Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which FOUR deserve to move on to the next round?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

15 51.72%
  • Le Voyage dans la Lune

3 10.34%
  • Looper

12 41.38%
  • Solaris

5 17.24%
  • Sphere

8 27.59%
  • Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan

16 55.17%
  • Terminator 2

28 96.55%
  • Wall-E

15 51.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 2, Group F

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 2, Group F

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Le Voyage dans la Lune

Looper

Solaris

Sphere

Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan

Terminator 2

Wall-E

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, you know...

Looper
    Solaris
    Sphere

And, what was that last one? Hmm... oh yeah

TERMINATOR MOTHERF****** 2

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Going with:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Solaris
    Terminator 2
    Wall-E

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Star Trek II
    Terminator 2
    Wall-E

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

*Invasion
    *Trek
    *Terminator

sk

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Looper is falling behind...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Need more Solaris love!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Solaris
    Trek
    Terminator

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

T-2
    Wall-E
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Looper is falling behind...
    Oddly enough, I was only really keen on the first half of Looper, when it really explored the effects of time travel, past and future, as well as some really cool future-noir elements. The second half with the kid storyline just didn't quite gel for me, though. I'll check out a couple of the others in this round, but I've gotta warn ya, it might not get my vote on this one.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Can't believe The Wrath of Khan is in third place. How does that happen? Especially with Solaris there... barely...

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually thought Khan would be doing a lot better, if only because it seems to be a sci fi darling. I want to watch it but I typically don't like jumping ahead into a sequel if I haven't seen the originals, especially for one as mythology heavy as Star Trek.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that Khan finished right where it should have finished. It's great story telling.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I actually thought Khan would be doing a lot better, if only because it seems to be a sci fi darling. I want to watch it but I typically don't like jumping ahead into a sequel if I haven't seen the originals, especially for one as mythology heavy as Star Trek.
    Mate, don't worry too much about jumping in - you know who Kirk, Spock, McCoy are etc. and you pretty much have a fair idea of who Khan is, too. All backstory is given in the film. The film itself isn't even an actual sequel, at least not to the previous film - the writers and directors actually tried to distance themselves as much as possible from the previous film as much as possible. If you can find the episode Space Seed, what the film is actually a sequel to, then by all means, watch it, but skip Star Trek: The Motion Picture entirely.

I guess what I'm trying to say is JUST SEE IT ALREADY!!!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

OK FINE GOSH

Let me add it to the queue.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The original series only ran for 3 seasons. 80 50-minute episodes and hardly a dull moment.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Balance of Terror is definitely my favourite ep so far. The tenseness of the ship-to-ship scenes made me love it as much as Wrath of Khan.

- Melike

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a noted episode. Fitting with your interest in gritty confrontation. All different styles were used. It's practically an anthology. For that reason, there's really no single best jumping-on point. It's nice to have the background on various elements of the mythology, like Khan's origin in Earth's past, but that's summed up well enough in the movie. The basic thrust is that Enterprise already survived many dangers. On multiple occasions during their five-year missions, she was present when sister ships were destroyed. Kirk and his crew are renowned by the time the movies take place; that's all you need to know. If you want to see long close-ups of the ship's post-mission upgrades then by all means, go ahead and watch the first film. They hadn't yet gotten the hang of subtly inserting special effects into drama, there's a lot of "Look how much money we spent!" and the whole moral is that Kirk, Spock and McCoy are better off together and in action.

It is fascinating (if you'll pardon the expression) how the key dynamic in Star Trek is reflected in Star Wars. Lucas always was a Trek fan and it's not surprising that as leading examples of SF they are both chiefly concerned with advancing Western civilization. Vader and the Empire are ultimate symbols of opponents to the Federation and the constant need to protect democracy from various faults in personal character from within. The culture of the Vulcan species represets Eastern detachment (primarily Buddhist) which is paralleled by the Jedi teachings of Yoda. Luke's desire to leave the farm he grew up on corresponds to Kirk's dissatisfaction when assigned to a desk job. And McCoy's defense of sensitivity to human personality, so approriate to a doctor, is most clearly epitomized by the Living Force of the maverick Qui-Gon, but actually appeared centrally in subtext much sooner.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I appreciate the feedback, gentlemen. I'll ponder that.

Come on, one more vote for Looper to at least get a tie breaker!

Country
    Country Flag

The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers is much better than Looper. That said, Solaris is much better than either, and it's way behind. No fair.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sphere
    T2
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looper and Terminator 2. I saw the re-make of Solaris, thinking that it was the one nominated, and didn't like it enough to go back and watch the original.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

So here's where Solaris exits. Too bad

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    So here's where Solaris exits. Too bad
    Just couldn't stand up to the engrossing dramatic nuance of the Wall-E
    cartoon.

+ Reply to Thread