they are released and I always can't wait to see them. When I'm in the theater, I'm having a blast. But after the credits finish? I'm good.

I've only gone back and rewatched a handful of them and I only own one or two on DVD or Blu-ray and that's only because I pick them up used for a few bucks.

I'm not really sure what that is about and it's something I've been trying to figure out for a while now. I'm literally writing this now because a week from now, I'm not sure how much of the film I'm actually going to be able to recall.
    I rewatch them when they're on TV or if they pop up on streaming services, but I stopped buying physical media a long time ago. Too expensive and takes up too much space.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Per not a lot of Captain Marvel. I found out the other day that all of her stuff in Endgame was shot before they started on the Captain Marvel movie. So my guess is that it was written with them not knowing if it was going to be a hit or not in mind. On top of Endgame needing to really be about the original group.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I've seen the screen time broken down by character but it's missing quite a few.

Captain America 66 minutes
    Ironman 62 minutes
    Thor 45 minutes
    Nebula 41 minutes
    Hulk 40 minutes
    Ant Man 38 minutes
    Hawkeye 37 minutes
    Rocket 36 minutes
    War Machine 35 minutes
    Black Widow 33 minutes
    Captain Marvel 15 minutes
    Valkyrie 8 minutes
    Okoye 6 minutes
    Wong 6 minutes
    Doesn't include Spiderman, Dr. Strange, Falcon, Black Panther, Nick Fury, the entire rest of the GOTG, all the other characters from Ant Man, etc... I'm sure most of them were around 10 minutes or less.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I've seen the screen time broken down by character but it's missing quite a few.

Captain America 66 minutes
    Ironman 62 minutes
    Thor 45 minutes
    Nebula 41 minutes
    Hulk 40 minutes
    Ant Man 38 minutes
    Hawkeye 37 minutes
    Rocket 36 minutes
    War Machine 35 minutes
    Black Widow 33 minutes
    Captain Marvel 15 minutes
    Valkyrie 8 minutes
    Okoye 6 minutes
    Wong 6 minutes
    Doesn't include Spiderman, Dr. Strange, Falcon, Black Panther, Nick Fury, the entire rest of the GOTG, all the other characters from Ant Man, etc... I'm sure most of them were around 10 minutes or less.
    Nebula is there

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Needed more Thor and Rocket screen time
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They should’ve brought Luis in to do his Luis thing to explain time travel

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah that's a missed opportunity there innit? Unless Michael Pena was busy filming something else.

Country
    Country Flag

Wish I had disposable income to drop 300 bucks on this beauty:

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Although I recognized his voice immediately, I didn't realize the significance of Falcon telling Captain America "on your left" when I saw it in Endgame. I had completely forgotten about this scene.

Genius

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

That set looks amazing.

I’m not a comic/graphic novel guy, so I’m asking out of curiosity - how would most buyers use this set? Would these be their reading copies of these stories, which aren’t collected or might be hard to get otherwise? Is it something that would stay untouched on a shelf to admire? Would you expect it will appreciate in value?

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was a good movie. Probably not in my top 3 of the MCU. I'm sure it holds a bit more value for people who have seen the entire MCU, but there were several scenes in the first 2 hours which couldn't been cut to make this movie more focused. It is closing an era of movies so it functions well as a capper, but as a standalone film, Infinity War was superior. I thought the action was done better in Infinity War, for one. When Thor, Cap, and Iron Man were fighting Thanos in Endgame, that was really well done, but then once we had the two armies fighting each other it lost its cohesion and felt like total excess..."It's the last one, we need as much CGI shit on the screen as possible!" Considering the rest of the movie was quite small in scale (in terms of action) the final battle just felt bloated and obligatory. I was enjoying a personal, gritty scrap between the heroes...that's what the fight on Titan in Infinity War was like, and it allowed them to get creative because they had room to breathe.

There was a little too much humour near the beginning too. It should've been dour with everyone miserable. I get Iron Man and Nebula were bored playing paper field goals, but it really breaks the mood. There was a lot of jokes before they killed Thanos the first time too which just took me out of it...Infinity War was the same way...we see Thanos kick Hulk's ass, kill Hemdall and Loki, and then we get jokes about Avengers Ice Cream flavours 90 seconds later...There is a time and a place for jokes. Once they hit 5 years, sure, put humour in there. It makes sense after five years, but a couple of weeks? And I think they made jokes about Scott and Quill being idiots seemingly 647 times in the movie.

I definitely felt the length of this movie than Infinity War, and Endgame isn't that much longer. Infinity War just flew by, but Endgame felt 3 hours long. It didn't help that, like I said, that big battle bored me, and the movie just seemed to refuse to end...it wasn't quite Return of the King level, but it reminded me a lot of that. It didn't help that I had to use the bathroom. Hulk didn't get much to do. That diner scene went far too long. Him half-ass smashing New York was pretty good. I don't really recall him doing much in the fight with Thanos either. He basically: had an awkward scene in a dinner, failed at time travel, and then got his ass kicked by the gauntlet. After Hulk barely being in Infinity War, I was hoping he'd make more of an impact than he did.

My thoughts have mostly been negative so far, but there were a lot of positives. I really liked the ending with Captain America, that was very nice. I liked getting more John Slattery, even though I felt most of that sequence was basically kind of pointless. Thor was a highlight of the movie for me as he channeled The Dude. I like it even more because some people were crying about fatphobia and fat shaming. Thor was hilarious, just the look of him, and his general manner of behavior. Seeing him talk trash to some kid in Fortnite was great. He also enjoys Innis and Gunn, which is a great beer! Considering Thor is the least relateable Marvel hero, he's really wormed his way into my heart since Age of Ulton and beyond. It was a nice touch that he got his vengeance on Thanos and it didn't make him feel any better and he spiraled downward into depression. It was also great to see Hawkeye get to be a badass and that opening scene was really well done...if I had one complaint about Hawkeye, it was that we didn't see more of him before Black Widow found him. We barely even know what he's been doing...I guess he's been going around hunting criminals, but why? Just because he was angry? They didn't do anything to him. That should've been it's own movie...would've been interesting and stand out amongst the rest of the MCU, a vigilante story.

Nebula really shined in Infinity War and was definitely a highlight for me. I would've liked to see more development with her though. She explains that's she's changed, and she has, but as well used as she was, there was a more personal touch missing with her. Black Widow was the same way. I don't even think Black Widow was in a single action scene. She seemed kind of sad and never ate that Peanut Butter sandwich. Her and Clint were missing from the film for over half an hour, and then she was killed off. And I didn't mourn the loss of Black Widow as a character because she's never really gotten much to do in that regard, but I'll miss seeing ScarJo in leather...that sure helped distract me from all the problems in the first two Avengers movies. And the biggest plus...IRON MAN IS DEAD! FINALLY!

I liked the numerous callbacks to the best film of the MCU, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, no doubt because it was the first movie the Russo's made for the MCU. The elevator scene was great, "It's okay, Hail Hydra." I also liked seeing Redford again and the "on your left" callback, not to mention the base Tony and Cap visited was the same one where Zola lived in The Winter Soldier.

Last, but certainly not least, I think Captain Marvel is the new Iron Man...I just want her to die. They should call her Captain Dues Ex Machina because (as I expected) she rescued Stark and Nebula and showed up just in time to destroy the big ship during the final battle. And worst of all, she's just too powerful. She just flew through a warship like they were making fun of The Last Jedi. It's clear Marvel wants her to be the fact of the MCU going forward with the way several of The Avengers had to endorse her in the movie. I don't care how much you endorse her, she's lame as fuck and totally uninteresting. She's all "LOL THANOS LOL I AM CAPTAIN MARVEL LOLOLOL LIKE HE STANDS A CHANCE AGAINST ME". And she ties directly into the worst scene in the movie...the girl power scene. It was so embarrassing to watch that. I half expected them to shout FUCK YOU, PATRIARCHY! as they went after Thanos. I mean, every female character was there...every...one...This whole huge epic battle and they all happen to group up for a super cool girl power shot that we're supposed to clap at. It was lame. You know what wasn't lame? During the Battle of Wakanda in Infinity War when it just happened that Widow, Scarlett Witch, and Michonne (I don't know her Marvel name) ended up fighting the female baddy. That was well choreographed. It didn't feel forced or cheesy, and it actually furthered the main plot. The only saving grace to that simply terrible scene was when Captain Marvel tried to take off the gauntlet and Thanos pulled out the power stone knocked her the fuck out and we didn't see her the rest of the battle. That was great. In contrast to Captain Dues Ex Machina, the Scarlet Witch/Thanos face off was the best part once the final battle became a big CGI mess. It helps she's 100x more interesting than Captain Marvel.

And one last thing...Thanos seemed way too strong. I don't mind him being a beast, but he took more punishment in Infinity War when he had several infinity stones to make him even more powerful, than him as just plain old Thanos in this one. It didn't help that he got owned to badly in the first 30 minutes without the Infinity Stones...he was beaten up and weakened, sure, but he put up just a little too good of a fight 3 on 1, not to mention the ass he continued to kick once it became a whole thing. The fight on Titan in Infinity War, I think, is the best of all the action sequences in these two movies. It's a minor quibble that probably isn't important at all, but it was something that stood out to me.

All in all I give it a 4/5...closer to a 3.5/5, but flat ratings out of 5 don't allow for much nuance when comparing like-rated movies. My ranking of the MCU movies I've seen.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    2. Avengers: Infinity War
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

4. Avengers: Endgame
    5. Guardians of the Galaxy
    6. Thor Ragnarok
    7. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    8. Captain America: The First Avenger
    9. Captain America: Civil War
    10. The Avengers

11. Ant-Man and the Wasp
    12. Iron Man
    13. The Incredible Hulk
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Pretty good review there, buddy!!! Can't say I agree with everything, but who wants total agreement anyway? lol I kinda like the Capt Marvel character so far. To me its hard to call it one way or another yet. I am looking forward to seeing what they have in store for the next phase. Gonna be hard put to top this!! Thanks for the insights, Matts!!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    Per not a lot of Captain Marvel. I found out the other day that all of her stuff in Endgame was shot before they started on the Captain Marvel movie. So my guess is that it was written with them not knowing if it was going to be a hit or not in mind. On top of Endgame needing to really be about the original group.
    I get all that, and I was perfectly happy with the film focusing on the characters that it focused on. With that being said, am I the only one that never really gave a shit about Hawkeye or Black Widow? They are two of the more boring characters in the franchise, and I'm not just saying that because they are the most human characters we see most of the time.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gunslinger Apprentice willybusmc has a spectacular aura about willybusmc has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

My only addition to this conversation is to say that I also hated Captain Marvel. To give you some background, I've seen like maybe 4 of the MCU movies, and Cpt Marvel was not one of them. But having seen Infinity War, and watching the wreckage Thanos laid on the universe's best, I hated how Captain Marvel strolled up in the beginning of Endgame and said all nonchalantly that she was gonna go kill Thanos. As if noone had ever thought of THAT before. She was way too cocky for someone who wasn't there, and I despised her for it. End rant.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    I get all that, and I was perfectly happy with the film focusing on the characters that it focused on. With that being said, am I the only one that never really gave a shit about Hawkeye or Black Widow? They are two of the more boring characters in the franchise, and I'm not just saying that because they are the most human characters we see most of the time.
    Black Widow they barely did anything with, which is crazy when you think she's been in several of the non-Avengers movies. Hawkeye has only been in 4 MCU movies, as many as Ant-Man and less than HEIMDALL, and they didn't do enough with him in any of them. Hawkeye was my favorite part of Age of Ultron and he didn't get much to do, but he was great.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2.2 billion in 12 days. Unreal...... I think this will be the first film to top 3 billion.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Saw Endgame again today. Just as emotional if not more so the second time. Had tears running down my face all through the last third with tears of nerd-joy during the big battle and then the touching Iron Man death and funeral. Seeing it a again a week after didn't lessen the impact of the whole thing, in fact knowing Black Widow dies made the first half even more impactful and emotional for me. Walked out on wobbly legs, again. I'm a die-hard DC fan but what Marvel achieved with these 22 movies, and Endgame specifically is unparalleled in movie history and may never be repeated again, even by Marvel.

