Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Choose UP TO 6 films that deserve to move on to the next round!

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Island of Lost Souls

6 20.00%
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

4 13.33%
  • Pi

5 16.67%
  • Never Let Me Go

3 10.00%
  • Edge of Tomorrow

10 33.33%
  • Solaris

11 36.67%
  • District 9

19 63.33%
  • Timecop

4 13.33%
  • Back to the Future I

28 93.33%
  • 20 Million Miles to Earth

3 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Sci-Fi Tournament - Round 1, Group E

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Too bad we didn't get Back to the Future II nominated, that's really my favorite, I feel it's a much better movie, but also the time travel aspect is much more complex with alternative timelines and going back to the first film. Just awesome stuff.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Too bad we didn't get Back to the Future II nominated, that's really my favorite, I feel it's a much better movie, but also the time travel aspect is much more complex with alternative timelines and going back to the first film. Just awesome stuff.
    Agreed

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Plus, hoverboards.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Yeah, we should have hoverboards and flying cars by next year.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And sneakers with power laces. And self-drying clothes.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

And the ability to cook a pizza in seconds.

"Hydrate level four, please."

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I think all of that stuff might actually happen before the Cubs win the WS.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

If the reason we don't have weather control and portable fusion is that Marty changed the timeline, then he had better be one damn fine guitarist by now!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Okay, fine: I'll grant you all that District 9 is at least worth one viewing. If you have a strong stomach. Still I'll be disappointed if it's voted higher than something like Children of Men.
    Agreed. I'm a huge fan of Children of Men. I know some people that couldn't stomach District 9 because they hate seafood and they said the aliens reminded them of shrimp (they were called prawns). That didn't bother me, then again I love shrimp.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Only 26 people votes here so far, while other polls have 30-31 voters. At least a couple more Nausicaä votes are in order, people!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Okay, fine: I'll grant you all that District 9 is at least worth one viewing. If you have a strong stomach. Still I'll be disappointed if it's voted higher than something like Children of Men.
    Agreed. I'm a huge fan of Children of Men. I know some people that couldn't stomach District 9 because they hate seafood and they said the aliens reminded them of shrimp (they were called prawns). That didn't bother me, then again I love shrimp.
    I didn't find District 9 to be overly gory. The fingernail scene...okay, I'll give that to the gore but when it comes to the action stuff I thought the gore was gritty and realistic and really helped the documentary aspect of the film. What keeps me coming back to District 9 is the allegory...best sci-fi allegory since Fantastic Planet imo.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

So you agree with me that it's built into the film's appeal. The matter of opinion is just whether gritty faux documentary is an especially favorable style. And to reiterate, I acknowledge the main allegory is somewhat redeeming, but I more admire Children of Men handling the issues with a slightly finer touch.

All that matters is that Back to the Future has one more vote since I last checked the polls.

Country
    Country Flag

Only 26 people votes here so far, while other polls have 30-31 voters. At least a couple more Nausicaä votes are in order, people!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*bump

this poll is closing tomorrow!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This poll is now closed.

The following films will be moving on

Island of Lost Souls
    Pi
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Solaris
    District 9
    Back to the Future I

Country
    Country Flag

Too bad that Pi moves on instead of Nausicaä, since it's not really sci-fi - not that I want to restart that conversation again, but at least Nausicaä got another vote before being eliminated.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well Pi is more a fictional film about the science of mathematics and all the answers understanding that math can offer. I consider it science fiction it's just very, very realistic sci-fi imo.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I consider it science fiction it's just very, very realistic sci-fi imo.
    Ohh...like Gravity?

Sorry, I had to.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I consider it science fiction it's just very, very realistic sci-fi imo.
    Ohh...like Gravity?

Sorry, I had to.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wow, Solaris moved on?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    wow, Solaris moved on?
    Why wouldn't it, it's one of the best sci-fi movies of all time, surely.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    wow, Solaris moved on?
    Why wouldn't it, it's one of the best sci-fi movies of all time, surely.
    Because of the human element, my friend.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was surprised because I didn't think many people had seen it

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2