Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Would you like to see repeat films? Read below first!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Repeated films are fine.

21 91.30%
  • No - I do not want to see films repeated.

2 8.70%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Planning to participate in the soon upcoming SCI-FI tournament? Get in here! (POLL)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One tweak I'd propose is having multiple-choice for the first rounds. For example, if the top three move on, how about having everyone pick their three they'd like to see move on.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Does the multiple choice function allow you 3 votes maximum?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I concur with the multiple choice as I think not having really fudged up the horror tournament...think we would have seen a much different second round. You should be able to set the poll to number of votes allowed. Only being able to choose one not only kept smaller films from advancing it left us with some pretty lopsided polls. With multiple choice the races would be much tighter and much better.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just to get a more clear meaning of what this tournament will involve, would movies like The Coneheads, Mars Attacks, or Spaceballs be eligible for this genre?

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I don't have an issue with that so long as it ISN'T a horror film that happens to take place in space or something. It really needs to be sci-fi first like Alien is. If it doesn't even explore sci-fi themes outside of being in a sci-fi setting then I don't see why it would even be nominated. I'd much be seeing something like District 9 or Moon advance in a sci-fi tournament than an Event Horizon or Species, where as a movie like Splice is a sci-film with horror aspects.
    I concur with the multiple choice as I think not having really fudged up the horror tournament...think we would have seen a much different second round. You should be able to set the poll to number of votes allowed. Only being able to choose one not only kept smaller films from advancing it left us with some pretty lopsided polls. With multiple choice the races would be much tighter and much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    Just to get a more clear meaning of what this tournament will involve, would movies like The Coneheads, Mars Attacks, or Spaceballs be eligible for this genre?
    These are all excellent points and why I mentioned in the "Horror" thread, a brief discussion to define the genre and focus the nominations a little. To avoid some of these questions. Seems prudent and we should get varying view points. FWIW I would tend to view the three movies, Mystima mentioned as "Spoofs" not true Sci-Fi, but hopefully you see my point. Alien is obviously a case in point as it has been defined (here at least) as a "Horror" film, but is also classic Sci-Fi so good to go IMHO.

Just some thoughts is all. I'm not trying to stall the nominations, but it would seem prudent to take a day or so and discuss and see if we can come up with some loose parameters is all I'm saying.

Oh, and I really like the three vote idea, if it can be done.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think there's a way to limit multiple-choice polls to a certain number, unfortunately. So if there are eight choices, you could vote for all eight but we should ask people to be prudent and honest and select up to three. This can be checked by making the poll voters visible.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I don't think there's a way to limit multiple-choice polls to a certain number, unfortunately. So if there are eight choices, you could vote for all eight but we should ask people to be prudent and honest and select up to three. This can be checked by making the poll voters visible.
    when we were voting Top 100 novels, I made the multiple choice polls plus tiebreakers, and when those didn't result in anything conclusive, I also added single-choice tiebreakers. It's additional work, but totally worth it.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

I hope you can take part in this tournament, Jean. Two all-time great sci-fi films happen to be Russian: Solaris and Stalker.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think more than two or three people have watched those...

I am prepared to vote for Back to the Future! I hope it will survive long enough

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    it would seem prudent to take a day or so and discuss and see if we can come up with some loose parameters is all I'm saying.
    I would agree with that as well. I think either the multiple-choice option should be implemented, or decrease the amount of films in each poll. There were too many in the earlier rounds (especially since we could only vote for one), in my opinion. If Psycho happened to be in the mix with four other smaller horror films, maintaining our one vote minimum, they'd be eliminated right off the bat.