As a comic book fan, this was clearly a Comic Book Movie made by comic book nerds for comic book nerds. The final battle is just a love letter to comics. If that bored you or you felt that the all-girl team-up felt "forced" or whatever, I don't think you ever picked up a comic book. It's something that even after Civil War and Infinity War comic book fans didn't think we'd see, at least speaking for myself. I couldn't breathe, again, when Cap said "Avengers assemble!" and we had that shot of almost every superhero in the history of the MCU rushing Thanos and his army. That's an incredible George Perez-style splash page shot. And the all-girl shot was the same idea. It's wow-factor and a call-back to the similar scene in Infinity War, but made many times more awesome by the sheer amount of women in it. It's Marvel saying, look at all these great women superheroes we have. It's fine to criticize that for being perhaps too little too late (we should have had a Black Widow movie like five years ago), but to criticize it just because it was all the ladies standing together is plain misogyny. I saw this with a female friend of mine today, she didn't see it with me last week, and when we came out, that was one of the first things she mentioned and how cool it was. It would've been cooler had Valkyrie been riding a pink unicorn which shot rainbow lasers out of its eyes, but that's beside the point! The whole sequence of the final battle was much more coherent than the Infinity War showdown, which I rewatched yesterday in preparation for today. Both were highly watachble movies but Endgame is much much better overall. It doesn't stand on its own as a film I guess, but as a finale for this group of films it's magnificent and we might not see something like that again.

They actually planted a lot of seeds for the future with nods to Young Avengers, Namor, and of course we know sequels like Black Panther 2 and Doctor Strange 2 are coming. It's kind of smart of Marvel to do this 5-year time jump, not just for dramatic purposes, but for real-world purposes too. Now we have five years to catch up to the MCU since Endgame ends in 2024. We have five years of new movies coming that will build the foundation for the next Avengers event, whatever that might be (Galactus?) and whenever that might be (guessing not anytime before 2025). So we'll have lots of time to speculate what the new Avengers will look like. This will be fun.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    As a comic book fan, this was clearly a Comic Book Movie made by comic book nerds for comic book nerds. The final battle is just a love letter to comics. If that bored you or you felt that the all-girl team-up felt "forced" or whatever, I don't think you ever picked up a comic book. It's something that even after Civil War and Infinity War comic book fans didn't think we'd see, at least speaking for myself. I couldn't breathe, again, when Cap said "Avengers assemble!" and we had that shot of almost every superhero in the history of the MCU rushing Thanos and his army. That's an incredible George Perez-style splash page shot. And the all-girl shot was the same idea. It's wow-factor and a call-back to the similar scene in Infinity War, but made many times more awesome by the sheer amount of women in it. It's Marvel saying, look at all these great women superheroes we have. It's fine to criticize that for being perhaps too little too late (we should have had a Black Widow movie like five years ago), but to criticize it just because it was all the ladies standing together is plain misogyny. I saw this with a female friend of mine today, she didn't see it with me last week, and when we came out, that was one of the first things she mentioned and how cool it was. It would've been cooler had Valkyrie been riding a pink unicorn which shot rainbow lasers out of its eyes, but that's beside the point! The whole sequence of the final battle was much more coherent than the Infinity War showdown, which I rewatched yesterday in preparation for today. Both were highly watachble movies but Endgame is much much better overall. It doesn't stand on its own as a film I guess, but as a finale for this group of films it's magnificent and we might not see something like that again.

It's not misogyny to point out something is incredibly lame and manufactured. I liked the all woman fight in Infinity War. It was well done and exciting and contributed to the story, since Scarlet Witch had to leave Vision in order to help. There was no storyline reason to this and it was totally illogical. Here we are, in the middle of a battle where if they lose the entire universe will be destroyed...and they take precious time for all the women to gather up and pose. Did all the women plan this? Did they use psychic powers to do this? Did they all somehow notice this all-woman group gathering in the middle of a battle with like thousands of bodies? It made no sense. The "Avengers Assemble" shot makes sense because that was a 'charge into battle' shot...everyone is grouped together. Imagine if partway through the battle they grouped up and did "Avengers Assemble!" It would be lame and illogical. You can shove a thousand women into a shot, that doesn't make it better. All it really said to me is that once Captain Marvel flew through that ship there was nothing else meaningful for the women to do, so they shoved them all into one scene. This used to always happen in professional wrestling...they would need a segment for the women, so they shove 8 of them in a tag team match just to get them out there for a meaningless match, and it was that kind of treatment that forced the fans to demand better treatment for the women, and four years later they became so popular they headlined Wrestlemania for the first time.

There were only two female characters who did anything really meaningful in Endgame: Black Widow, who died for the Soul Stone, and Nebula...who also died (kind of). Most of the female characters in the MCU suck. I don't usually agree with Slate, but they were on the ball in that article earlier in the thread about how poorly the women in the MCU are written. Maybe a bunch of lackluster characters on screen at once does it for you, and that's great. But it did nothing for me except make me groan. It was there to pander. It was artificially created to get a 'yay women' reaction. It's a shame there wasn't a single organic moment to offer such a reaction in the other 180 minutes of the film. The shot was like table scraps.

And you're right, I've never picked up a comic book outside of The Walking Dead. I don't really care for superheroes all that much. See, Endgame was some big emotional rollercoaster for you and that's great. For me, it was something that filled up 3 hours of my afternoon yesterday and I've barely even thought about it today. I felt nothing when Black Widow died because she wasn't an interesting character and I wanted to shout YYYEEAAAHHHH when Iron Man died because I've been wanting to see him die for years. It didn't make me feel anything. I got a nice little 'aw, that's nice' for Captain America at the end, but that's it. I surely didn't feel this battle in this movie was more coherent than in Infinity War. There was clear structure to the battle in Infinity War, an escalation, a logical progression, and it felt desperate, like they needed to win...and the ending proved they did need to win. In Endgame, everyone shows up at once, a big donnybrook happens, and the only progression is when Captain Marvel shows up, then it's back to a donnybrook. In Infinity War there was a strategy, a plan, the battle slowly escalated and became bigger, characters were introduced into the battle progressively, and then Thanos arrived and they fought him. This final battle everything got thrown at the wall...I compare Infinity War's battle like the expertly created Battle of Helm's Deep in Two Towers, and Endgame's one like the CGI mess in Return of the King (which had a far better girl power moment too). The most exciting part of that whole big battle was when all the Doctor Strange portals opened up and everyone showed up. And then they started fighting and meh. Cap/Iron Man/Thor vs. Thanos was far more entertaining to me. As was Scarlett Witch facing off with Thanos.

The difference between us is a one big splash page shot does it for you in terms of girl power. I get more girl power out of well-written, interesting characters that do things that are important. It takes no effort at all to film a group shot. It takes a hell of a lot more effort to write good characters. There's nothing misogynist about wanting female characters to be written better. And I sure as heck am not going to applaud a franchise that waited 21 films to have one starring a female and then did a big group shot like it's some kind of an achievement.

I watch plenty of films with female leads. A female lead in a comic book movie means nothing to me. A shot of a bunch of women means nothing to me. Strong characters mean something to me. I'm glad it means something to you. That's great that it meant something for someone. But don't throw out a word like misogynist because other people feel differently about something. It's not as if I'm sitting here ranting about feminist propaganda or how women are ruining everything or anything. I just think that scene wasn't earned...it wasn't earned through years of well-written characters that are as popular or important as the male characters and it wasn't earned as a payoff to great story arcs. My favourite episode of The Walking Dead, The Same Boat, is basically a feminist story and a celebration of strong women, but it's earned after 6 years of Maggie and Carol being well-written, complex characters, and the one-episode appearances of the other women in the episode are extremely well-written and well performed. The scene to me was "look at all these female characters" instead of "look at all these great female characters". To me it was nothing more than a representation of how mediocre they all were and how under-utilized they all were as a whole.

I wish it meant something to me. Then I wouldn't feel as if all those women were shortchanged.

But at least Peter Rosenthal would be pleased with that final battle...he finally got almost an entire screen full of nothing but superheroes!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 96 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 ... LastLast