Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Corner & Old-Timers Inquiry

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by august1 View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for the welcome!
    Jonp, while I've been a lifelong "collector" of books I love, I've only been recently acquiring "collectible" editions. Right now I'm focused on Stephen King (the Dark Tower series) and Cormac McCarthy who is one of my all-time favorite authors. His novel Blood Meridian is at the top of that list. I also have some editions by William Gibson (Neuromancer S/L), Harlan Ellison, and Neil Gaiman. Really though I'm a fan of everything from Bukowski to Tolkien.

Cheers,

Bill
    Great Bill, I have got quite a narrow reading and collecting spectrum, no way near as diverse as yours.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to our newer members! Happy to have you here.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty narrow in my reading as well since I am rather slow and only manage a couple pages a day while I'm headed for bed. I love LISTENING to Bukowski, like William S. Burroughs, but can't really read it very effectively.
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Welcome to our newer members! Happy to have you here.

Well said, Patrick. Welcome guys!

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

In another thread i told you the story of my signed paperbacks from 1980 and hinted that my wife had an even better King story to tell. Now that i have the time and space...

Once upon a bye, long before your grandfather's grandfather was born....

Okay so it was only 1978, but hey... The lady who would one day be my wife (17 at the time) was hired by a family from massachusets to drive their 4 children from their summer camp to a day camp in East Stonington, where she would stay with them for the day and return them in the afternoon. Soon she had two more young 'uns added to the mix. Miss Naomi and Master Joe King.

Each day she would swing through Bridgton, pick them all up and head out for the day. She remembers dropping the King kids of one day while Stephen was in the kitchen, trying to decide which cover should be used for the (she thinks) japanese edition of Carrie. She remembers a black and white checkerboard-like pattern and maybe some blood.

Even better...

Another day all the kids picked blackberries at the camp and took them home where Tabatha made a pie and everyone sat eating pie and watching Godzilla on the projection tv!

May not be enough to get invited to their next bbq, but still a pretty good story to carry around.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great story, and I bet it would only take a moment for him to recollect the memory. Now getting that moment in front of him....THAT'S the tricky part.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing.

John

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    In another thread i told you the story of my signed paperbacks from 1980 and hinted that my wife had an even better King story to tell. Now that i have the time and space...

Okay so it was only 1978, but hey... The lady who would one day be my wife (17 at the time) was hired by a family from massachusets to drive their 4 children from their summer camp to a day camp in East Stonington, where she would stay with them for the day and return them in the afternoon. Soon she had two more young 'uns added to the mix. Miss Naomi and Master Joe King.

Each day she would swing through Bridgton, pick them all up and head out for the day. She remembers dropping the King kids of one day while Stephen was in the kitchen, trying to decide which cover should be used for the (she thinks) japanese edition of Carrie. She remembers a black and white checkerboard-like pattern and maybe some blood.

Even better...

Another day all the kids picked blackberries at the camp and took them home where Tabatha made a pie and everyone sat eating pie and watching Godzilla on the projection tv!

May not be enough to get invited to their next bbq, but still a pretty good story to carry around.

Admit it : that's the reason why you married her, right?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Even better...

In '78 I doubt if the book was being released in Japan. More likely the UK edition? Great story either way

EDIT: hmm no, UK release was '74. Maybe it was Japan after all - can't find any images though.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

I just showed her this and at first she said "that's it!". But on second glance, she said no, it was black and white, not blueish. It is also very possible that although Stephen liked a certain one that day, it may not have made the final cut. It's possible that that cover simply found itself in the Filling Cabinet Of History.

Gotta love mysteries...

Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice story Chris, I was 17 in 1978 too!!! About the time I started reading King.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I just showed her this and at first she said "that's it!". But on second glance, she said no, it was black and white, not blueish. It is also very possible that although Stephen liked a certain one that day, it may not have made the final cut. It's possible that that cover simply found itself in the Filling Cabinet Of History.

Gotta love mysteries...
    I suspect she was looking at something like this. I think it is a proof image for the UK dustjacket.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Never seen that before Bob. Very interesting.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Cool!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a carbon copy of a short note to King from Bill Thompson that says "Here is Carrie - British style." Pretty sure it accompanied a similar proof photo sent to King. I doubt King had much (any) input on dust jacket art or style at this point. Remember he was just thrilled at getting his first book published by anyone, anywhere.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ke7285 View Post
    Very nice story Chris, I was 17 in 1978 too!!! About the time I started reading King.
    As was I.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

John F. Kennedy Slow Mutants will become famous soon enough Slow Mutants will become famous soon enough Slow Mutants's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hello all,

Just discovered this site when I was searching for people who collect Stephen King proofs. I have been doing so quietly for many years now and I really love it. Glad to see there are many here that feel the same.

Mark

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the site Mark! Look forward to seeing what proofs you have.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Mutants View Post
    Hello all,

Just discovered this site when I was searching for people who collect Stephen King proofs. I have been doing so quietly for many years now and I really love it. Glad to see there are many here that feel the same.

Mark
    Welcome to the site Mark. I, too, collect proofs. Only seriously started about 9 months ago but I have about 35 now.

John F. Kennedy Slow Mutants will become famous soon enough Slow Mutants will become famous soon enough Slow Mutants's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for the kind words zelig and jonp. Wow, this site is great. I love to read about some of the rare proofs that I am still missing. When I see them listed as rare, and one known copy, it's not so bad. I am glad that they are elusive. I like the search. That's as fun as the acquiring.

Mark

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Mark, don't forget to check out my Collection thread: (I specialize in SK proofs!):

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-jhanic-proofs

I currently have 128 US proofs, 47 UK proofs and numerous proofs of anthologies with SK items in them, books about SK, dust jacket proofs, F&Gs, manuscripts, etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have.

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story, Chris. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome, Mark!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love your user name, Mark- and welcome to the site!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    I love your user name, Mark- and welcome to the site!
    Thank you for all your welcomes John, Patrick and Killjoy72. I really love the Proofs thread. God I wish I found this site sooner. I only have a few friends that understand what collecting means to me, and when I told some of them I found a Support Group, they looked at me like I was meeting up on a Sunday evening at a Community Center under a church, to tell a group of like minded individuals "Hi, my name is Mark and I have a collection addiction."

I am going to continue to search the thread and locate some items that I have and see if they are being talked about.

Talk to you soon.
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast