Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Choose UP TO 6 films that deserve to move on to the next round!

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sphere

10 33.33%
  • The Thing From Another World

7 23.33%
  • The Jacket

3 10.00%
  • The Fifth Element

17 56.67%
  • Escape From New York

16 53.33%
  • Rollerball

3 10.00%
  • Kin-Dza-Dza

2 6.67%
  • Minority Report

20 66.67%
  • Independence Day

22 73.33%

8 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1, Group P

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1, Group P

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Coming soon:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just five for me:

The Jacket
    The Fifth Element
    Kin-Dza-Dza
    Minority Report
    Independence Day

Country
    Country Flag

Most people have never heard of it, much less seen it, but here’s why you should vote for Kin-Dza-Dza! I can give you stats, such as the fact that it’s rated an 8.3 on IMDB (Blade Runner is rated 8.2) and is ranked at #18 overall amongst IMDB’s top-rated sci-fi films of all time. But that doesn’t mean too much. Hopefully the fan-created trailer posted above can spark your initial interest, but if you have about two hours to spare while this poll is ongoing, why not go ahead and watch the full film on YouTube. Unfortunately, this film never really made it outside Russia, when it was originally released in 1986. Apparently, it made a bit of a splash later in Japan, and is somewhat known there. However, until 2006 or so there had never been a version of the film available (legally or not) for English-speaking audiences. While knowledge of Kin-Dza-Dza! had up till then been slowly growing, some fans uploaded a poor-quality DVD rip of the film up on Google Video with fan-made subtitles, because the DVD officially released in Russia did not have them. Since then the film’s fame grew, and recently the film was restored in Russia and released in HD on Blu-ray. Meanwhile, in 2011, Mosfilm, the studio that owns the film and released it on DVD and Blu-ray, actually uploaded the whole film to their YouTube channel, with English subtitles to boot (sadly, not in HD). This makes it the best and easiest way for anyone curious to watch the film. And it deserves to be watched so much. Yes, it’s a foreign-language film with subtitles, and sometimes they can speak a tad too fast so the subtitles either don’t catch everything or go by pretty quickly. That doesn’t matter, because it’s so rewatchable, you can keep picking up little pieces here and there that you missed on the first or second go. You should watch it, because it’s so fucking great! It’s a completely original film, a unique idea, and it’s really difficult to compare it to any other similar type of movie. I’ve seen comments from people who’ve compared it to The Road Warrior and Waterworld and Brazil and so on, but there’s really not a lot it could be compared to. It’s a space/time-travel movie with nearly no special effects, yet it’s a completely alien world. That’s a testament to the great production design, costumes, and other background folks that made it happen. And, of course, the acting. The score is great, too, and so is the script. The story itself is pretty simple: two ordinary guys accidentally get teleported from Earth to a planet in another galaxy. They’re trying to get back home. That’s pretty much the gist of it, but everything hinges on execution, and the director nails it. One of the great decisions that were made when making this film was to not explain anything. Just as our main characters are plucked from their lives in Russia and transported unknown light-years away in a split second, the audience too has to navigate the alien world without any knowledge or real understanding of what’s going on. Little by little small details begin making some semblance of sense, and halfway through you’re pretty much up to speed, just like the characters. It is truly a crime that this film isn’t likely to receive any wide acclaim, but it’s right there for anyone to watch and enjoy. Although, things have changed since 2006 and Kin-Dza-Dza! is receiving more and more notice. Last year, it was screened at the University of Iowa, as part of their International Writing Program. And it’s getting more and more general online notice now that it’s freely, legally, and easily available subtitled on YouTube.

Here are some fun links:

And since Kin-Dza-Dza! was uploaded in two parts by Mosfilm, here are the two YouTube links (if the subtitles don’t automatically turn on, click the CC button on the YouTube interface):

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sphere, The Fifth Element... scraping the bottom of the barrel!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Fifth Element was pretty good until Chris Tucker showed up. Then it became unwatchable.

Actually, that pretty much sums up every movie that contains Chris Tucker.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Only movie with Chris Tucker I like besides Friday. His performance is almost a parody of himself and he owns most of the good quotes. It was super-green.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Haven't voted because I want to try and watch Kin-Dza-Dza first. As of now though only going to vote for Minority Report and The Fifth Element. Sphere is one of those films I re-watched plenty of times as a kid on the black box but don't remember too well so going to try and re-watch that to see if it's worthy.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If Sphere was able to recreate everything contained within the novel it would be one of the greatest science fiction films ever made. Unfortunately, cinema is limited in that way and many of the minor details which help fully round out the story get lost in the shuffle. Still, some of the themes which take a larger slice of the pie do manage through shine through and more importantly, the moral conundrum at the heart of the story is kept intact.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Unwatchable. It's so staged and awkward there's no way to suspend disbelief. You just feel sorry for the actors trying to make it work.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Kin-Dza-Dza is one of the best films ever. Too bad only pablo and bears watched it.

Also, I forgot to vote for The Jacket (my nominee). Heather or feverish, can you please edit the poll, adding my vote manually? Not that it will change anything, though.

Bears are still not allowed to the computer more than a couple minutes a day. Love you all.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sphere is the only one here to get a vote from me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    You won't venture and give Kin-Dza-Dza a try?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey check this out, there's 4 different sellers selling mint conditions copies of Kin Dza Dza for $15

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Country
    Country Flag

Good deal, I wonder if it has better subtitles.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Minority Report should be winning, not ID-4 lol.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree lol, but ID4 is not entirely without merit. Sure, there's enough cheese on there to slab on your ham sandwich, but it had a few tricks up its sleeve in the design department. I always thought the visual concept behind the aliens was very well done, and I absolutely LOVE the aerial battles ("Eagle 20, Fox 2!").

Besides, Jeff Goldblum defeats a race of aliens with infinitely superior technology using like a Windows 95. Talk about fiction!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Honest Trailer for Independence Day:

http://youtu.be/7YtvsxB9xQY

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I ♥ Honest Trailers.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You don't need an honest trailer for Independence Day if you have seen Mars Attacks!

Jean: We're definitely missing your input! Hope you feel better…

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Besides, Jeff Goldblum defeats a race of aliens with infinitely superior technology using like a Windows 95. Talk about fiction!
    He was using an Apple powerbook.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh I know, I was being facetious. Windows 95 sounds funnier

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    You won't venture and give Kin-Dza-Dza a try?
    Is this based on the film you guys are talking about? It's directed by the same guy who directed Kin-Dza-Dza. Also, does the film have an American name, sometimes I think that's why some of the Russian films don't catch on. Most people don't recognize the film Dip huet seung hung, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people know it's English name, The Killer, one of the best gangster films of all time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2659374/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I ♥ Honest Trailers.

Yeah, I bookmarked the site. That was pretty funny, Matts!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

5th Element is a memorable movie. Not only is the story fantastic, but the visuals are mind blowing. I recall using the DVD as a reference after calibrating my Mitsubishi 65903 (65" RPTV-Purchased in May 1998; no real content then). At that time DVD's were 480i, but it still looked marvelous. I've since watched it in 1080P and it has held up well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast