Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Choose UP TO 6 films to move on to the next round!

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan

20 68.97%
  • Hugo

4 13.79%
  • Dark Star

3 10.34%
  • The Road Warrior

16 55.17%
  • Je t'aime, je t'aime

2 6.90%
  • Moon

10 34.48%
  • This Island Earth

4 13.79%
  • Pitch Black

20 68.97%
  • Star Wars Episode IV : A New Hope

25 86.21%
  • Somewhere In Time

8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament -- Round 1, Group I

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Star Trek II: Not my favourite Trek film, it's number three behind First Contact and my favourite Voyage Home, but it's still very solid. The ear wig scene is tough to forget lol

Pitch Black: This film kicks ass. I'm a sucker for monster movies and with the western feel it has it just completes it. Wicked monsters, Awesome premise. Competently acted enough to make me think Vin Diesel was the shit until I found he was just mediocore. David Twohy (Basic Instinct, The Arrival, Perfect Getaway) is one of the best genre filmmakers out there.

Moon: Wanted to see this so bad in theatres but I had to go all the way to Northern Toronto to see is so NOPE. It's always the films I want to see more than the rest that end up playing nowhere near me. Rockwell is one of my favourite actors and this is a movie that shows why. He's just so damn gifted and he demands your attention because there's no wasted motions in his performances. Very thoughtful sci-fi which is my favourite sci-fi.

Star Wars IV: I won't be voting for this one in the later rounds but it's still a classic which is more of a comedy than it's brooding, superior sequel. Will never get tired of listening to Treepio and Artoo yelling at each other, "he tricked me into going this way!" and, my favourite dialogue from the film:

"My friend, he doesn't like you."
    "I'm sorry."
    "I don't like you either. You should be careful. We're wanted men. I've got the death sentence of twelve systems."
    "I'll be careful."
    "YOU'LL BE DEAD!"
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen any Star Trek episode, nor any of the Star Trek movies pre J.J Abrams.

Can WoK be enjoyed as a stand alone film?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It should be, just like the 2009 Star Trek can be enjoyed without any prior knowledge. It's just better with it, of course.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Id say ST 2-4 can easily viewed as a nice little trilogy. Undiscovered Country is one I've seen many times growing up but mostly forget but I've heard from some it's their favourite Trek film.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I've never seen any Star Trek episode, nor any of the Star Trek movies pre J.J Abrams.

Can WoK be enjoyed as a stand alone film?
    I enjoyed WoK loads of times, long before I watched the ep of the original series Khan appeared (I have to admit, watching that episode was a little bit of a disappointment after seeing the awesomeness of Wrath so many times. It's a good Star Trek ep, but it's definitely far from the best, a bit cheesy at times, even for me, and you just know that's saying something, bro). Everything is given in the film, in fact, the fact that Khan was such a forgotten villain makes the film work so much more. Add to that some great character development with the main characters, Shatner giving a fucking restrained performance (based on his standards anyway, and the reports that the director forced him to take countless takes of certain lines until Shatner just got so exasperated that he just read it really don't surprise me in the slightest), and the one moment he doesn't gives us one of the most awesome moments in scifi movie history (come on, don't even fucking pretend you don't know it), and you've got a scifi classic in general, Star Trek or not, imo.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Moon gets my vote.

I was never a fan of Star Wars
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Moon gets my vote.

And that was the day our friendship ended.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Star Trek 2-4 is one story directly continued. 2 is action-drama and 4 is action-comedy. 3 is in between; an adventure movie of some drama and some comedy. I think it's my favorite, too.
    Skip the first one and Star Trek 5.
    Number 6, The Undiscovered Country, sets up Next Generation by bringing Klingons from enemies to allies. Kirk meets Picard through time travel in Star Trek: Generations. Then the second TNG movie, First Contact, used time travel again and another obscure character from a forgotten original series episode to re-set up the whole beginning of Star Trek. So even though there is not a similar continuing storyline between them, I consider these another trilogy for the persistent themes.
    After that, they just got self-indulgent - a problem Abrams did not cure. Out of the 12 ST movies, 6 are pretty good.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Moon gets my vote.

Star Trek is better than Star Wars.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

There's only one Star Wars. Trek has even more timelines than a poorly written comic.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Moon gets my vote.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Star Trek: Insurrection was awwwwwful.

Country
    Country Flag

Well I'm more of a TNG/DS9 series fan, not so much the movies.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Moon gets my vote.

In like, what universe are you referring?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

This is closing in an hour, but looks like our six here are set.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Country
    Country Flag

Really surprising that Pitch Black moves on with a whopping 20 votes. Totally unexpected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2