Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King to speak at Manatee library fundraiser

Gunslinger Apprentice KingKorn will become famous soon enough KingKorn will become famous soon enough KingKorn's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired

I live quite near Bradenton and would really consider the possibility of splitting a 6 way "Silver Sponsor" package.

Details here: http://www.manateelibraryfoundation....ing-event4.pdf

My first instinct was to buy a Silver package, use 2 tix for me and wife, and then sell the other 4 on Craigslist or Ebay. Think people would shell out ~$425 for a private reception with SK and a VIP ticket to the event?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by KingKornKarn View Post
    I live quite near Bradenton and would really consider the possibility of splitting a 6 way "Silver Sponsor" package.

Details here: http://www.manateelibraryfoundation....ing-event4.pdf

My first instinct was to buy a Silver package, use 2 tix for me and wife, and then sell the other 4 on Craigslist or Ebay. Think people would shell out ~$425 for a private reception with SK and a VIP ticket to the event?
    PM sent.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Only 1 ticket left.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

We need one more person to commit to seeing Stephen King at the Manatee Library!!! PM Randal Flagg NoW dont miss an opportunity of a life time.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay...Jan. 29th is my daughter's second birthday so my idea of attending was a NO from the begining, until my girlfriend told me that the three of us could go. Do you think Helena (2 years old on that day) would require a ticket as well to enter?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do you plan on asking a signed book for her birthday? Something like Eyes of the dragon that you could read to her in a few years? :p
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, after learning that the first package is sold out, I'll take a flight on November to attend the signings I can and well...no M&G.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

TheDarkTower.org : gold partner, that's great!
    Reputation points sent to RF !
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.bradenton.com/2015/01/30/...bradenton.html
    Wherever he goes, Stephen King said, people come up to him and say: "You scare the hell out of me."

And they follow it with: "Can I have a hug?"

"At some point of my career," the author told a capacity crowd Thursday night at the Manatee Performing Arts Center, "I became America's best-loved bogey man."

King doesn't do too many charity events, but when representatives of the Library Foundation, which supports the Manatee County Public Library System, wrote last spring asking him to speak at an annual author event, he agreed. Individual tickets went for $200, and Stone Hall sold out within three weeks.

The foundation met its goal of raising $100,000, just through ticket sales, and thousands more from raffled collectibles.

The crowd consisted mostly of Bradenton-area residents, but others came from as far away as California, Canada and even Argentina for the event.

Ariel Bosi and his friend, Federico Axat, came from Buenos Aires just to hear King speak. They spent six days here, and took time to see places King, a seasonal Bradenton-area resident, mentions in his writing.

"He's the greatest collector (of King items) in Argentina," Axat said of his friend.

They're members of a website for King fans called thedarktower.org. The met in Bradenton with about 20 website members, including Rick Smith of California, Kris and Chantal Webster of Nova Scotia and several other people from the east coast of Florida.

"Groups of us get tickets," Smith said. "We get tickets for one another. We're fans. King's a great writer and a great speaker."

King mingled with guests at a private reception before his presentation, then went to collect his thoughts for a half-hour or so before he came on stage.

"We're not at home watching television," he told the crowd. "We're not at the movies. We're not playing video games. We're here because we love to read."

He spoke of his childhood, growing up without much money in the Maine countryside, in an area with no library.

"I had a hunger for books," he said. He lived for the days when the bookmobile would come to his neighborhood and he could replenish his supply of novels.

One of the questions he said he's asked most often: "Where do you get your ideas?"

He said the answer isn't as intriguing as people hope.

"The fact is that the ideas come from everywhere," he said. "But I like to tell people that there's this little ideas shop in Utica where you can get second-hand ideas."

The actual process of developing ideas is still a bit mystical, he said.

"There's a moments when there are two ideas in your head, and there's a moment when those two ideas come together," he said. "And that is why still I do this job."

King talked for about 45 minutes, ambling around the stage with a hand-held microphone and occasionally stretching out. His tone was amiable, though his speech was peppered with R-rated language.

Although he seemed to be enjoying himself onstage, he said he was uncomfortable with his public persona and felt like an impostor.

"I don't have the greatest self-image," he said. "The man who wrote those books is not here because he doesn't do public. He sends me instead. There is someone inside who does this job and he doesn't come out in public."

King didn't take a fee and donated collectible autographed books to be raffled and auctioned, which raised thousands for the Library Foundation.

The money raised from the King event, together with $150,000 in matching funds from the county, will pay for a new computer system for the library.
    http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...g_speaks_.html
    Bradenton book lovers recently got a big treat when Stephen King took part in a fundraiser to raise money for literacy.

The author made a special appearance Thursday night at the Manatee Performing Arts Center to help raise money for the Manatee County Library System.

"I’m totally in awe that he been as generous as he has,” said Jane Plitt, President of the Manatee Library Foundation Inc.

Plitt organized the event called "An Evening with Stephen King." She said they were able to get King to help them out after taking a risk to contact him.

"A friend of mine knew we had a goal of trying to raise $100,000," said Plitt. “So, she suggested that she could get a letter to Mr. King when he signed books in Sarasota. We wrote the letter and he actually read the letter. He responded and agreed to come. The letter suggested that we are an award-winning system that needed to upgrade their operating system and he understood. We were the little engine that could."

Only three weeks after being publicly announced, the event sold out and the foundation reached its fundraiser goal.

The money is being used help overhaul the Library System’s online operating system.

"It enables us to purchase us that backbone library computer system that will take us into next century,” said Ava Ehde, the Library Services for Manager Manatee Libraries. “People will now be able to jump into an eBook, they can pay their bills on-line, and they can request books online.”

Prior to speaking the group of more than 300 people, King mingled with his fans. He shook hands with them, talked to them and even took several pictures.

It was a sold-out crowd that attracted people from all over the world.

“I took the opportunity from this event and we travelled with all the family from Israel,” said Shachar Crouvi, who was at the event with his 9-year old daughter. Both are from Israel. They said they planned a whole family vacation around the opportunity to see King in Bradenton.

In addition to the special appearance, King donated signed, rare, first-edition books to raffle off to raise even more money.

King’s books have sold more than 350 million copies worldwide. His most popular titles include "Carrie," "The Shining," "The Stand," "Misery," "It" and "The Dark Tower." He has received the World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement, the Grand Master Award from the Mystery Writers of America along with numerous writing awards in the fields of fantasy, fiction, horror and mystery writing.

The new on-line operating system should be in place by late fall. For more information about the Manatee County Public Library System, visit www.mymanatee.org/library.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great Press!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What Scares Stephen King - Bradenton Florida

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Entire King speech:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for that. King needs to freshen up his routine.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Someone pointed out that his routine was focused for 50-or-so years old females that attended the venue. I couldn't agree more with that
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Someone pointed out that his routine was focused for 50-or-so years old females that attended the venue. I couldn't agree more with that
    Personally, I think you should be grateful that you got to attend this event and actually witness Stephen King talking live. I would have been absolutely thrilled to attend this event, given half the chance to do so.

Had I been lucky enough to actually go to this event, I certainly wouldn't now start bemoaning his "routine".

Such comments should be beneath you.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Personally, I think you should be grateful that you got to attend this event and actually witness Stephen King talking live. I would have been absolutely thrilled to attend this event, given half the chance to do so.

Had I been lucky enough to actually go to this event, I certainly wouldn't be bemoaning his "routine".

I witnessed King live in 2009 and his talk was superior to this one. For that one I paid U$S 35 if I remember correctly, I was six mts away from him, the talk lasted for more than 1:30 hour and his answers were both for fans and fresh ones. I bought 4 copies of Under the Dome signed by him and could have purchased more if I had more space. The organization was SUPER for that event and all the ones involved were really polite.

For this one I paid $400 and there were only few things in his speech that I didn't hear before (Bucket List, UR and crabs). It lasted less than an hour and organization...well, everyone knows already how it went.

So I think I can complain if I want to
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Had I been lucky enough to actually go to this event, I certainly wouldn't now start bemoaning his "routine".

We are always grateful to attend a SK event! He does so few in a year and its always awesome to attend! Ari's insight into the event is necessary documentation for future event goers and for people who plan to attend can know what to expect if/when another event occurs! Ari and many others have mixed feelings about this event because of the ticket expense and promises made and not delivered. The organizers did not see a difference in getting a signed copy of revival and actually having SK sign a copy of revival in front of you! People travelled a great distance to see him and talk to him! They ended up seeing him only.

SK has told some of the same great stories in the past! If you look through the CASTLE Rock newsletters you will see some of same stories there (20-30 years ago). Having attended 13 events in the last 4 1/2 years, some of the stories are repeated, but then you get gems like Joe Hill being handcuffed to the bed! The giant crab and his new puppy! More Dark Tower and expanded UR story for Bazaar of Bad Dreams!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Thanks for that. King needs to freshen up his routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

We are always grateful to attend a SK event! He does so few in a year and its always awesome to attend! Ari's insight into the event is necessary documentation for future event goers and for people who plan to attend can know what to expect if/when another event occurs! Ari and many others have mixed feelings about this event because of the ticket expense and promises made and not delivered. The organizers did not see a difference in getting a signed copy of revival and actually having SK sign a copy of revival in front of you! People travelled a great distance to see him and talk to him! They ended up seeing him only.

SK has told some of the same great stories in the past! If you look through the CASTLE Rock newsletters you will see some of same stories there (20-30 years ago). Having attended 13 events in the last 4 1/2 years, some of the stories are repeated, but then you get gems like Joe Hill being handcuffed to the bed! The giant crab and his new puppy! More Dark Tower and expanded UR story for Bazaar of Bad Dreams!
    Hey, he's getting older and really doesn't "have" to do these things anymore. I am of the opinion that what he does these days are more for his fans than any personal gain. I think I offered a good perspective in this post...

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post899090

It is, what it is, is the bottom line. He does, what he wants at this point in his life and who could really blame him? Just be thankful for what you get, while bittersweet perhaps, it is the only way to look at it, I suppose.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Indeed, the video seemed to be only stuff repeated over and over, but... I guess that most people do not follow each of his events and therefore, it's relevant for 90% of the audience.
    Still an opportunity to see him live which is good I believe

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have met SK twice at book signings. One in London and one in Paris. Both events were of the "Stand in Line, get a book signed" variety and I have never seen him present on stage like he does in the video. For me most of the material was "new" and I enjoyed watching it. Those of you in the US have had considerably more frequent access to him with events like these. You may have heard the routine many times, but you also have a lot more signed books!

As a comparison, I went to a lot of concerts in the 80's and saw the same band over and over as they released a new album each year. Recently those same bands (Simple Minds, Ultravox, Genesis,The Police, etc) have reformed/regrouped and have done 'new' tours. 90% of their set was 'old' stuff I had heard many times before.... I loved every minute of it
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Boy, Stevie really loves to tell that story about the old lady in the supermarket who didn't believe he had written Shawshank. I've seen him tell that tale at least ten times now. Cracks me up every time though! Same thing goes for the story about his first book tour, in Pittsburgh, and being asked for an autograph while sitting on the can.

Interesting that he said IT and 11/22/63 when asked what was his favorite book that he wrote. He usually responds with Lisey's Story.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cordial Jim View Post

Interesting that he said IT and 11/22/63 when asked what was his favorite book that he wrote. He usually responds with Lisey's Story.
    Yes. I think Tabitha pissed him off the day before....

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordial Jim View Post

Yes. I think Tabitha pissed him off the day before....
    Well, in her defense he did forget to take out the trash and put the seat back down........

Spoiler:
    AGAIN!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill, you can't LOL on your own joke...especially if it fails...
    Spoiler:
    LOL

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Bill, you can't LOL on your own joke...especially if it fails...
    Spoiler:
    LOL
    LOL Fixed.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast