• War of the Worlds (1953)

14 51.85%
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past

12 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 2, Group C

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Default Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 2, Group C

Note: Please choose up to 4 films
    Blade Runner

Chronicle

Frankenstein

Ghostbusters

Pi

The Thing

War of the Worlds {1953}

X-Men : Days of Future Past
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Blade Runner
    Frankenstein
    War of the Worlds
    X-Men

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Blade Runner (still in my top 5 favourite films ever)
    Chronicle (dark and one of the better takes on the 'superpower in the real world' films)
    The Thing (claustrophobic and dealing with a very scary apocalyptic threat in a small setting, plus amazing effects make me love this as a scifi film as well as a horror)
    X-Men: Days of Future Past (I just fucking love the use of time travel in this movie, particularly for exploring characters like Charles Xavier both at their wisest and at their most fucked up points in their lives, and how past and future can clash)

Really tempted to vote for Ghostbusters in this round, but decided not to only because I don't tend to think of it as 'scifi'. 'Supernatural' would be a better label, I think.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voted

Blade Runner
    The Thing
    War of the Worlds

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

*Blade Runner
    *Frankenstein
    *The Thing

sk

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Chronicle
    Pi
    War of the Worlds
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Tough grouping. I wish there were a way the groups could be more well-rounded. Either the A or B round two groups really sucked.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I just voted for the valid nominations; that makes it easy. I mean, yes, Chronicle is science fiction technically, but technically so is Superman. (Which was, I think, shot down in our pre-nominating phase.) I think it would be interesting if movies of similar type were grouped head-to-head with the winner from e.g. a larger set of superhero films going on to face top choice of post-apocalypse, top alien invasion, and etc. What usually happens instead is that a weaker example of one can't make it far enough to meet other examples of the same archetype. Unless it's just a popular archetype in its own right. Or unless one of countless other random factors disrupt the theory. Evenly distributing some high quality and some low in each group is definitely not possible to orchestrate in any fair way, though, since determining general quality is supposed to be the whole goal of the tournament itself. The theory there is that low quality films should all have been voted out already. Until someone has a better idea, let's just pretend that's true. I might not agree with the group all the time, but I find the experience educational anyway.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well Chronicle is sci-fi just for the 'alien' object that gives them the powers but how technology affects minds, in this case a commentary of egregious self-documentation.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I truly hope Frankenstein receives more votes and moves on. The plot is sci-fi based and it is a beautifully tragic story.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I just voted for the valid nominations; that makes it easy. I mean, yes, Chronicle is science fiction technically, but technically so is Superman. (Which was, I think, shot down in our pre-nominating phase.) I think it would be interesting if movies of similar type were grouped head-to-head with the winner from e.g. a larger set of superhero films going on to face top choice of post-apocalypse, top alien invasion, and etc. What usually happens instead is that a weaker example of one can't make it far enough to meet other examples of the same archetype. Unless it's just a popular archetype in its own right. Or unless one of countless other random factors disrupt the theory. Evenly distributing some high quality and some low in each group is definitely not possible to orchestrate in any fair way, though, since determining general quality is supposed to be the whole goal of the tournament itself. The theory there is that low quality films should all have been voted out already. Until someone has a better idea, let's just pretend that's true. I might not agree with the group all the time, but I find the experience educational anyway.
    I agree that lower quality may have been voted out, but sometimes groups get loaded, with good and bad, which hurts the whole.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I agree that lower quality may have been voted out, but sometimes groups get loaded, with good and bad, which hurts the whole.
    Films were sorted based on how they ranked in the previous phase. I grouped them into 'tiers' with movies scoring (for example) 30-25 in one tier, 25-20 in another and so on and so forth. There is one film from each tier in every single group and I labored over them to make sure they were as even as possible.

Any notion of groups being loaded is probably down to bias/personal preference.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

So what you're saying Fernie is that you rigged it

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

fuck off

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You could rearrange them to be more balanced for one person and I guarantee that THAT would look less balanced to someone somewhere. But it shouldn't really hurt anything, anyway. You ought to expect to be choosing the worst from a list that are not so good at some point in a game like this, and choosing between a solid list of favorites is also something you'd have to do eventually. If a better one is eliminated a bit earlier than it would have been if placed against weaker choices, they still don't have any better chance to beat the film that beat the one you think they would have lost to, do they?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Well Chronicle is sci-fi just for the 'alien' object that gives them the powers but how technology affects minds, in this case a commentary of egregious self-documentation.
    Does that mean that ALL of the "found footage" style movies should be defined as science fiction?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Does that mean that ALL of the "found footage" style movies should be defined as science fiction?
    Chronicle isn't technically a found footage movie. What we see is a combination of police cameras, security cameras, various handheld cameras, news cameras. If it was found footage that meant someone would have had to have found it, compiled and edited it all, not to mention
    Spoiler:
    the camera was left on top of a mountain, doubt it was found and the original camera from the first parts of the movie was trapped underground
    (which is the most interesting question of all...who edited and compiled what we're watching?). Blair Witch - Making a documentary. REC - News crew/swat cameras/handheld, Last Exorcism - making a documentary, The Fourth Kind - making a documentary, Cloverfield - was documenting a farewell party and then recording what happened after: these have nothing to do with with self-documentation at all. Chronicle is about a kid who buys a camera to film his own miserable life that he feels no one else can see and he intends on filming everything no matter how strange it makes him seem to everyone else; using his powers he films himself lying in bed, not even doing anything, yet he still films himself and he becomes so obsessed with filming himself when he
    Spoiler:
    goes beserk he pulls cameras and cell phones out of peoples hands and surrounds himself with cameras filming him
    A lot of the movie is commentary on self-documenting and self importance and that if something is being documented it becomes important (he feels he isn't important at all) until he gets powerful enough he documents himself, and monologues to the camera, about himself being an Apex Predator.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It 's an interesting style. I still don't think of it as a great sci-fi movie.

Just another way of presenting a very old plot.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It is more a combination of various genres (Which sci-fi is known for a lot anyways, often with horror/action/adventure) I agree. I'd consider it a superhero film if it was based off any previous superhero material. It's kind of like 28 Days Later...some people don't consider it a zombie movie because they aren't actually zombies even though the film follows the tropes of zombie horror. What I admire about Chronicle (besides being a launching pad for some good young actors) is it's fresh take on tropes as old as storytelling itself like man being corrupted by power and every time I watch it I discover a new layer to it. I still think it's a better superhero movie than most superhero films lol

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

As I said, tho, I think half the nominees on this thread are out of place. I don't mean to pick on Chronicle that much. It is an okay movie. Another example is Pi. It's basically about effects doing science can have. Whether that's actually sci-fi I can't quite decide.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Pi is as realistic as sci-fi can get. I only saw it the one time two years ago so I can't comment too much on it. I think the least sci-fi thing on here is The Thing. It's a horror movie that happens to have an alien life form. The most scientific they get in the film pretty much is using petrie dishes to put blood in lol.

Days of Future Past has time travel but it's still just a mutant power...there is no science in the movie at all aside from the sentinels and even they only received perfunctory explanations. Out of all the X-Men the original is the most sci-fi imo.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

…It's a horror movie that happens to have an alien life form.
    A fair argument, except that the first rule we agreed on was that Horror Sci-Fi is allowed. I'm not opposed on general principle to superhero movies: it just doesn't seem right to vote for one or two when so many others were given no chance. Furthermore, just for the sake of argument, I think that a genetic time travel mechanism as hypothesized by "Days of Future Past" (the "X-Men" comic, originally) and The Butterfly Effect is more plausible scientifically than the fantastic implication of Somewhere In Time that anybody can travel through time if hypnotized.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah, and regarding the absurdities of incidental science in The Thing, it is fairly common for B-movie computers to provide incredibly specific information for the plot that would, when you think about it, require tremendously sophisticated programming. That is especially funny if you rewatch an old movie nowadays and get a fresh look at the graphics that those machines were actually capable of.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Frankenstein needs more love! If you vote for him he will be happy to come over and pick some flowers and teach you to swim.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When embedding YouTube videos, remove the s in https.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast