Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Choose UP TO 6 films that deserve to move on to the next round!

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • E.T The Extra Terrestrial

21 75.00%
  • On The Beach

4 14.29%
  • The Matrix

26 92.86%
  • Things to Come

3 10.71%
  • The Butterfly Effect

10 35.71%
  • Alien

28 100.00%
  • About Time

2 7.14%
  • Demolition Man

9 32.14%
  • Colossus 'The Forbin' Project

2 7.14%
  • Chronicle

10 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament -- Round 1, Group O

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Sci-Fi Tournament -- Round 1, Group O

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Matrix and Alien, because obviously.

Demolition Man is a guilty pleasure

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Coming soon:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Going with:

E.T.
    On The Beach
    The Matrix
    Things to Come
    The Butterfly Effect
    Alien

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

ET is still an incredibly beautiful story that left its mark on a lot of films since, The Matrix is a virtually perfect blend of action, science fiction and deep philisophical themes (and while the sequels weren't that great, I can appreciate where the filmmakers wanted to go, at least), Alien is by far one of my favourite movies of science fiction and horror ever made, and Chronicle really surprised me. It's got some inspiration from the superhero genre, but feels quite a bit more grounded than most takes, and I love the suspense there is in it throughout. So it easily gets my vote here.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Matrix and Alien only.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

You have to give some love to the three seashells.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Matrix
    Alien
    Demolition Man (my nom)
    Chronicle (my nom)

I think I nominated 12 films almost half of them got into two groups....it's a C-O-Nspiracy!

Demolition Man rules and for a fun action movie it has a lot of palpable commentary that shows the extremes of political correctness and 'being nice' lol/

The Matrix is a classic sci-fi film but compared to other films (as I imagine it will advance) I won't be giving it my vote in crunch times.

Alien is about as classic as you can get for a sci-fi film and there are few films that have influenced multiple genres as heavily as Alien has. It's easily a sci-fi masterpiece as well as a horror masterpiece which is the rarest of rares.

Chronicle shows superpowers like how comic book films wish they could have. This is THE comic book origin film that has no comic book origin. The (alien?) technology that made them what they are is never fully explained which is okay since all that matters anyways is how it affects us psychologically. Also a very unique and clever twist on found footage films which, after seeing the film 5 or 6 times as left me asking....who/what editted what we are watching?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

They were talking about remaking The Forbin Project for a couple of years. I thought it might be for the best when it fell through cause I doubted they could do better than the original, -it's a product of another era- but if nobody recognizes that classic, then maybe it should be remade. If that's what it takes to get attention.

Country
    Country Flag

I hope The Butterfly Effect gets enough votes to move on, it's a very strong and underrated film.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The matrix wins.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

After Alien, The Matrix is the best film on here. That film just took the world by storm. It's a shame the sequels were never able to live up to the name.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    After Alien, The Matrix is the best film on here. That film just took the world by storm. It's a shame the sequels were never able to live up to the name.

Oh, IDK. Reloaded has long been my favorite Matrix film. "Hmmm, upgrades" and the Marovingian scene in the restaurant is a classic as is the "Freeway" chase.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree "Reloaded" has some good scenes and nice effects, but it doesn't have resolution and structure to stand beside the first film, which is good on its own. As a trilogy, the better parts ultimately drown in a mishmash of pretension.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

For me, one of the primary reasons the sequels could never match the original is that Neo is ridiculously overpowered, neutering the suspense.

Some of the best segments of the first film were the members of the resistance very narrowly escaping the virtual clutches of the omni present Agents. The bit where the team scales down the inner wall of the hotel to avoid capture was dripping with tension. All of that gets diluted in the sequels were Neo can single-handedly dispose of a platoon of Agents, seemingly effortlessly.

I can see where that might have been an organic evolution of the narrative, but it came at the cost of a crucial element.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

For me, one of the primary reasons the sequels could never match the original is that Neo is ridiculously overpowered, neutering the suspense.

Some of the best segments of the first film were the members of the resistance very narrowly escaping the virtual clutches of the omni present Agents. The bit where the team scales down the inner wall of the hotel to avoid capture was dripping with tension. All of that gets diluted in the sequels were Neo can single-handedly dispose of a platoon of Agents, seemingly effortlessly.

I can see where that might have been an organic evolution of the narrative, but it came at the cost of a crucial element.
    I understand what you mean, Ferny but are you telling me you weren't mesmerized by the Marovingian? Or gripping your seat when they hit the "Freeway"? Or engrossed in the the closing scenes? Just a little? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, absolutely I do! The highway chase scene in Reloaded is probably my favorite set piece of the entire series. That entire segment is high concept executed with verve and imagination. Trinity navigating and zig zagging through incoming traffic was nicely choreographed and is always a pleasure to watch.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Butterfly Effect
    Alien
    Chronicle

I absolutely loved About Time, but don't consider it sci-fi at all so I couldn't vote for it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Utterly surprised by the votes for Demolition Man. To me it's a really bad '90s flick. Suppose it's that so-bad-it's-good variety?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This.

You'll never beat a film that shows the progression of a regular guy that learns he is special and then that journey of him finding who he really is. That alone makes The Matrix the best film in the series. I know it's a cliche story arc that has been done a million times, but it just works perfectly here. I also think The Matrix is great because you are learning about this world. Once the second and third films come around, we already know about the real world and the matrix.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I absolutely loved About Time, but don't consider it sci-fi at all so I couldn't vote for it.
    Well it does have time travel. What would you consider that to be, fantasy, magic realism?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

There are countless romantic fantasy films not really grounded in science. Big, Prelude to a Kiss, The Invention of Lying ...and plenty involving "time travel" e.g. 13 Going on 30. Let's list more! Everybody contribute until this page is full, at least -- Contest threads still on their first page are all so hard for me to view with my DROID ever since my polite request to spoiler-tag groups of videos was ignored.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Contest threads still on their first page are all so hard for me to view with my DROID ever since my polite request to spoiler-tag groups of videos was ignored.
    I do apologize for the inconvenience, but after I did that and tried viewing them on my iPad, the videos within spoilers were distorted. They didn't fit within the spoiler field and so part of one side was cut off.

Country
    Country Flag

So looks like Alien is another one of our 100% films. As expected, I guess, since it was the winner of the Horror tournament.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast