Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sci Fi nominations + General updates throughout the tournament

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Let's try to keep fantasy out of it (LOTR). Science Fiction needs either some element of science or at least have thought-provoking speculation. LOTR doesn't fit that category, it is just set in a specific fantastical world.

Otherwise, I could nominate Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Or just about any martial arts fantasy movie with people flying through the air. It's outside of the realm of reality, but it's just the world those movies are set in. I could also nominate Il Mare or Ditto. But the time juxtaposition is just a setting to portray the romance. There's no science and there's no rumination or speculation on the meaning behind the fantastical elements.

Just one man's opinion.

My nomination: 48. Them. We need at least one radiation/giant bug movie right?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the way sci-fi can thematically comment on society, too, Matt, but implying that LotR is shallow just sounds biased here. Even the most insightful subtext on the human condition in a sword&sorcery film wouldn't make it part of the genre. Maybe a case could be made with one set on another world, such as Krull, that merely presenting that automatically equals scientific speculation on the existence of different worlds, but an imaginary past? And Pleasantville is not just about society - it's also about television. It is metafiction, that's how those things happen in it. Nobody thinks "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" is scifi, do they?

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

49. SOMEWHERE IN TIME

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

50. Return of the Jedi

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

51. Minority Report
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Mike, I didn't want to have to nominate Minority Report myself!

52. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I got your back, Matt. Go again though because RUBE just nominated Spotless Mind on page 3 I think.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Thanks Mike, I didn't want to have to nominate Minority Report myself!

52. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    RUBE already nominated that at #47.

Great movie, BTW.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I hit view last post and didn't see the last post on that page. All good, one less film I have nominate that someone else easily could have...need to think of some others might not think of.

52. Vanilla Sky

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

53. Super 8
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

54.FAHRENHEIT 451

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

54. The Omega Man

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

56. Sunshine

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

56. Another Earth
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

58. The Fountain (we have a double 54 there guys)

59, When Worlds Collide

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I hit view last post and didn't see the last post on that page. All good, one less film I have nominate that someone else easily could have...need to think of some others might not think of.

52. Vanilla Sky
    I'll add the original:

60. Abre los Ojos (Open Your Eyes)

(I liked both films)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

61. Predator

In honor of the announcement that they are rebooting it.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only got a few more nominations I think.

62. Wall-E

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a bunch more that I don't think most people will think about and a few that I'm shocked haven't been nominated yet.

63.The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I have a bunch more that I don't think most people will think about and a few that I'm shocked haven't been nominated yet.
    I can't believe I just nominated Wall-E since it was meant to be nomination number 1 lol. My problem is there is a lot of older sci-fi I haven't watched and probably won't. It's kind of strange when it comes to sci-fi I need some production value involved, yet I don't want a special effects fest...it's always been hard for me to take some old sci-fi sets and costumes the least bit seriously.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

64. Robocop

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    64. Robocop

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And yes I meant the original. Partly because I like the sarcastic way it semi-accurately predicts the future of the U.S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast