Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Would you like to see repeat films? Read below first!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Repeated films are fine.

21 91.30%
  • No - I do not want to see films repeated.

2 8.70%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Planning to participate in the soon upcoming SCI-FI tournament? Get in here! (POLL)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sci-Fi comedies:

Evolution
    Midnight In Paris
    The World's End
    Bicentennial Man
    Groundhog Day
    Ghostbusters

I know I'm nominating Her for sure. I have no problem with sci-fi comedies if horror comedies were not only allowed but advanced lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

What about superheroes? Superman comes from another planet. Can we nominate Superman?

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Groundhog Day but isn't the "time-travel" element of him repeating days mystical? It is definitely not technological which I am guessing would be what would make it Sci-Fi.

Here is a quote that was used on Wiki from a film critic trying to define a science fiction film:

"Science fiction film is a film genre which emphasizes actual, extrapolative, or speculative science and the empirical method, interacting in a social context with the lesser emphasized, but still present, transcendentalism of magic and religion, in an attempt to reconcile man with the unknown (Sobchack 63)."

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would agree that science fiction would have to have some element of science. Groundhog Day, as great a movie as it is, is clearly fantasy or (as RUBE put it), mystical. Whimsical, even.

Likewise, I think most super hero movies are action movies, not sci-fi. A case could be made for something like Buck Rogers to be sci-fi. But Superman, Batman, Spiderman? Not sold on that. Six Million Dollar Man? OK (but that was a TV show).

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Batman is most definitely not sci-fi.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oh shit!! I didn't even thing of those complications! In Russian, both SciFi and fantasy used to come under one single definition - фантастика - although now we too are inclined to separate the genres (научная фантастика or фэнтези), and I grew up being unable to discern between the two, unless fantasy is something unreadable about princes and dragons and swordfights.

But all the best authors are not scientific, are they? Bradbury? Sheckely? What genre are they, then?

I am confused now, because if Groundhog Day doesn't qualify, it means I totally lost all guidelines

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't mind if Groundhog Day is nominated. It isn't sci-fi per se, but features a time loop, which is a type of time travel. I would argue that a romantic comedy like About Time can also be nominated (loved it).

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Kate and Leopold?

or, to talk about serious films, Jacob's Ladder?

Country
    Country Flag

Time loop films are probably even a subgenre of sci-fi films: Groundhog Day, Edge of Tomorrow, Source Code, Timecrimes, Triangle, Looper, Primer...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I am. I get very entertained by sci-fi films that force me to consider the world, life, humans, space and time in different ways.
    Same here. It's an inherent property of science fiction that is unique to it and just can't be replicated in any other genre. I recently watched Gattaca again and watching it and pondering all of its questions makes me remember how much I love the more profound aspects of sci-fi, and not just the laser guns and robots and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    For me, proper S.F. examines "What if? questions and scenarios. I'm not necessarily looking to be entertained (although that's a huge plus); I want to have my interested piqued in a new idea. 1984 has no actual science in it at all, but to me that is a science fiction movie (and book) through and through. Ditto Fahrenheit or recently, Never Let Me Go.
    You mean like speculative Sci-Fi? Me too. It's why I have a deep admiration for the likes of Vonnegut and Philip K. Dick. I'll be hoping to see films that fall under that umbrella in this tournament. Make sure you're there to nominate them!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You guys, I've got an itchy trigger finger here. I have virtually nothing to do today and tomorrow at work and I want to get the nominations underway already hahaha.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I don't mean to open up a can of worms. I just want to be clear that we are strictly sticking to Sci-fi and not fantasy. I figured it was assumed, but you never know.
    It's just a little hard to tell the difference in some cases.

And while Spaceballs is clearly just a comedy about sci-fi, there are also sci-fi comedies - another line that's not easy to decide just where to draw.
    Like Galaxy Quest?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    You guys, I've got an itchy trigger finger here. I have virtually nothing to do today and tomorrow at work and I want to get the nominations underway already hahaha.
    what stays your hand?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Good question! I didn't want it to detract / steal spotlight away from the Horror tournament, but that contest looks all but decided soooo....

Fuck it, let's get this party started!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I don't mean to open up a can of worms. I just want to be clear that we are strictly sticking to Sci-fi and not fantasy. I figured it was assumed, but you never know.
    It's just a little hard to tell the difference in some cases.

And while Spaceballs is clearly just a comedy about sci-fi, there are also sci-fi comedies - another line that's not easy to decide just where to draw.
    Like Galaxy Quest?
    I guess so. I would say that's also not real scifi at all. Do you think it is?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In honour of your avatar and the memory of a sweaty Emily Blunt doing push ups imprinted onto my retina, I'll nominate Edge of Tomorrow once the tournament starts.
    That's cool with me, I really enjoyed it. I'm sure others might disagree. Also, a sweaty Emily Blunt doing push ups should be on the American flag.

For those that are interested, Rotten Tomatoes has a list of Sci-fi films they posted today. Might be an interesting read.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/galler...action-movies/
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

In honour of your avatar and the memory of a sweaty Emily Blunt doing push ups imprinted onto my retina, I'll nominate Edge of Tomorrow once the tournament starts.
    That's cool with me, I really enjoyed it. I'm sure others might disagree. Also, a sweaty Emily Blunt doing push ups should be on the American flag.
    Isn't Emily Blunt from the UK? May as well put Elisha Cuthbert and Nicole Kidman doing push ups too

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Voted Yes, Finally

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Is there a reason the nominations thread is locked?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I closed it on accident, Code. It should be open now.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't Emily Blunt from the UK? May as well put Elisha Cuthbert and Nicole Kidman doing push ups too
    Yes, she is English. I stand by my original statement.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I closed it on accident, Code. It should be open now.
    You closed the video game thread too.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Someone would have supported the red coats

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Someone would have supported the red coats
    As long as that red coat that Emily Blunt is wearing ends up crumpled up on my floor, yes, yes I would have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4