EDIT: Just went back to the early polls and saw that as many as EIGHT films were in Round 1 brackets. Top three moved on, but still.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm fine with trying out the multiple vote option if Feev is up for it as well. I wonder if it will make a difference. Personally I'm not sure it would have with the horror competition as the ones to make it to the finals weren't all that surprising. They were probably the strongest contenders we had.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't be surprised if the finalists were Psycho and either The Exorcist of The Shining.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    when we were voting Top 100 novels, I made the multiple choice polls plus tiebreakers, and when those didn't result in anything conclusive, I also added single-choice tiebreakers. It's additional work, but totally worth it.
    Cool, that sounds like it could work. If I we get to a situation where a tie breaker is needed and I have any questions I'll link up with you, Jean.

I hope you can take part in this tournament, Jean. Two all-time great sci-fi films happen to be Russian: Solaris and Stalker.
    Scolaris and Stalker are GOAT sci fi. Incredible films. Unfortunately I don't think Jean is much of a Tarkovsky fan. I know because it broke my heart when he told me that

I am prepared to vote for Back to the Future! I hope it will survive long enough
    Hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'm fine with trying out the multiple vote option if Feev is up for it as well. I wonder if it will make a difference. Personally I'm not sure it would have with the horror competition as the ones to make it to the finals weren't all that surprising. They were probably the strongest contenders we had.
    Yeap, I agree. The cream will always rise to the top. I think the final 4 we had were always destined to make it to this stage.

And besides, I've always found a brutal charm in having people only vote for one film. With multiple choices you're more likely to an encounter a "ehhh, fuck it, why not" vote; where as in a system where people can only vote for one, they're going to vote for the film they feel REALLY deserves it. Fully on board with multi choice system though.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Cool, that sounds like it could work. If I we get to a situation where a tie breaker is needed and I have any questions I'll link up with you, Jean.
    do! although I have to warn you: after every fucking one of the Top 100 polls I spent hours, in especially complicated cases days, tearing my hair out and screaming "what am I supposed to do with this NOW???!!!!!"

Scolaris and Stalker are GOAT sci fi. Incredible films. Unfortunately I don't think Jean is much of a Tarkovsky fan. I know because it broke my heart when he told me that
    Oh, I was just trying to show off my unorthodox tastes at that time! Though I really don't love Tarkovsky as much as some other directors you know, he is still an extremely talented director, and I will certainly watch any of his films against (probably; we don't know the selection yet) any other that might appear in this category. At least his are real films. If you know what I mean. Which you do.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

And besides, I've always found a brutal charm in having people only vote for one film. With multiple choices you're more likely to an encounter a "ehhh, fuck it, why not" vote; where as in a system where people can only vote for one, they're going to vote for the film they feel REALLY deserves it. Fully on board with multi choice system though.
    What constitutes a film that really deserves it? Its legacy? Its 'classic' status? Its quality? Its scares? Its story? Its role in the history of the genre and the films it influenced? What it means to us as individuals? What about foreign horror films that haven't reached the audience that The Shining has, does that make it less deserving? I'm sure everyone has their own reasons for voting a certain way and without multiple choices there is no subjection. Take this poll in the first round for instance: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...und-1-Group-15, it finished up:

Silence of the Lambs - 11
    Cloverfield - 1
    [REC] - 1
    Evil Dead - 3
    Dracula - 4
    Loa Condenados - 0
    We's Craven's New Nightmare - 2
    Escalofrio - 1

11 people voted for silence of the lambs while 13 voted for the other 7 films altogether, is this an accurate depiction? If everyone could vote three times, where would those extra 48 votes go? Who knows but half the votes wouldn't be practically wasted on a classic and half of the remaining votes wouldn't be practically wasted on the films that only got one vote which just makes it that much harder for any of the other 7 films to advance. While it's possible the same three films would have gotten the three most votes I doubt it in this particular group that would have happened. With another 48 votes as we'd see a more accurate consensus.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

What constitutes a film that really deserves it? Its legacy? Its 'classic' status? Its quality? Its scares? Its story? Its role in the history of the genre and the films it influenced? What it means to us as individuals? What about foreign horror films that haven't reached the audience that The Shining has, does that make it less deserving? I'm sure everyone has their own reasons for voting a certain way and without multiple choices there is no subjection.
    You're right, not everyone votes the same way so there really is no true answer to your inquiry as to which film is 'deserving'. Some people will vote for a film's technical achievements, others favor nostalgia. It's really at the mercy of the voter's partiality.

11 people voted for silence of the lambs while 13 voted for the other 7 films altogether, is this an accurate depiction? If everyone could vote three times, where would those extra 48 votes go? Who knows but half the votes wouldn't be practically wasted on a classic and half of the remaining votes wouldn't be practically wasted on the films that only got one vote which just makes it that much harder for any of the other 7 films to advance. While it's possible the same three films would have gotten the three most votes I doubt it in this particular group that would have happened. With another 48 votes as we'd see a more accurate consensus.
    Tbh I don't really care to get into What Ifs. The films that made it made it, and they made it for a reason. If the multiple choice is that much of a deciding factor for you, well you'll get you're chance in this tournament!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Tell you what, I'll take a very limited stab at defining the genre and then folks can go from there. Hopefully we can come to some sort of a consensus before, Ferny's suggested nomination date. Fair enough?

A Sci-Fi film should have at least one or more of the following...

1. Alien life forms
    2. (Relative) futuristic technology
    3. Space travel
    4. Time travel (perhaps redundant)
    5. A story based on the future (relative to the time frame in question)

There you go, its a start at least. Rudimentary? Yes, but we gotta start somewhere. BTW, FWIW "Star Wars" may be a lock for this thing, but it should be fun to take the journey.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Tell you what, I'll take a very limited stab at defining the genre and then folks can go from there. Hopefully we can come to some sort of a consensus before, Ferny's suggested nomination date. Fair enough?

1. Alien life forms
    3. Space travel

There you go, its a start at least. Rudimentary? Yes, but we gotta start somewhere. BTW, FWIW "Star Wars" may be a lock for this thing, but it should be fun to take the journey.
    I am hoping people don't forget about sci-fi films that aren't as obviously sci-fi, like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

As for this tournament I will lose all faith if none of these brilliant Science Fiction films make it out of the first round: Fantastic Planet, Dark City and Wall-E

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

1. Alien life forms
    3. Space travel

There are a lot of films that won't jump to people's minds when they think of Science Fiction but I hope that doesn't work against movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Fantastic Planet, Wall-E and Dark City: if neither of these brilliant sci-fi films passes the first round....

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

1. Alien life forms
    3. Space travel

There are a lot of films that won't jump to people's minds when they think of Science Fiction but I hope that doesn't work against movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Fantastic Planet, Wall-E and Dark City: if neither of these brilliant sci-fi films passes the first round....
    Well then, you should get to amending my list as appropriate!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

1. Alien life forms
    3. Space travel
    6. Multiverse

reminds me of Baker's Dozen

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking forward to this tourney as well. However, when it comes to "classic" sci-fi, I'm much more likely to have read the book/story than seen the movie. Case in point: Farewell to the Master; Day of the Triffids, many others. Modern sci-fi; yeah, I've probably seen the movie. Aliens, Dark City, and T2 would have to be top-10, yes?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

1. Alien life forms
    3. Space travel
    6. Multiverse

reminds me of Baker's Dozen
    Great "Add", Jean!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm assuming Multiverse would include all parallel universe films whether it's actual parallel universes or something like Existenz with multiple layers of artificial reality.

Perhaps we should make a short list of what we're looking for with a film for each as an example? Sci-Fi is so broad that even something like Limitless with Bradley Cooper can be considered science fiction even lacking everything we would considered to define sci-fi.

And are we picking just one Star Wars/Star Trek film to represent the series? There weren't too many series/sequels in the horror tournament, I just don't want 10% of the nominated films to be from these two franchises lol

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, seems like a discussion and parameters are a good idea, no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast